Anderson Raven

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Unexplainedbacon, Nov 3, 2018.

1. MartinC

MartinC Member

The tones in this clip leave me weak at the knees ... and fairly sure that, if I'm ever in a position to be able to order an Anderson, a Superbird it will be, spec'd the same as this one, only with a fixed bridge, my choice of neck carve and colour.

To the OP (though that was last year) ... that means I would personally go with the short scale length. And the pickups would be a PH1 in the neck and HC2 (with uncovered face) in the bridge.

Fortunately, I have something to keep me going in the meantime ... 2 PH pickups (a 1 and 2) in the mail to install in a PRS Mira ... also all mahogany, and short-ish scale ... so I'm hoping I'll get similar neck pickup tones at least to those in the clip.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  2. MartinC

MartinC Member

The PH1 and 2 arrived during the week and I got them installed today. After a couple of emails to Tom, who was super-responsive and helpful with great advice, I had them installed in standard configuration, but used the existing mini-toggle on the Mira to switch the bridge pickup between series and parallel, which adds clarity and extra chime to the bridge and both-pickups settings. There is a small volume loss, but much less than I was expecting, and not enough to throw out the balance with the neck. The bridge in parallel on its own gets into country twang very nicely.

I've only spent an hour or so so far, but very happy with the results. Much more character, clarity and articulation than the humbuckers that were in there before ... clean in particular, but overdriven too.

I might start a fresh thread on them after a bit more playing time.

3. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

Awesome! Please link the thread in this one, so we don't miss it.

The Anderson PQ and PH pickups are seriously underrated. Ultra quiet, the cleans almost sound like Filtertron crossed with a P90. But, that might just be the way all the demo people play them. I'd love to try out a guitar with them one day.

MartinC likes this.