Anderson Cobra Users

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gtrfinder, Mar 27, 2008.

1. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Dont see much discussion about these guys.
    Who here has a Cobra?
    What do you like or dislike about it?

2. jtw

jtw Member

I have two cobras that see 99% of my gigging action...

I have a standard gold top cobra with humbuckers that can be split for some pretty decent single coil tones. This one is great because I can cover a lot of tonal ground with one guitar. It also has the 2-bolt "A wedgie" neck design with SS frets.

My second one is a TV yellow Cobra special with 2 P90s. This is the grease machine. Older, standard 4-bolt neck and nickel frets. It's from '99 and I picked it up used not that long ago. This one is very quickly becoming my main player. The P90s are just perfect for my rootsy style.

I love the Cobras because you get the mahogany body and short-scale with more of a Fender feel in the body. It just suits me really well and they're very, very comfortable for me to play.

3. gtrfinder

Yeah
    I've been looking at them lately and think they'd be a really nice addition.
    Like you I like the semi-Fender body shape with a shorter scale and mahogany wood.

4. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

I had a Cobra with the standard Cobra neck. It is probably the best neck I've ever handled. The guitar was just great all around.

5. jtw

jtw Member

I know they sometimes get knocked for being "shredder" guitars or whatever, but Tom makes a very, very fine guitar. They're really great.

6. boonhogganbeck

boonhogganbeck Member

I have one myself. Two humbuckers, tobacco burst finish. Feels as comfortable as Fender and gives me Les Paul sounds. I've always thought a Les Paul felt like a bowling ball on the end of a broomstick.

7. blues junkie

blues junkie Supporting Member

I own a 2002 Hollow Cobra S it's the finest guitar I've ever owned,in fact now it's the only guitar I own ( something thats unheard of around here) I gig with it and can get very many great tones out of it.The only problem I have with it,is that I no longer gas for any guitars.Well except for another Hollow Cobra S with a M1 M1 H2+ Pickups.:dude

8. ck00g

ck00g Member

I have a Cobra S. Can't say much bad about it at all. Tone is spectacular. Focused midrange. Plays the best of any guitar I've owned.

[​IMG]

9. David Robrecht

David Robrecht Blue Fire Silver Supporting Member

I've had a Hollow Cobra for almost ten years. I love the neck and variety of tones I can get out of it. If I was forced to play only one guitar at a gig, it would probably be the Cobra. Lovely guitar.
    Dave

10. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I had a love hate relationship with my hollow cobra, loved the neck pup and hated the bridge.

I also had a wonderful cobra special that I sold to someone here on TGP, that was the best Anderson I have owned and I still miss it.

11. cody_scu

cody_scu Member

I had a used Cobra with the 2-bolt neck. I loved it, but traded it for my Shiva. I'm saving up for another one ordered the way I want it. You can't go wrong with any guitar Tom makes. :)

12. kebotrans

kebotrans Gold Supporting Member

I have owned several Cobras. I love the Mahogany Neck. It to me is one of Tom's best guitars. I think you will fins the S model a little more airy as the tele body one seems to have a little more bite and chunk to it. Only my opinion. As the other guys stated Tom makes one of the best instruments out there. Good Luck!!:AOK

13. Ironman

Ironman Member

My fave Anderson! I've only got the black one right now, it took me a few tries to get the right neck for me. I've got an oversized 60's vibe, 1 5/8" which is nice and chunky...not Historic LP fat but up there, which is what I was going for. I've tried a bunch of pups and surprisingly find Anderson's H1 and HO2 to be my favorite. They sounded the best split and full on. Cobra's have a nice thick tone, not LP Historic fat but thick none the less. The #4 position split is beautiful clean, getting into a nice fat strat ballpark tone there. A very versatile, great sounding, feeling and looking guitar. I want to pick up a Cobra S someday for a little variety, now that I've found an Anderson neck that I love.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. gtrfinder

I have the opportunity to purcahse one for $1600 shipped to me.
    It is a '98 model (non stainless steel frets and 4 bolt neck).
    Is this a decent deal?

Also how does 5 way switching and a pull knob work when there is only 2 pickups?

15. David Robrecht

David Robrecht Blue Fire Silver Supporting Member

Here's how the switch works;
    1-Full bridge humbucker.
    2-Split bridge humbucker.
    3-Both bridge and neck together. The push pull pot works in this position to split the humbuckers.
    4-Split neck humbucker.
    5-Full neck humbucker.
    $1,600 might be a little high. It depends on the condition of the guitar. Mine's a '98 and I paid $1,900 new back then.
    Dave

16. Peppy

Peppy Member

I have a Hollow Cobra S, my only guitar with humbucking pickups...enough said.

17. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

I have a Cobra special "S" guitar with three "M" pickups. The body and neck are made of Primavera (with rosewood fretboard). Primavera is supposed to be like a cross between Ash and mahogony. I haven't had the guitar very long and have not dialed-it in yet in terms of tones.

But.... The neck is the best neck I have ever played. I think it is little bit fatter than my tom anderson classic neck and it seems to fit my hand really well. Makes me think about getting another strat or strat-like guitar with a fatter neck!

The M pickups are Anderson version of a mini-humbucker...but...they are not exactly a mini-HB (they have tweaked them in some way) and make a sound that is in some ways very much like single coil pups...thus the lure of a strat-like guitar with a shorter neck length and fatter strat sounds. That's what drew me in to this guitar! I have not reached a definative conclusion yet though!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  18. blues54

blues54 Member

I have owned 2 Cobra's. I currently still have a traditional Cobra.

I owned a beautiful Red Cobra S from 2003 a lot like this one http://www.andersonguitars.com/cfPa...lery.cfm?passedID=12&finishID=21&bodyWoodID=8

except mine was more of a flame as opposed to quilted maple. The guitar was light and was incredibly versatile. The H1 and H2 pickups were almost a little too hot. A lot like a Les Paul they broke up very early and they were a little dark sounding. People who like that "Les Paul" sound would love it because of its beefiness.

My other Cobra that I bought used in 1999 is a 95. It looks just like this
    http://www.andersonguitars.com/cfPa...llery.cfm?passedID=3&finishID=84&bodyWoodID=8
    It is one of the most amazing guitars I have ever played (I'm 53 and I have played a few). Mahogany body, maple cap, mahogany neck, Indian rosewood fretboard, H01- in the neck and an H01+ in the bridge. These pickups may be the most balanced pickups on any guitar I have played or owned. The right amount of grind when you need it, they can be clean in the most pleasing humbucker way (most HU pickups break up too soon) and they can scream when you need it. Two years ago I sent it back to Tom Anderson and they re-fretted it with SS Frets. I was very skeptical but they reassured me and told me that if I didn't like it they would re-do them in nickel. The guitars plays better still. The 5 way switch with the coil splitter is so versatile. If I have to play a gig with one guitar this is the one I take.

My Cobra killed my old 72' Custom Les Paul. No contest. I have never heard any PRS or Gibson Historic Custom Shop Les Paul be able to compete with this guitar sonically or playability. I have been to music stores all over the country the last 18 months. If you find a good one you will be very happy. I have owned 5 Anderson's. 2 Cobra's, An Atom, A Hollow T and a Contoured Classic T.

Good Luck