• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

andy griffith fishin hole theme?

neastguy

Silver Supporting Member
anyone know the chords to that one? I'd like to figure it out fingerstyle.. I know I'll be able to get the bass and melody but I'm having a hard time hearing what the chords are during the walking bass line.. I figure some of you guys can just hear it and know them pretty quick, doesn't sound to difficult.... thanks.....

JonR

It's in Db, which is a tricky key, so here it is in C (capo 1 for original key):

A section
|C - C/Bb - |Fmaj7/A - Fm69/Ab - |C/G - Am7 - |D9 - G(7) - |
|C - C/Bb - |Fmaj7/A - Fm69/Ab - |C/G - G7 - |C - - - |

B section
|F - - - |C - - - |F - - - |C - - - |
|F - - - |C - - - |D7 - - - |G - (G7) - |

Those first 2 bars are essentially the standard C-C7-F-Fm jazz sequence, but the melody hits maj7 and 9 on those final 2 chords, which is what makes it complicated. (There's a D in the last chord too.)
You can also play the Am7 as A7. (I found a jazz version that does that, and also plays altered versions of the G7 chord!)

The instrumental (whistling) section modulates to F (first section chords a 4th up).

Good luck with the fingerstyle arrangement! (I tried it, but can't find an easy way of playing both tune and bass line on those first 2 bars - it's possible with no other chord tones, but sounds a little stark that way.)

neastguy

Silver Supporting Member
It's in Db, which is a tricky key, so here it is in C (capo 1 for original key):

A section

B section

Those first 2 bars are essentially the standard C-C7-F-Fm jazz sequence, but the melody hits maj7 and 9 on those final 2 chords, which is what makes it complicated. (There's a D in the last chord too.)
You can also play the Am7 as A7. (I found a jazz version that does that, and also plays altered versions of the G7 chord!)

The instrumental (whistling) section modulates to F (first section chords a 4th up).

Good luck with the fingerstyle arrangement! (I tried it, but can't find an easy way of playing both tune and bass line on those first 2 bars - it's possible with no other chord tones, but sounds a little stark that way.)
awesome thanks.. cant wait to try this and start arranging....... I might transpose it up to E.. I noticed it was in Dflat also

M

Member 995

I have a transcription of this version in an old "Fingerstyle Guitar" magazine:

Parts of it are stellar.

Buddy Boy

Jon, is there a reasonably friendly fingering you like for that Fm69/Ab? Keeping the bass on the low strings is a stretch it seems.

A section

B section

JonR

Jon, is there a reasonably friendly fingering you like for that Fm69/Ab?
Yes, that's the tough one...

I've just worked on this a little, and I think the following tab might work for the first 2 bars (nothing like as fancy as the video posted above! - which is in Eb, btw, E a half-step down):

Code:
      C     C/Bb    F/A     Fm/Ab   C/G     Am      D9      G
-----|-------------|------3--------|---------------|0-------------|-------
-----|------8------|5--------------|5-----------1--|----1-3-------|------
-----|5-----------5|----5---------5|----5---2------|--------------|-------
-5-7-|---5------5--|----3-------3--|----5-------2--|----0------0--|-------
-----|-------------|---------------|--------0------|--------------|-------
-----|8-----6------|5-------4------|3--------------|2-------3-----|-------
Cleverer players would be able to embellish that a little. (The C/G voicing is not the best sounding, but quite easy to play from that position).

neastguy

Silver Supporting Member
ah... this sucks being at work and being able to play around w/ this... lol

neastguy

Silver Supporting Member
messed around with the tab this morn.. pretty cool... I think I'm going to work it up in E though as soon as I get some time... only had 5 minutes this morn...

JonBNK

I don't have a scanner. I'll dig around for the magazine and see if I can take a picture of it. :)
I know that I'm about 6 years late on this forum, but I'd like to know if the fingerpicking magazine transcription was ever uploaded anywhere.

cameron

Just a bit of trivia- this has lyrics and Andy sang the original version. After hearing it, producers decided to redo it in the whistled version we all know.
Andy Griffith was a music major at UNC and participated in student productions of Gilbert & Sullivan operettas and other musical theater. He starred in one Broadway musical, the original production of Destry Rides Again, in 1959-60. He was nominated for a Tony award as Best Actor in a Musical for that show.

Last edited:

Axis29

One of my favorite bands (just opened for them Sunday and they played this one to finish out the encore... Very entertaining!

Top Bottom