Angus Young Revealed his Missing Link to Guitar Player

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by Tonesmiths, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Tonesmiths

Tonesmiths Member

Angus Young just spilled the beans to Guitar Player about his current use of The Schaffer Replica, a non-wireless reproduction of the compander/boost circuitry in the SVDS wireless unit he and Malcolm used live and on all of their iconic recordings. Apparently he was not alone. There's a growing list of guitar gods who were on to this secret before the FCC put the kibosh on it's wireless frequencies back in 1982.

AC/DC, Ace Frehley, Aerosmith, America, Black Sabbath, Blondie (Chris Stein), Bob Weir, Bootsy Collins, Boston, Carlos Santana, Derringer, Fleetwood Mac, Foghat, Foreigner, Frank Zappa, The Grateful Dead, Heart, Heatwave, Kansas, Kiss, L.T.D., Pat Travers, Peter Frampton, Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd, Randy Bachman, The Rolling Stones, Steve Miller, Steven Van Zandt, Styx, Thin Lizzy, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Todd Rungren, Eddie Van Halen, Yes, ZZ Top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

thank you for posting that.
    great read.

3. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

Awesome. I learned about this some time ago, and knew that there is a replica, but not the pedal version. Back in Black tones are ,imo, the best AC/DC tones of them all and I will definitely be interested in the pedal version.

Does the the pedal version recreate the tones like the actual unit? That's my question.

4. Tonesmiths

Tonesmiths Member

Solodallas has worked very closely with retired Eventide EE Bob Bishop to ensure that both the tower and the pedal sound identical to the original SVDS. The only difference, other than them not being wireless like the original SVDS, is improved power filtering and a much lower noise floor. The tower is more costly because it features a larger enclosure, veiwmeter, and has larger through-hole mounted components. The Schaffer Replica pedal has smaller components of the same values surface mounted to the PCB. The tone is exact though.

5. Emplexador

Emplexador Member

the initial pedal offering actually was different than the tower. The pedal then had to be looked over by probably the person mentioned to clean up the circuit. It's very expensive for what it does and trying to justify $1000 tower because of size and viewmeter is silly. This is eye-candy for the rich. A $300 Keeley Comp Pro gives me what this tower-pedal does and much, much, much more.

6. Tonesmiths

Tonesmiths Member

The Keeley Comp Pro is a great pedal, but a very different sounding circuit.