Anderson´s M and TM pu's; how are they?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Digidog, May 29, 2015.

1. Digidog

Digidog Member

I'm curious about Anderson guitars (I'm still sniffing around for my next guitar purchase) and I look at their Drop Top Classic model with single coils. As I understand it, the M and TM series are Anderson's own innovation, but what are they like in sound and playability - like tonal usefulness and versatility?

Is there anyone playing an Anderson with M or TM pu's here?

I would appreciate it to hear of your opinions and experiences!

2. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I have the Crowdster which has its own version of M's, they sound very gretsch-ey in there. Don't have a sound sample to put up, and they're a little different from M's for regular electric anyway.

I also have a T Classic with a TM in the bridge.

Here's a detailed sample comparison of that guitar with a typical tele setup vs. a tele neck and TM bridge (I've since added a middle pickup, but that's not in this sample).

I love 'em myself, but if you're looking for classic strat sounds, they might not be the best choice.

Anderson makes such great guitars. I've owned none better, and very few that were as good. (My Suhr was as good, a Soloway I had for a little bit, and some Heritage stuff, that's about it.)

3. Pietro

oops, forgot the youtube.

4. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

Their pickups are great.

5. GasMask

GasMask Member

Here's a picture of my old TA. Personally, I really liked the M1 pickups. They are very much as described on the TA website. A lot more versatile than typical single coils. I did keep crashing into the middle pup though, it was right where I pick. :eek: Didn't like the bridge H3 humbucker on this guitar though- much too dark.

[​IMG]

6. DC1

DC1 Member

Used the M series on a recent custom from Top Gear in San Diego. Wonderful PU's. Can't rate them highly enough. Detailed, smooth, balanced, and if you dig in they will get as bold as you could want with OD.

dc

7. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

I have the TMs in an Anderson I bought in November, which is now my main guitar. I like them quite a bit, speaking as someone who finds most singles a little thin for my taste but has also moved away from full humbucker roar; I've used HD z-90s in my guitars for the last 6-7 years. They have the articulation and trebles of a single coil with a little more muscle in the mids, but absolutely no noise. I also have the TA kickback circuit, which seems to thin out the lower mids nicely; still not a true single coil sound, but great for sparkly rhythm playing. It's fair to say that I bought that guitar in part because of the unique pickups, and don't really feel any desire to switch them out.

I too have found the TA humbuckers to be dark and higher output.

Joe

8. Pietro

True of anything with a "3" or "3+" in the name, but the HC's I have in my hollow atom are neither dark nor high output.

9. McShred

McShred Supporting Member

Great in the neck and middle, I didn't love it in the bridge

10. DaveK

DaveK Member

I have an Alder Classic with M1's in the neck and middle. They are more low output humbucker tone than single coil,and I like them going into amps that are on the bright side,otherwise they are just a bit dull in the highs. Don't expect an overwound big single coil tone,more like 60-70% bucker,30-40% single. If you find typical single coils thin and harsh,too glassy,you probably will like the M1's.