Annoying power supply purchase

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by VinceM, Mar 18, 2015.

1. VinceM

VinceM Silver Supporting Member

I just picked up one of these variable 3-12 Vdc power supplies:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00068U44I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wanted to use it with my Bearfoot Model G, which can take 5-15 V, so I could check out the effect of the different on its headroom.

Sadly, when I use it, upon powering the pedal, I get an obnoxious whine. And the pitch of the noise changes for each voltage setting!

What's going on here? Is it creating noise because it's a "switching" power supply? I took a look in the reviews and other people have mentioned this.

I'm just looking for a simple power supply to check out the effect of variable voltage - I don't want to buy a mega-supply right now. What kind of supplies should I be looking for?

Vince

2. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

That power supply is not meant for audio applications. I have that exact one and it works great for my label maker.

Try a godlyke power all or voodoo labs one spot. Better yet is a voodoo labs or cioks power supply with isolated outputs. The cioks and voodoo labs should have 12v outputs.

3. VinceM

I am currently using a Godlyke which has worked great for me for years. But it is only 9v. Is there a way to get more than 9v out of it?

And yes I have my eye on a cioks (the ac-10 would be perfect) but I can't shell out $200 right now.

4. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

There is a Godlyke accesory that gives you 12/18/24 volts from a Godlyke or Visual Sound power supply. I use one to power my DMM

5. onwingsoflead

onwingsoflead Member

Danelectro makes a variable voltage power supply for this purpose.

6. VinceM

Hey thanks bbrunskill! I didn't know about that Godlyke product. That's exactly what I need.

The only thing about the danelectro is that is variable but only goes lower than 9V to simulate a dying battery, which is cool but not what I'm looking to do.