Andy Summers: CE-1 or Not?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by niseiworks, Feb 3, 2006.

1. niseiworks

niseiworks Member

I see so many postings referring to chorus pedals being "Andy Summers in a can", particularly those CE-1 clones out there. My understanding is that with the Police, Andy Summers "chorus" sound was actually an EH Electric Mistress or MXR Phase 90 (or some combination of both). I've never seen any interviews or information that claimed that he ever used a CE-1.

So what's with all the association of a CE-1 type chorus sound wih Andy Summers? From my experience playing with a CE-1 and all the soundalikes out there, they make great "chorus" sounds but it ain't Andy. Plug in an Electric Mistress: boom, it nails that classic Police tone.

This leads me to my next question: who's going to build a better "Filter Matrix" pedal clone (smaller, low noise, true-bypass, LED)? My '70's EH Electric Mistress pedals are falling apart!

2. duckbunny

duckbunny Supporting Member

FWIW, I agree with you about the CE-1 and the EM.
    Try a Maxon CS9 Pro in stereo (The outputs have an inverse function)

From the website:
    "The real secret behind the CS-9 Pro's amazing tone lies in the Delay Time control. The Delay Time control exhibits an inverse relation between the delay time and the frequency shift of the chorus - as the delay time increases, the frequency that is shifted decreases. This inverse relation creates "double level" and "cancellation" peaks and notches at particular frequency points to create an amazingly realistic, three-dimensional chorus effect."

Don't entirely understand it, but it can nail Summers.

-db

3. erksin

erksin Member

He also used Roland JC-120s - those had the CE-1 built in...

4. Jet Rink

Jet Rink Member

I think the allusion is to the sound Andy got when he would run an Echoplex into another Echoplex (get out your wallets now, boys!). This allowed him to layer parts. Nowdays, I bet he'd be pretty hip to loopers.

If I'm responding to the wrong reference... well, then ... nevermind.

Jet

5. Wooley

Wooley Member

It was my understanding too that he used an original Electric Mistress, and I have a couple of them also, and his tones can be clearly found in them. That said, I have heard choruses that seemed to nail it as well, in much the same way that my Ross Flanger can dead nail a chorus sound. But if I was gonna play Summers, I'd stick to my Mistresses.

6. msp

msp Member

what other ce-1 clones are there besides the retro-sonic chorus? (wich nails the old police tones by the way)

i knew some were loosley based on that design but not of any that were clones

7. Alejandro

Alejandro Supporting Member

Ibanez CS-9 is pretty good emulating Police chorus

8. psytechguy

psytechguy Guest

I remember reading an article about his setup years ago and he was using a couple of CE-2's.

9. trisonic

trisonic Member

Which Summers?

You know this guy has been around forever? It was he who lent Eric Clapton his own Les Paul after Eric had his stolen after the "Beano" sessions in early 1966 (it was the guitar on "Fresh Cream"). I remember Andy fondly in "Zoot Money's Big Roll Band" - btw Zoot retains status as best Rock 'n' Roll name ever.....

Sorry, I know you all mean The Police era but he has been around a long time
    (must have a terrible picture in the attic).

Best, Pete.

10. niseiworks

niseiworks Member

Thanks for the tip on the CS-9.

BTW, I found this page

http://web.tiscalinet.it/andatta/effectspage.htm

Interesting photo of the Cornish designed pedalboard.

Also, good comment on "which Andy?". The man has had multiple phases to his career, although I was referring to his days in the Police.

This is whole other thread altogether but I can't say a lot of positive things about what he's done since. His instructional video and performance with the Police at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame left a lot to be desired. I get the impression that as an artist, he's over what he did with the Police and would rather be recognized for some of his more recent work.

Sort of a shame, because I would love to see a reunion tour but I know it would be pretty disappointing.

11. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

12. BrewGuitar

BrewGuitar Member

I found this thread during a search about the EH Electric Mistress so I am resurrecting it. I just secured a vintage EM (non-deluxe) and have yet to find the settings for Andy Summers Police sound, such as the chords on Walking on the Moon. Does anyone have any suggestions for the EM settings? Also, what guitar and amp would he have been using at the time?

13. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

I recently spent quite a bit of time browsing Andy Summers youtube interviews/clips and seeing several different variations of his setup from the beginning to the most recent tour. Head on over when you've got a day to kill. :D

14. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

Believe it or not, you can get stellar Police textures out of the flanger patches on a Line 6 MM4. It takes some twiddling, but definitely gets closer than any chorus pedal.

15. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

The CS-9 pro is an awesome sounding chorus for sure, and very flexible. My only problem with it was it did not have enough clean headroom.

16. seiko

seiko Member

Do't forget the MXR Dyacomp that was almost always on in those days, that's a big part of the sound. I saw one setup where he had a Dynacomp at the beginning of the chain to push signal and another at the ed of the chain.

17. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

Yeah, he did use that chorus sound sometimes (Every Breath You Take used the Roland chorus, I think), but his coolest modulation sounds were from the Mistress, IMHO.

18. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

I think Walking on the Moon was chorus too.

19. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

The Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus claims to be a sonic replica of the CE-1.

20. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

I swear it sounds like he likes to layer modulation effects...

Like the Mistress into a Space Echo, may give you chorused Flange...
    The Phase90 into a Flanger is another sound (the Message break-down?)
    It sounds like a lot of chorus on Zenyetta --could be the JC-120, which I've heard is the closest to a CE-1.

CE-2 does not sound close IMO. The MXR flanger and Chorus sound best if you don't have a Mistress.