ANOS another name for trust me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rambergwest, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Rambergwest

Rambergwest Member

I see more ANOS tubes showing up at credible dealers how do you guys approach this market and what steps do you take to make sure you are getting something worth while?
    Some dealers that sell NOS only will not even sell them in white boxes so where do you draw the line and why?

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Why would you be suspicious of ANOS tubes when someone could claim that they're NOS and charge twice as much?

3. mbargav

mbargav Member

I bought a bunch of ANOS RCA 12AX7s (sold as ANOS and packaged in white boxes) from KCA NOS a few months back. I honestly can't tell the difference between them and NOS RCAs I have.

4. falconer

falconer Member

Same here. I've purchased both from Mike with no troubles or failures at all.

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    They've worked out well for 100s of customers. The problem rate is probably below the combined rate of new production (which is highest) and NOS which is about 5 tubes per 1000.

6. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

I aproach them as they are. ANOS is a polite marketing term for used, but test above a pre set range. Regardless of what any seller wants you to believe. If the price is good, then excellent. If the price is high compared to untested pulls, then see if the added price is worth what you think testing should be worth.

Something is either New or it isn't.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  7. MCK

MCK Member

Depends on who you're buying from really. Buy so called NOS from unknown sellers on fBay and more than likely you will get used stuff that may not even test well. Total crap in the dark and hope to hit the hole affair... Stinks either way... On the other hand buy ANOS from reputable dealers and you can rest assured that you are getting what you are paying for. A used tube that tests near new values...

ANOS is good as long as you know and trust the seller.

8. cap47

cap47 Member

I have been lucky. Even with sellers I didn't know. I think I have had only one tube not work right.

9. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

As long as the tubes are tested carefully, and I'm at peace with the price, then it is all the same as "NOS" to me. Used tubes can sound just as good as unused. In fact, I would prefer a tested "ANOS" tube to an untested "NOS/NIB" tube any day. Make your own choice. But don't wait too long - there isn't much stock to draw from any more.

- Thom

10. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

I only buy tested ANOS from guys that give the actual strength rating. The guys who sell "tests good" are more likely to be pedlling a marginal tube.

11. jp1977

jp1977 Member

I guess it depends on the seller really. I purchased a "nos" set of el84 that obviously had been used and went after just 5 hours of use. If I am gonna pay for used tubes the price better reflect the fact that they are still USED tubes no madder what catchy name or abbreviation you stick in front of it.

12. Onioner

Onioner Member

I'm thrilled when someone advertises a tube as ANOS. Seems an indication of honesty. Most folks just say "NOS" and call it a day, and if it is "almost," then you probably couldn't tell the difference, and they could charge for new if they wanted to. Course, if it's just more OOS (old old stock), then it's the same old B.S..

Plus, getting sometimes greatly discounted tubes can be great for rolling and finding what works. 90% of the tubes I have will never seen death from use. They all might as well be used old stock. When I find a keeper, that's when I'll consider NOS, but honestly, even then, a ANOS can be much better bang for your buck, if it really is "A"...

13. bluesmann8

bluesmann8 Senior Member

trust comes with a track record a mile long and lots of stock to sell.

14. tejastubes

tejastubes Member

Its all about testing, screening, and the quality of the equipment being used to screen test and determine if the tubes are good or not. A "calibrated" Tv-7 used as the only piece of test equipment is questionable in my book and really does not provide data that I trust. On the other hand, using an Amplitrex AT-1000, a computerized Hickok 118B, a Vacuum Tube valley tube characterizer, and a Maxi-matcher usually will provide reliable consistent tests that end up in something "worth while".

I have had many TGP members ask me, "do your NOS tubes come in original boxes? Yes and no. Some NOS tubes were not sold in original boxes to the customer who bought them, but there is a difference between an ANOS tube put in a white box, and an originally bulk packed NOS tube put in a white box. To say that tubes are only NOS if they come in original boxes is inaccurate.

15. wolfpack

wolfpack Supporting Member

When Mike at KCA tells me a ANOS tube tests as new, I believe him & have no worries.

16. MCK

MCK Member

+ 1

17. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

testing is good. unless you find a stack of unused old tubes somewhere and it's worth the gamble, testing is the only way to know that an old tube is still worth using.

18. Rambergwest

Rambergwest Member

Very interesting posts folks, thanks for the feedback. I fall into the category that love ANOS at the right price and this has been a very good option percentages wise for me. As stock of true NOS disappear I appreciate the effort to test and offer these little pieces of history and using guys like Mike has probably been the secret to my satisfaction.

19. clumpster

clumpster Supporting Member

Ask the seller to provide testing results....transconductance and current draw at working voltage. Ask what kind of testing equip he used to give you those results.
    If he can't or won't.....move on to someone who can and will. Simple as that!

CW

20. MCK

MCK Member

+1. I have an Amplitrex AT1000 at home. I recently told a tube vendor I had not bought from before this and asked them to let me know how they test and match. They told me this is their company secret as it gives them their competitive edge and they refused to share their test protocol with me. They said they do not wish to 'train' their future competitors... Perhaps they were sincere and meant what they said but I simply chose to move on and bought from KCA.