1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Anderson Cobra or DTT or Hollow T? Tone Differences?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by sparkle**, Sep 19, 2006.

1. sparkle**

sparkle** Member

Anderson Cobra or DTT or Hollow T?

What are the major tone differences:

Is the drop top the only one that a floyd can go on?

2. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

You might want to drop a note to Tom himself. He's very good about responding to inquiries like this.

3. pluto

pluto Member

Quick rundown-

Cobra-T shaped, but shorter (24.75) scale, mahogany body and neck (or rosewood neck). Tom has avoided putting Floyds on cobras due to the mahogany neck. With scale and body woods, this guitar sits towards the Gibson fence but with the looks of a Fender.

Drop Top T-T shaped, maple top over basswood, alder or mahogany (swamp ash in an option, but I haven't seen many drop top t's with swamp ash). Fender scale length. Maple neck. Floyd is an option. Tons of options-I personally like having a HSH configuration with the switcheroo on this type of guitar. Plays like a modern hot rodded T. The hollow version is the same, but with a softer attack, woodier, and of course lighter.

Hollow T-classic T, with alder or swamp ash body, maple neck. Traditional tele with hollow chambers. Floyd is an option.

4. sparkle**

sparkle** Member

With the DTT can you get a good "keef tone" and also a Hot rodded sound?

5. pluto

pluto Member

I associate the DTT more as a hot rodded axe than anything else, but depending on your pickup choice, maybe you can come close to getting both. Call them (their number is on their website) or email Tom or Roy at: aguitars@earthlink.net -if you can't register at the andersonforum.

6. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I agree. I still own a HDTT, and have owned a HTC as well as a Cobra w/ P90s. The HDTT is a hot rod rock guitar that can dabble in other realms.

7. sparkle**

sparkle** Member

Would any of these replace a Les Paul or PRS...
    And by that I don't mean it will sound exactly like that...
    I am thinking of replacing the LP with something easier to play and not weigh as much. 3 hours with a les paul can be painful...

8. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

The Hollow Drop Top T sounds better than the three PRS guitars (Custom 22 and 2 McCartys) I've owned. Neither PRS or Anderson will have the a$$ that a Les Paul has, but you can sure rock out with the HDTT.

9. Peppy

Peppy Member

As the former owner of two Les Paul Customs I can say that my Hollow Anderson Cobra S can indeed "replace" them.

10. pluto

pluto Member

I've played a few les pauls, have owned two cobra s's, played a few cobras, and own an Atom. IMO, the Atom comes closest of all the Andersons to capturing the vibe of a LP. The cobras are very middy and doesn't have the low end girth and chunk that an LP has. Even with the shorter scale length and body woods, the cobra or cobra s remind me more of a balls out Fender as opposed to a Gibby.

11. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have owned Les Pauls & several PRS's, and now own 4 TA's, including a Hollow Cobra, Hollow Cobra S w/3 p90s, Hollow DT SSH, and Hollow standard.
    The Hollow Cobra "replaces" - or fits the niche of - a LP or PRS, but can't quite get the exact low LP thing.

Hollow Drop Top's are extremely versitile - I really dig the switcharoo system with the internal switches to change the voicings.

12. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I owned a Hollow Cobra for a few years and it is not, and will never ever be a Les Paul. The bridge pup is anemic in comparison.

I sold mine after I got my R7.

If you want something different get an Andy, they are awesome guitars, Tom and Roy are fantastic to deal with!

BUT... if you want LP tone, get a LP, period, end of story.

13. Peppy

Peppy Member

Not sure any of us...at least my post...said the Cobra can EXACTLY replace a Paul...why I put "replace" in quotes. The question was that it would not have to sound exactly like a Les Paul and yet would be easier to play and lighter....a Hollow Cobra is indeed all that.

14. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yes, exactly. I took your post that way. I think folks are just trying to make sure that our experience of Cobra tones is accurately reflected and expectations are clear.
    If you want excellent dual HB short scale tones, like a PRS, Baker, or LP, then a Hollow Cobra is a great choice. It also has about the best split coil tones on any HB axe. It is really great for that sort of guitar.

But, as said above, for getting really accurate LP tones, get a LP.

15. Peppy

Peppy Member

Cool....thanks.

16. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

My sentiments exactly...I love my Cobra, but it's not a Les Paul (but closer to a CE).

Greg

17. mdog114

mdog114 Member

The Cobra will get you closer than the other two based solely on the scale length.

18. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

If you a r looking to replace/supplement a Paul, the Atom is the closest thing in the Anderson camp. Sounds ballsier than my DTTT and gets some good split tones.

19. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

If you are buying one Anderson get a drop top t with h/s/h pickups in my opinion. A cobra is nice but its nothing like a les paul and a classic t is great if you have h/s/h pickups not many out there. These are mine as a example.
    good luck

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]