Angeltone Strat Pickup Sound Clips

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Frostbite Slim, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Frostbite Slim

Frostbite Slim Member

Well I finally got around to uploading these clips of a set of Angeltone 5S7 Stratocaster Pickups. These are the set that I have talked much about here on TGP.

With the help of fellow TGP member Cbluze, I think they turned out pretty good (I hope).

The clips were recorded with my Naked Body Guitar '61 Strat Relic. The clips were made through a blkface Super Reverb.

Give them a listen at... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=845500

2. judsonabts

judsonabts Member

i have seymor duncan antiquities in mine - sound good - albeit kinda weak - i love my strat

3. Dion

Dion Supporting Member

Thanks for sharin', sounds great!

4. Frostbite Slim

Frostbite Slim Member

I hope to do another set of clips, but this time using an OD pedal. I wanted to showcase the pups with NO effects of anykind. The above clips are just plugged straight into the amp and NO reverb.

5. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

Those do sound nice and Stratty!

Did you change any tone settings when you switched to the middle and middle/bridge?

How did you have the tone settings on you SR?

Thanks!
    Keith

6. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Would this OD happen to be the Maxon OD-9 Pro + ? I would love to hear it with the super. BTW think I found one man, a '66 with CTS Alnicos for $1100. Im driving to pick it up in the morning.:AOK

7. Seegs

Seegs Member

generally I liked em although the neck/middle didn't seem to quack much...probably just a pup height tweak...

middle was da bomb and bridge/middle was cool...

after listening to the clips I might lower the neck a tad and raise the bridge pup a bit...ymmv!

Chow,
    Seegs

8. Frostbite Slim

Frostbite Slim Member

Hi Keith....There were no settings changed on the guitar or amp for the clips. The guitar had all the tone and Vol. controls wide open (10) and the Super was set to the following...

V- 4
    T- 6
    M- 4.5
    B- Almost 5

Of my two Supers, the one used for the recording was the "cleaner" sounding one.

Yes, the OD clips will be using the Maxon OD-9 Pro +. I hope to do those soon.

Score on the Super man! Let me know how it goes and if you need help with it.

Your right about pickup height. I tweaked them till I found the tone I liked. There really set low right now and while "tweaking" them, I could get them to quack much more. I settled on a tone that worked best for my needs.

I do love that middle pup and I'd say my fav is the neck. Very clean and punchy. Then again, I really like that bridge pup..not too ice picky or thin.

9. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

Thanks. While I might agree that the neck/middle could use a tad more quack I really liked how the middle alone and the middle/bridge and bridge don't sound to bright and thin comparatively.
    Usually too get my neck/middle to quack nicely when I switch to the middle or middle/bridge and especially bridge alone they are WAY too bright.

I set up my Super similar but couldn't ever run the bass up past about 3 at most.

Is this set the "special" set you were telling me about or the regular 5S7 set?

More clips!

10. Frostbite Slim

Frostbite Slim Member

Yeah, it's a bit of "give and take" when setting pickup height. In some instances you can dial in the Neck,Middle, Bridge to perfection and then have the 2/4 positions sound so-so. I spent several days fine tuning the pickups heights when I first installed them.

These are the standard 5S7 set, although Ken (owner/winder) can tweak them to your desired needs. Just tell him what you're after and he can wind it for YOU.

When I record the OD clips, I plan on also recording clips with the "Special" 5S7 set Ken wound for me. The "Special" 5S7 set really takes TONE to the next level!

Stay Tuned.

11. acpkenny

acpkenny Member

Hello all,

I am happy that Marcus likes my pickups so much. I was surprised to see that he posted clips of my pickups on the site - and no, I didn't put him up to it. Really.

I believe that a good set of pickups, no matter who makes them, should be easily adjustable to make any desired tone. In fact, not being able to 'tune your tone' for more quack (or whatever you need) with a pickup height adjustment to me is probably a sign of a substandard pickup. A good pickup should accentuate the good things about the rig you're playing, never hide flaws.

Yes, the set Marcus is playing in the clips is a 'standard' 5S7 set, but I really don't do a 'standard' set. I like to talk to the purchaser before I make their pickups to see what kind of music they like, what kind of woods their
    guitar is made of, and even what kind of amps and strings they use. All of these different things are important because each one really does help
    make a difference in the final tone you hear. Only after knowing these things do I start making your pickups.

Thank you,

and Thank You Marcus and Cbluze too,:BluesBros

Ken
    DISCLAIMER - maker of Angeltone guitar pickups