Anderson Bulldog is no more (Gibson suit)

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by geoangus, Mar 10, 2015.

1. geoangus

geoangus Member

2. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

Well, that is a bummer.

Better get one before they're gone!

3. XKnight

XKnight Member

Definitely not a threat and the design wasn't anywhere near identical. Bolt on neck, different contours/shape, different headstock, etc.

Lawyers at Gibson need something to do...

4. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

C.E.O. at Gibson needs to go.

mesa/kramer likes this.
  5. JMP99

JMP99 Member

Gotta love the litigious nature of such an arrogant person. I refuse to support any company that pulls this kind of crap.

6. beorn

beorn Member

Ridiculous -- the Bulldog wasn't even a setneck guitar! Just another reason for me not to buy a Gibson.

7. major-minor

major-minor Member

Got to admire Anderson's positive attitude towards the whole thing. Says ALOT about that company.

Buy a quality guitar: Tom Anderson

supergenius365 likes this.
  8. darchirnoj

darchirnoj Member

:( As a Gibson owner, I'm disappointed in them doing this (again).
    When I think of how (else) their resources could be utilized....instead of doing something different or better, they gotta do this.
    Why? I've never thought, " I want a Historic. Let me look up some on....HEY! What's that? A Bulldog? Hmmmm."

Come on, Gibson. You guys have more important things to do with your time and money.

This is not a knock on Anderson, btw.
    I've owned an Anderson, and it was stellar.

9. s2y

s2y Member

That and the detachable headstock. Ok, and the sketchy quality given the high price tag. :banana

10. schofnsteen

schofnsteen Member

How much will they command now. Secondary market on Tom Andersons isnt that great.

11. Devnor

Devnor Member

The Bulldog looks just like a Les Paul right down to the control layout. What were they expecting? Kudos for an original design?

I'm not surprised. They should stick to creating copies of Fenders. I own 3 Anderson guitars; ProAm, Drop Top and Classic. Amazing guitars. Go buy one of those.

12. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Demands for clips, complaints out Suhr... your tells are showing....

13. dennyman

dennyman Member

I can think of several companies that build guitars that look more like a LP than a Bulldog.

14. Eliguitar

Eliguitar Member

That sucks! I got a Bulldog special a couple of months ago and it's an amazing guitar! I also have a Les Paul with P90s and even though they look similar they're very different sounding and playing guitars.

15. GasMask

GasMask Member

Yup. That's what I was thinking. Have to wonder who is the next target for Gibson's lawyers. No guitar player or buyer is going to confuse an Anderson and Gibson, although an audience member might. Too bad Gibson can't find something better to do with their legal budget- like quality improvement/control. Seems like TA stood a good chance of prevailing, and recovering their legal expenses, but it's a big risk to take. Doesn't make me want to buy a Gibson! I would be more sympathetic if they were going after the copycat/replica builders.

16. asfeir

asfeir Member

Really bad this.. I dont think the Bulldogs were Any threat to the les Paul whatsoever. Different Guitars for different tastes. Collings next?

17. slowerhand

slowerhand Supporting Member

+1. They're just making the grey zone regarding replicas wider.

18. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

This is an utterly pathetic move for Gibson. They lost against PRS because PRS was able to spend the cash to push it all they way and they won (and rightfully so). Anderson doesn't have those resources. Gibson is just taking out the low lying fruit that takes nothing away from their business model anyway. If Anderson fought this he would certainly win using the PRS suit as precedent (however I don't blame him for not wanting to spend the resources to fight it. It's purely a business decision). The one I really wonder about is Collings--the CL and I35 are much closer to Gibsons than the Bulldog. Has Collings already received a letter? Will they fight if they do? I hope so. I'd like to see Gibson rack up hundreds of thousands of dollars of attorney fees and another loss in a federal appeals court.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  19. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

I may have missed something but how is it that Gibson can stop Anderson or anyone from building guitars that are quite clearly not Gibson Les Paul's? I keep hearing phrases like 'burden of proof' but I don't know the laws at all so was just hoping for a simple explanation. Presumably they have some sort of mildly generic copyright or patent protection on the LP formula?

Wonder how Suhr's single cut is coming along....??!!

20. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Here is the simplest explanation - anyone can sue anyone for anything and you either have the resources to contest it or you give in. Anderson chose the latter.

tone? likes this.