Anderson VA-7 single coils compared to other singles?

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
Platinum Supporting Member
Just curious what any Tom Anderson S-Type owners think about the VA-7 single-coil versus the many other single-coil (strat) manufacturers.

I've had the VA's in my TA for a few years, and while I like them, I have recently thought about trying another manufacturer, if for no other reason than curiosity/complacency...

I'm not a stray-guy (but I'm trying dammit) and I have very little experience with single-coils.

Looking to keep it vintage 50-60's type tones. I only need the neck and middle pup, as I have a SD '59 humbucker in the bridge, which is splittable.

Any thoughts? I need decent output to keep-up with humbucker. Thanks!

pipedwho

The VA-7 are a nice glassy sounding single coil that has great clarity and chime. You could find a different pickup from somewhere else that will sound very different depending on what magnets are being used and how they're wound. The VA-7 sits in a sweet spot that really sounds like a Strat would have sounded like when bought new back in the 50s/60s.

If you want a more worn out warmer sound, you could try something with an Alnico-2 magnet.

If you play exclusively rock and blues, you could look for a hotter pickup from Seymour Duncan to match your '59 in the bridge. Maybe even some stacked singles in the neck/middle would work well to get rid of the single coil hum if that's a problem for you.

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
Platinum Supporting Member
The VA-7 are a nice glassy sounding single coil that has great clarity and chime. You could find a different pickup from somewhere else that will sound very different depending on what magnets are being used and how they're wound. The VA-7 sits in a sweet spot that really sounds like a Strat would have sounded like when bought new back in the 50s/60s.

If you want a more worn out warmer sound, you could try something with an Alnico-2 magnet.

If you play exclusively rock and blues, you could look for a hotter pickup from Seymour Duncan to match your '59 in the bridge. Maybe even some stacked singles in the neck/middle would work well to get rid of the single coil hum if that's a problem for you.

Thanks @pipedwho

I've been happy with the Anderson single-coils, and have nothing negative to say about them, but my inexperience with single-coils has me wonderin'.....:)

I wouldn't necessarily want anything "hot", though I'm curious to what SD pups you'd suggest? I sent Klein an email a few days ago, as I've owned a set humbuckers and tele pups from him, I thought they sounded excellent.

I also was looking at the Fender Tex Mex pups, as these seem to be a bit more "aggressive" and I wouldn't mind lowering the middle pick-up a shade.

Thanks again for your suggestion!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom