Another 4x10 Question???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PUCKBOY99, Jun 1, 2005.

1. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

So, I'm about to delve into the world of the 4x10 & had a few questions...........

Is anyone mixing ceramic & AlNiCos...namely, the Reverend Alltones & Celestion G10s???

Also, I understand the Weber Blue Pup & AlNiCo Silver 10 is a nice combo...what are the tonal differences in using an "X" pattern as opposed to say, Blues on the bottom/Silvers on top or vice versa???

Anyone using a Marshall 1965A/B cab??? I've got a 1966A (2x12) & it's a rocking little cab....I'm guessing the 4x10 would be too.

Anyway, I've got a Mesa Boogie Blue Angel 4x10 (Jensen AlNiCos) & it's pretty friggin' smooth....I just bought a Blue Angel head & wanted a 4x10 cab to throw into the mix.........

Thanks for the info fellas!:dude

2. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I have a 1965A that I use with my 2061X (Lead & Bass 20 reissue). This amp sounded really good through a 1x12 & a 2x12, but it really came to life for me with the 4x10. I like the punchy quality of 10s and with 4 of them, there's quite a bit of air moving - all without the characteristic woofiness of 12s.

I'd love to have a matching 2x12 (1966, eh?) for my other amp (Koch Twintone), which is quite obviously voiced for 12s and doesn't sound 'right' through the 4x10.

--chiba

3. ned911

ned911 Member

I've got a Mesa 4x10 on order that should be here any day. It will be loaded with Jensen's and Eminence. I'll post the specific model numbers once it arrives.

4. GuitarG

GuitarG Member

In my Mesa Boogie Blue Angel 4x10 I'm using Jensen AlNiCos in the top and 2 Weber C10N's in the bottom. The Webers have a great tight low end and project a bit more than the AlNiCos. It is a nice combination, but the added weight of the Webers has made the amp a bear to haul around.

5. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

I picked up a Fargen Mini-plex head based on how great it sounded through my 4x12. Took it to a buddy's place for a jam session and ran it through his Marshall 4x10. GREAT sounding combination, very tough and punchy like others have said. I've always used 12s but the 10s sounded fantastic to me.

6. pitbull45

pitbull45 Member

1+ I've been using a Marshall 4x10 with my VHT Pitbull 45 head. Great tone and it moves a lot of air. Low end response is tighter and quicker than 12s

The best part is it's like half the weight of a 4x12

7. HHB

HHB Member

Bogner 410 w/ blk frames here, love it! This has been my fav cab ever, I can't believe the thump/weight ratio!

8. PUCKBOY99

COOL...Thanks fellas!!!

I dig the 1966A...made some open back panels & use it along with a closed back 2x12 & a Matchless Clubman 35...very nice!

The Mesa Blue Angel 4x10 is a heavy mutha with just the Jensens....can't imagine it heavier, although the tone outweighs it all. GREAT AMP, isn't it???

I'm trying to work a deal with a guy for his Marshall 1965A w/the original Celestions & some Alltones he has hanging around...should be nice to experiment with the new Blue Angel head.

If the head is as good as the 4x10 combo, I'll be posting the combo for sale, if anyone will be interested!!!:rolleyes:

9. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

I've never heard the Alltone 10s, but I have a pair of 12s in my Peavey Classic 50 combo. Those are some smooth speakers for sure. Not good if you want that Vox vibe, but they work for me.

10. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

- The Marshall 1965 4x10 is voiced for crunchy rock ... like Marshall amps! It's got a closed back for tightness on the bottom end, and a crispy top end, and scoop in the mids. It gets you heard, and it's portable. Bit of the laser-beam thing going on.

The Mesa 4x10 cab with the Jensen alnico P-10-R reissues is a different beast. Open back for more air, and a lot more natural and detailed than the Marshall 4x10, with less rock punch. I liked this foursome so much in my Mesa Rocket 440, that i went and got the Mesa 4x10 cab!

Depends on what you want... air or punch, detail or rawk. In either case, 4x10s are a secret weapon... portable and they get you heard.

Kiwi

11. PUCKBOY99

If I get the 4x10, I'm gonna make a 3-piece back panel for it...remove the center for open back/keep it in for closed back.;)

12. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

Dr. Z 4X10 rocks...................

13. ned911

ned911 Member

Here is my Lone Star Special with my Marshall 1965A, the Boogie cab will be in next week. Can't wait to compare the two cabs. Marshall is in need of a retolex and new grill cloth.

[​IMG]

Ned