Another 2x12 thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ahcleinad, Feb 18, 2012.

1. ahcleinad

ahcleinad Member

I know that there are probably millions of these threads on TGP, but wanted some opinions on my situation.

I currently am running a Rockytop JTM45 into a Bogner OS212 closed back. However, the cab is kind of big and very inconvenient to carry around, but love the sound through it.

So my question is are there other cabs out there that compare with the Bogner that are smaller? I run a stereo setup with an AC30 kind of taking care of the highs and play the JTM45 very bottom heavy. Some cabs I've been looking at were ZBest, THD, and JDesign cabs. Any others out there?

2. Matt Gnarly

Matt Gnarly Member

Maybe consider a ported 1x12 like the Mesa Thiele if you want something considerably smaller than the Bogner. Also, Whitebox just released their classic 212 line, they look like they're quite a bit lighter than an oversized cab.

3. ahcleinad

ahcleinad Member

I've never heard of Whitebox, but they look interesting and the price isn't bad also. Have you had experience with their cabs?

4. Matt Gnarly

Matt Gnarly Member

I've been wanting to buy one since they were first released but haven't had the cash, I was going to buy one just recently for my Mesa but ended up with a Mesa cab in trade so I'll be waiting for a bit. But everything I've heard about them has been top notch, I've talked with the owner Doug (also one of the Jet City guys) and he's great to deal with. The Whitebox cabs are quite popular on Harmony Central with rave reviews, the hardest part is picking the right speakers as they can get just about any Eminence or WGS that you want.

5. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

I'm in a similar situation to you in that I have a Mojave Plexi45 (JTM45 clone) which I play through an OS 2x12 which I love....but it can be difficult to transport.

As well as a smaller 2x12 have you thought of going 2x10? The only prob is that 10" speakers don't have the same bass as 12" speakers but the 10" speakers might keep the bass a bit tighter as it can be a bit flubby in these amps. And a smallish 2x10 shouldn't be too heavy.

The other option is a slightly OS 1x12. I'm looking into that currently and Mojave have actually started making a slightly OS 1x12 open back cab for their amps.