Anderson Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jerseydrew, Jan 26, 2006.

1. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

I was in a local guitar shop yesterday and they had a used Anderson Hollow T hanging up on the wall. Since I had never played an Anderson before, I had to check it out. Wow, it was sweet. I couldn't believe how light it was too. (yes, I realize it was hollow). One of the many things that impressed me was the heal was shaved. I was much easier to gain access to the upper frets. I don't know why more guitar makers don't do that. The guitar was in immaculate shape and I was considering purchasing it.

It was $1800 with case and it looked mint with no issues. Is this a good deal? How do you guys feel about Anderson's? I can see from other threads that the resale value is not that good. I did check around to see how much new one's were. I was told starting from $2200 with most being around $2500.

Also, this guitar had the Buzz Feiten system. I've never played one before. I've read a lot about it. To be honest, the saleman says that something is done with the nut to make it sound in tune all over the fretboard. Can anybody that has this Buzz Feiten system concur that it makes a huge difference than a regular guitar?

thanks in advance

2. lhallam

lhallam Member

Absolutely love mine. Excellent neck and fret work makes the playability outstanding.

Dig the tone however, it doesn't quite have that Fender twang. I did try lots of Fenders and almost got the high-end Tele, but at the last minute I asked to try the Anderson and it was sold the moment I held it.

I had NO intention of buying a high dollar Tele. I just wanted to have one for fun but the difference was so apparent I didn't even balk. There is nothing like a handmade gtr.

I don't buy gtrs for resale, for example I still have my first electric so resale value doesn't play a part in my decision making.

Buzz Feiten keeps the intonation consistent up and down the neck. The intonation is very noticeable to me. The only problem with this is when you play with other gtrsists who don't have Feiten system you sometimes clash.

$1800 + case sounds about right.

Good luck and let us know if you get it.

3. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I've owned a couple over the years and thought they were really nice... never completely bonded with them, though, and they went out through the revolving door (but that is just me)...

they are, in general, excellent guitars...

4. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

One thing about Tom's guitars is they are very consistant in build quality. Really a fine instrument. The BF tuning is great! There is a difference and it isnt for everybody but I love it.

If you played it and loved it, I'd say go for it. You may find one for a hundred bucks less, but having the chance to try it out first is worth that difference.

Good luck with your decision and post pics if (when) you get it. :RoCkIn

Richard

5. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

Thanks guys, I'm GASing. Unfortunately I'll probably have to sell something to get it since I have no cash.

6. TonyV

TonyV Member

I think $1800 is way high for used

I have an Anderson HollowT that I bought used and it was mint. Not a mark on it and the frets were perfect like it had never been played. Case just had a few scuffs, it had all the paperwork too. $1200, but that was two years ago. Perhaps Andersons have gone up in value.

The paperwork says HollowT Classic but it has the body contours.
    I will say it is a great guitar, sounding and playing.
    To me the neck pickup is more like a bassier Strat sounding than Tele. The Bridge pickup sounds like a beefier Tele, less treble but to me in a good way.

7. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

They are great guitars. I got a used Cobra for $1200 about three years ago. Try talking the shop down on their price. The worst that can happen is that they can only say "No"...

8. guitarboy

guitarboy Member

I agree $1800 is a bit steep for a Anderson Classic Tele. I would also agree that they go for $1200-$1300 bucks, depending how much the guy wants to unload the guitar. That said, Anderson's are very cool guitars!!!
    I own a Hollow Strat Classic and a Hollow T Cobra ( w/ M1 pickups ) and
    I gig with them all the time!

9. sylvanshine

sylvanshine Member

$1,800 is a tad high, unless it's a 2005. $1,300-$1,500 seems like the range these are going for. I'd shop around or haggle, especially if it's a GC. There are a lot of these around, especially in butterscotch. The build quality is such that there isn't much difference in a 99 and a 05. Tom added stainless steel frets and there are some new pickups to play with, but nothing major. Starting in April all Andersons except the Crowdster will have the A-wedge necks like on the current Atoms. Much more neck to body contact and WAY more stable. You might want to wait if upper fret access is important to you.

BTW, there are plenty of dealers around that can order you a brand new Classic T to your specs for around $2k. IJS.

10. sylvanshine

sylvanshine Member

Officially, it's either a Hollow Cobra or a Hollow Drop Top T. :)