Announcing song names before you play them.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 55hz, Feb 18, 2012.

1. 55hz

55hz Member

Am I the odd man out because I don't like to tell the crowd what song we're going to play? I like to hear that shouting, and clapping, when the crowd recognizes the song... The pleasant surprise. Some people feel like they HAVE to tell everyone first.

Where do you stand?

2. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

Don't do it for every tune but do it for some..

Jeff

3. s2y

s2y Member

AND you should announce the guitar solo! GEEEE TAR!!!

4. clarkram

clarkram Member

This, usually up to the front guy, unless we just jump into the next tune on the set list.

5. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

I ike the Hendrix approach, "this next song was written in the Ben Franklin studios in 1776" and then play Hey Joe :huh

6. eliot1025

eliot1025 Supporting Member

Announce the wrong title. Make it very wrong.

7. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

My band (usually me) does it for maybe three out of six songs, three out of seven. Sometimes, if it's one of our covers, we'll just mention the artist we're covering. I do it a lot with our original material, too, just say this is one of our own concoctions/lab experiments/crimes against the state . . .

8. straticus

straticus Member

Not if you're a cover band. But it can enhance the audiences experience of an original song if there's an interesting story behind it. Our front person will sometimes give the name and a very brief back story in those cases.

9. Scafeets

Scafeets Silver Supporting Member

Hardly ever. "And then, here's one we just wrote:" [start Sweet Home Alabama]

10. MES10

MES10 Member

LOL:rotflmao

11. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

Nobody cares...If the bands good...The crowd will recognize the song (if a cover band). Keep the music goin, the drinks flowin, the dance floor full.

12. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

This is our approach too.

"Here is an original tune" is usually how we introduce half of our cover songs. It's sort of a running gag.

13. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

"This one is called ***. We didn't write it, but appreciate you cheering for the folks that did!"

14. stevel

stevel Member

One of my chum's cover bands would do this:

"We're going to play one of our originals now"

Mass exodus from the dance floor.

I told them, don't tell them you're going to play your own song. Just play it.

15. stevel

stevel Member

Seriously though, the coolest way I've always thought was when people don't just announce the song or artist, but do something more creative (we are artists FGS). "Let's get funky" [commence Funky Music], or [Funky Town starts] "y'all come on a trip with me down to Funky Town".

Listen to the radio DJ's who do this well and are able to time it to right before the lyric starts.

I'm always reminded of the "we're gonna play now" thing from Hee Haw whenever I hear someone say "we're gonna do ..."

I don't like to hear it on every song - it becomes a little scripted. Mix it up. But if you can do the thing like Prince's "Let's Go Crazy", you've got it nailed.

Steve

16. TeeVee

TeeVee Member

Our bass player used to (original band) on about every song.

I thought it was pointless, as most of the crowd hadn't heard our stuff before.

He also tended to ramble on about the meaning, influence etc, which just ruined the pacing of the set.

One of just many reasons why he is the "ex" bass player.

Another pet hate of mine is introducing ourselves at the start of a set/gig (which he did all the time) - "hi, we're so and so, thanks for coming, hope you enjoy our songs". Just comes of as amateur if you ask me.

Let the freakin music speak for itself, and just launch into a song I say. Thanks to the audience and whatnot can come after.

17. mudster

mudster High Prairie Wrangler Silver Supporting Member

Sometimes you just need to kill a little time while someone tunes or the drummer tweaks something. Otherwise I figure no one wants to hear me talk.

18. s2y

s2y Member

Y'all should listen to AC/DC's live album from the 90's. Brian Johnson says something between each song. Hell if anyone knows what he's actually saying.

19. DarrenTD

DarrenTD Member

The only thing better than announcing songs when you play them is when you make sure to add a disclaimer to let the audience know that you're not tight with it yet. That way they know to listen real hard to see if you screw it up...........:sarcasm

20. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Member

its nice to fill some dead space if you've gotta change something (tune, swap guitars, etc) say something that alludes to the song....

i.e. "here's something Led Zeppelin stole from some other guy..." if it's going well, "you like that, huh... lets go WAY back now (start something from The Kinks in 64-65)"