Ann Arbor, MI. What do you know?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Papa Van Smack, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Papa Van Smack

Papa Van Smack Member

I'm doing my own research but I'd like to here some personal experiences if some of you may have been there, live there etc. I have an opportunity to move up there in October for work, and it would be a very solid career move for me, so I'm really just digging for general info.

So far it seems that cost of living isn't necessarily low, there's a University there, and the winters are cold. I'm from Chicago, so that's no big deal. If you have any information, please share.

2. Captain Midnite

Captain Midnite Member

A2 used to be a rock 'n' roll town many years ago. Now, it's corporate town. Skyscrapers going up. A nice, pricey, liberal bubble. Has one of the best folk venues in the world, The Ark. Speaking of venues, they're going away, like everywhere else.

Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo also rock.

3. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

It's a beautiful, fun Big 10 college town.
    Northern MI is only 3-4 hours away (this is where I'm moving in April!)
    You could do a LOT worse than A2!

4. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

I lived there about 10 years ago and saw Shane Battier in the parking garage on Washington St.

5. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I lived there for three years back in the early '90s. Those were some good years.

Like moosewayne said, it's a Big 10 college town, with all that entails. Lots of pretty girls, some decent bands come to town.

And now I live in another Big 10 college town, so I guess I really liked it...

6. Jp2558

Jp2558 Member

Cool town. Traffic sux. A bit expensive for the midwest but if you are coming from Colorado not much different. AA art fair is fun. Lots of good music that comes through the town. They have a music store with a chair John Lennon sat on.

7. sleewell

sleewell Member

Cool city, terrible football team.

8. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

i heard Bo Shembeckler rattling his chains.

i once rode my Honda there from detroit on a sunday..looking for the campus but couldn't find it.:messedup

9. kush06

kush06 Member

I wasn't a fan of the city. I spent a month there training for a company I got a job with that was based there about 7 years ago, so Im sure things have changed some.

It was the middle of winter, which I wasn't used to having lived in Texas the previous 20 years. I grew up in the midwest but damn it was just bitterly cold and snowed the whole time so it was a miserable frozen wasteland. I bet the area is pretty nice outside of winter though. The only things to do seemed to be centered around the U of M campus. People weren't very friendly but Im probably used to outgoing southerners. Food was pretty meh. I got kind of freaked out after watching the news at night where they spent about a third of the time talking about all the murders in Detroit that day. Every day. I had heard a lot of good things about the city, and Im sure there are, but it just wasn't a fit for me.

10. Selsaral

Selsaral Member

I've lived here for 25 years. Love it. Yeah the winters are rough, it's michigan. "Up north" is endless vacation material. The city is a bit pricey but the economy is ultra strong due to the university. Pretty solid music scene for the times.

11. celticelk

celticelk Member

I've lived in Ann Arbor for ten years now, and I lived in both Chicago and Kalamazoo before that. Winters here aren't a patch on Chicago for cold, as a general rule, and are nowhere near as bad as the west side of MI for snowfall - we get some of the temperature-buffering effects of Lake Michigan while being outside the lake-effect snowfall belt. Living in Ann Arbor proper is bloody expensive, but the outlying communities (Ypsilanti to the east, the townships, Dexter, and Chelsea to the west) are much cheaper and within reasonable commute times for someone accustomed to major urban commutes. There are some good music venues in the area, especially the Ark for folk and world music, and UM brings in some notable artists on occasion - Alice Coltrane and John Scofield have both played shows for the University Music Society in the last couple of years, and Bill Frisell is coming in March. It's also a reasonable driving distance to Detroit for shows. A lot of smaller bands on regional tours, though, skip MI entirely because it's not conveniently on the routes connecting other Midwest cities. A lot of the doom and post-metal bands I'd like to see live don't get any closer than Chicago or Cleveland. A2 is a wasteland for musical instrument shops, though: there's a Music Go Round, and then there are GCs in Jackson and Canton, each about a 30-45 min drive. There are other independent shops in the Detroit area, though, and we're only an hour or so from Elderly Music in Lansing.

12. oneidabow1

oneidabow1 Member

...there's a Cabelas about 30 miles from there. It's worth moving there for that reason alone.

13. Jp2558

Jp2558 Member

The Cabelas is in Dundee. Actually if you wanted a real small mid-western farm town with a very low cost of living Dundee would be a nice choice. And if you wanted big city stuff you can choose from AA, Detroit or Toledo, all less than an hour away.

14. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Ann Arbor is kind of a funny town.it has changed a lot since the late sixties and seventies in some ways it's hardly changed at all.it's a small Midwestern industrial and railroad town with a giant State University at the heart of it. Thus there were conflicts Republican vs Democrat liberal vs conservative, town vs gown.The days of radicals vs the city government are gone and the Big U is pretty dominant. Lots of development in the city and surrounding formerly rural areaslike Brighton as Detroit has moved north and west.places like Dexter used to be out in the sticks little farm towns though Johnny Thunders lived in Dexter for a while. The Chrysler plant I use to live across the street from in A2 is now loft condominiums.lots of arts and music nice Farmers Market in Kerrytown Zingerman's has great food and is nationally famous Still lots of vestiges of hippie culture like food co-ops alternative lifestyles. Great parks in and outside of Ann Arbor. Ann Arbor was the city of the five dollar pot fine and John Sinclair and the white Panthers/MC5/SDS. Michigan marijuana laws are pretty close to Colorado if you get a card.

P.S. I'm not sure how much of local monthly paper the Ann Arbor Observer is available on line but its worth checking out.

And you are about a 7 to 8 hour drive from Ishpeming and Negaunee in the UP.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015