Angled/Straight 4x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TheAmpFactory, Jan 23, 2012.

1. TheAmpFactory

TheAmpFactory Member

Hi
    Just wanted a lil heads up on this.
    Currently using a combo+a 2x12 cab
    But am thinking to replace with a head and a 4x12 cab.. easier for me.

But what are the difference between a angled 412 and a straight 412? - is it just for a better spread of the sound? or something else?

Thanks

2. pappafox

pappafox Member

I went through the same question a few years back, and settled on a slant 4x12 for a few reasons. Foremost; our band plays a lot of bar gigs where stage size can be an issue, so I wanted a cab that directed some of the sound upward. I also think my 50w smallbox Marshall looks cooler sitting on top of a slant. A lot of players swear by the straight cabs, but I have no regrets at all with the slant.

3. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

My experience makes it difficult to compare since it IS a bit of a apples oranges scenario... but...

I used a 1995 1960bx cab with Scumbacks for 3 years.

I then more recently found myself in possession of a 1974 Marshall B cab with Creamback (greenbacks) speakers.

The Straight cab was INSTANTLY better sounding. I was planning on switching out the vintage speakers for the Scumbacks, but liked the sound so much I decided not to mess with the mojo and leave the cab stock.

Now, as I said, different speakers. BUT, I noticed a better, warmer, less strident treatment of frequencies which brought out a better bass response (even though scumbacks speakers have a better bass response themselves)

THe angle of the speaker to your head IS something I miss. So if you're playing tiny stages and need that sound to be up at your head, you might want to go angled... but I honestly feel that straight cabs sound better.

...remember, Jim Marshall designed the angle cab for only one purpose: It looked better with an amp on top. So he was doing it for cosmetic reasons only.

4. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

+1 good summery by Tyler.

Think about the reflections going on inside an angled cab.... You are going to get areas of increased and decreased response.. You're trading this uneven response for a wider dispersion in a slant cab.

5. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

There have been some pretty big threads devoted to this subject and, based on the consensus in those discussions, I went with the straight cab. Most people feel it sounds bigger and beefier (including some notables, like Joe Bonamassa) and does not suffer from the phasing issues some perceived with the angled cab. Many people who've tried both also disliked how the angled cab hits you in the head too directly, making it too difficult to get the right volume for the room. Others liked that effect.

6. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

I could be wrong, but I also seem to remember somebody posting a quote by Big Jim that he didn't care for the sound of the angled cab, but that the looks won him over.

7. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

Given your going from a 2x12 to a 4x12, bigger and beefier will be a given already. I like the angle because I like getting some volume around my ears but I'm also 6'2 and the straight cabs gave me problems unless I had my own monitor. My volume would be much louder out front than what I could hear standing by it. I use to take the rear casters off my straight Marshall to slant it till my head fell off one day and quite honestly, My ears are not sensitive to some of those minuet details mentioned, at least nothing I could E.Q out.

8. StoneAge Cabs

StoneAge Cabs Silver Supporting Member

Slant cabs are different sounding than straights. Why? They (slants) feature a two-piece baffle board (2 spkrs on each board), and they are on two different planes....as opposed to the straight 4x12, which features all four speakers mounted on a one piece baffle, same plane. In addition, the slants have a bit less cu in due to the angle.