Anderson Hollow T -- sterile ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jeffh, Jan 20, 2008.

1. jeffh

jeffh Member

Long time Les Paul type player ( '02 R8, '07 PRS SC 245) but having been moving to the more articulate 25.5 scale. I bought an Anderson in October. It's an amazing instrument, I love the Buzz Feiten "system", looks very very cool, but I find it a little soulless.

This weekend I played two gigs, Friday night I played an Ibanez AT300 and Saturday the Anderson both nights through a Divided by 13 JRT. Great gig guitar, never had to tune it once, great clarity and note definition but just not interesting tone. A little too polite, hi-fi like, missing some of the grit.

Anyone else been down this path with the Anderson stuff ? Would a pickup swap help or is that kind of the "Anderson thing" ?

Might be the amp and it are not a good match ? Do like it a little better with my heritage AC15 or even the Hot Cat.

2. c_mac

c_mac Supporting Member

:confused:

3. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I agree w/ you totally. The other guitarist i gig w/ on Tues nights has a beautiful Anderson Tele w/ humbuckers and trem. Although it`s a work of perfection it`s very polite sounding, not enough character. I have a feeling it`s mostly the p/ups. But I can`t help but also think that all of the refinements have an effect on the sound as well. This must be what the builder was after, so maybe you can effect the tone w/ other parts of your rig. Good luck!

4. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Supporting Member

I have a Three P90 Anderson Cobra... there's nothing polite about the tone :D

sugarlou likes this.
  5. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Its personal taste, but I agree. I have played many Andersons and each was a perfect instrument as far as workmanship, playability etc. However, I found all the tones totally generic. Many guys LOVE them though, and thats what counts. Just not right for me.

6. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

I've never heard an Anderson that made me want to buy it. I don't see how you could build a more perfect bolt-neck guitar, but I do find the pickups very, ummm....Neutral. Different pickups will probably make you happy with that guitar.

7. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Supporting Member

I'd say soulless ONLY if you feel it is that way unplugged. But it seems like you really like it otherwise, so I most definitely would not give up. I think your simply used to a meatier guitar...Les Paul and PRS are nothing like a Tele. More polite certainly is accurate. A pickup swap would be too much trouble and then you'd lose the possibility of getting a "traditional" tele sound out of it. Throw something low-gain like a Timmy or Fat Boost in between it and your amp to get you into the territory that you're used to. Or just boost the gain a little on your amp.

8. KennethC

KennethC Member

I don't think it applies to all Andersons...but I had the exact same impression when I tried a Hollow T last year. Almost too nice sounding for me.

9. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

I miss my old Hollow T.

[​IMG]
    I agree they are not traditional sounding, tend to be very modern sounding. I did end up going with more vintage sounding guitars.
    I also had an amazing drop top classic, switched the pickups out but it did not change the sound all that much.
    For me, I've never played a better playing guitar than an Anderson but drifted away due to my own tonal preferences. Been thinking again about one though...
    Richard (Formerly Andersonguy)

10. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I went through a period a few years back where I had 6 or 7 Andersons, a couple of which I special ordered to my personal specs. Tom and his crew are wonderful folks to deal with and you won't find a better built guitar. The problem I had is the same as the guys posting to this thread, the tone just wasn't that inspiring to me. Not bad sounding, just sort of generic and a bit hi fi. I even tried some other pickups in a couple of them but never quite got what I wanted. Now I'm back to Fender and Gibson. Those Andersons were gorgeous though, and I really wish they had worked out for me.

For what it's worth, I have a couple of friends who love their Andersons. They also play in cover bands and use a lot of pedals to get the multitude of tones they need for their gigs. I'm more of a plug in and crank up type player, so maybe that has something to do with it too.

11. Zelmo

Zelmo Member

My question for all those finding the Hollow T a little too 'tame' is 'Why did you buy a hollow/chambered guitar'? Sounds like you'd've been better off with a solid body to begin with.

hobbyplayer likes this.
  12. Steve L

Steve L Supporting Member

I totally disagree.
    I like the sounds of the Anderson's and have been playing them since my first one in 1991 (Hollow T). I currently own four Andersons. Never changed a pickup, either.

13. jeffh

jeffh Member

Very good question. After playing anything telecaster like in town, the Anderson was the best instrument of the bunch. I too thought I would prefer a solid body, but it sounded better than any of the custom shop Telecasters I
    played, except a master built Nocaster that was a ridiculous amount of money.

Intonation and tuning stability are a big deal to me, nothing was close to the Anderson.The Anderson was the "best" instrument and definitely the best value. 3 months later not sure it is the best for me, and was curious to hear other peoples experiences

14. jbbusybee

jbbusybee Member

Ibanez make a great guitar often underrated, perhaps that 'spoilt' the Anderson for you?

15. jeffh

jeffh Member

That exactly sums it up for me. I've been thinking of buying a used custom shop Telecaster online just for comparison sake, and figure out if that is what I want, and then look for a "keeper".

Me too...

16. Dave

Dave Member

I don't currently own one, but I've had 3 Andersons and none of them had much "personality" IMO. I really think it's the pickups that make them sound rather bland. What else could it be? Every Anderson I've ever played had top notch construction, materials and attention to detail.

17. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

I eventally sold a beautiful G&L ASAT Special Semi-Hollowbody because of the lacking in tone. When played clean it sounded like heaven but no low gain vibe at all. Maybe its the hollowbody thing.

18. pokey

pokey Member

I actually like the way the stock, low output VA1 pickups sound in my 11yr old Classic. I also never really liked the volume knob placement on strats, always seemed to bump it-so the Anderson works better for me. Also like the 12" radius. Different strokes I guess.

19. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I think Anderson is making the best sounding guitars around... period. I've played many, own one, and wouldn't change a thing.

And I find the 25.5" scale no more articulate than 24.75" (And I like PRS's 25" just fine, too.)

20. Zelmo

Zelmo Member

Interesting. So you initially liked the Anderson Hollow T better than other CS Teles, and still, you now find it comes up short for what you're looking for, huh? Well, given all that you've said, I'd say it's time to slap another pu in there and see if you can find something more to your liking. You might want to try it through a BF amp also (I don't know much about the d13/JRT, or if that's their 'Fenderish' amp, or what..). You might get a little more spank out of it.