Annoying popping noise and static from my guitar.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Antiquo Cantor, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Antiquo Cantor

Antiquo Cantor Member

I recently changed out all the pots and caps in my Firebird and I'm getting this crackling static and popping noises. Mainly on clean setting on my amp, can't hear it over distortion. Now I'll admit I'm a complete amateur and noob when it comes to soldering pickups, etc. I only do it myself to save money and I have successfully wired many of my guitars without issues, but obviously something went wrong here. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I might troubleshoot this myself before I take it to a pro? Maybe better shielding, like using heat shrink tubes on caps? Thanks.

2. miles.bobby

miles.bobby Member

I've had similar problems on a stock PRS as well as my stock classic vibe tele. I've had success by ensuring that the plastic pick guard is making electrical contact with the shield/ground circuit. I've used foil, metallic tape or wire to hack it. Seems to prevent a charge from building up on the guard. My guess is that a static charge builds up on something like the pick guard and the popping sound is from when your hand makes conduct with the strings and pick guard (since strings are usually connected to the shield/ground of the guitar).

3. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Yeah, had the problem with pickguards. putting a sheet of fabric softener under might help, but I've found lining the cavity and as mentioned, making sure the lining contacts the pickguard helps.

4. Antiquo Cantor

Antiquo Cantor Member

Ok thanks. I'll try the fabric softener trick first, then shield it more if needed. Firebirds do have big pickguards under which the wiring from the pickups and the switch travels to the control cavity.

5. ModdersAnon

ModdersAnon Member

Yep. Mine does the same thing. Haven't tried shielding or even the dryer sheet method.

To be sure that is the problem, with the guitar plugged in and amp on, rub your finger quickly back and forth across the pickguard or control cavity plate. you should hear many pops of static while doing this.