anderson strat style trem not staying in tune, any tips?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kurt1981, Jan 30, 2012.

1. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

Hey all, wondering why in the world I can't get my anderson classic with vintage style two screw trem to stay in tune? I'm trying to float the bridge just slightly, so I can shake chords no major dives or anything, but if I push down on the bar, the strings, mainly the higher three wtend to drop in pitch slightly. If I lift the bar up, they go sharp. We're talking not a huge margin here but enough so that it's hard to keep chords in tune. I've never had a problem with this before, but it started happening a few months ago. Not sure what to try, I did take some very fine sandpaper, and try cleaning the nut slots, just a tiny swipe and that didn't seem to help matters. I'm not sure if the mounting screws need to be adjusted, I did try that too but with no dice. If I loosen the mounting screws then the bridge seems to stick and rub against the body when I pull the arm up. Maybe I just need to nob try and float it but I really do enjoy the chord vibrato thing you can do when the bridge can go up just a touch.
    So, any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Kurt

2. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

I assume you've lubed the nut and string tree with something like Big Bends Nut Sauce - makes a huge difference to tuning stability.

The mounting screws should be set for the correct height, not just tightened/loosened. If one of the screws is loose (or the bushing has loosened), you'll need to have it looked at. If that's the case, I'd re-ask this question in the Anderson forum.

3. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Most likely culprit is the nut. GEt it checked out.

4. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

talking to the anderson forrum folks on this too, but I did probably change those screws, not sure how to know what the proper setting is for them now.
    Thanks guys,
    I've not tried lubing the nut, does that really help at all?
    Thanks,
    Kurt

5. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

6. rushcentrale

rushcentrale Member

Yes nut lube works great if that's the problem