Another attempt at VH1 tone-OD100 clips

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by samhill, Apr 14, 2008.

1. samhill

samhill Member

Ok thanks for putting up with me. Here's yet another attempt at me trying to get the FX settings similar to VH1. I don't think I have the tone per se and certainly not the playing ability. Here's a little clip of Eruption and intro to You Really Got Me and Ain't Talkin Bout Love. OD100se+, PRS SC no whammy bar..sorry, Duncan Blackouts in the bridge position, EVH Phase 90, EVH Flanger, TC G-Force for delays and verb Palmer PDI09 into a Presonus Digimax using Garageband and iMovie08. The audio is taken from a video I made, I'll post that as soon as YouTube finishes rendering. Just finished...so audio and video below.

http://www.thesamhillband.com/eruption_mad.mp3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2mkVozTQBA

Mark Day
    www.thesamhillband.com

2. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

It would pass in a smokey bar!!!:stir Actually it's really close and I like it!!!:AOK

3. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

That's also a pretty good indication of how well the pdi-09 works. I'd like to hear more.. possibly a tad lower gain. Are you up for it? The tone sounds good to these ears though.. maybe try a little less bass as the speaker emulators I find add quite a bit. But I dug it.

4. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

Its close, but your playing is dead on.I love it. A hair too much gain though. Im amazed the CAE can cop that sound.I had one and could not get that close. They are great amps though.More clips please.
    :dude

5. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

Also if you don't mind me asking, what type of speakers/speaker cab are you running in your other clip? Sounds wayyyy better when not direct via the palmer.

6. samhill

samhill Member

If you are referring to the other YouTube clips I have up, I am using a little Randall 2x12" with cheap Celestion 70/80's. I either record with a cheap HP digital cam or use the built in mic and webcam on my MacBook Pro.

You should hear this rig with my two 4x12's Mesa Recto cabs at stage volume, every gig is like winning a lottery...lol.

Mark

7. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

They must be well broken in.. sounded awesome to my ears. Are you in Cornwall? Its the only location between Ottawa and Montreal I can think of!

8. samhill

samhill Member

Glen Walter, ON about 2 seconds east of Cornwall on the river. You must be close to know that? lol.

Mark

9. flyangus

flyangus Member

Sounds really great, esp for a DI:dude

Don't go giving me OD100 gas now!:bkw:D

10. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Its always the guys that claim they can't pull of EVH that do it well.....:dude

11. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

Yep in Ottawa here.. home of the losing depleted Sens who are rolling with third line players. But we still love em! :dude

Its interesting to hear the diff the cab sim makes. I still don't buy it from people who say it is a replacement for a mic and cab. Sounds good though.. but you can def tell. Anyway that is a diff conversation all together.

12. samhill

samhill Member

Cool! We did a parody of Don't Stop Believin last year for the Sports station during the playoffs (Stuntman Stu show). Our drummer sounds just like Steve Perry..lol.

Hey we are at Philthy McNasty's in Kanata on April 26(Sat) and then at O'Connor's the weekend after....if you get a chance.

Here's the clip we did:
    http://www.thesamhillband.com/audio_video/dontstop.mp3

Mark

13. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

Cool, i might be around for that second date.. I'll watch for the guy with a van full of guitar gear. :AOK

14. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

That sounded *AWESOME* !!! wow .... smokin playing too ....

Your clips have been me major GAS for an SE+

15. samhill

samhill Member

You mean the white SUV and big black trailer that's way too heavy for the truck..lol

Mark

16. samhill

samhill Member

Thanks Mike!!!!

17. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

Well, you won't have to worry about Ottawa still being in the playoffs then! 4-1.... brother..:-/

18. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

Love it!!! Great playing and yes great amp. I love mine.

19. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Great job coppin all that - the licks, the vibe, the tone. Just more evidence for my belief that getting a particular sound is more about learning how to play, having gear that gets you in the ballpark--and being able to set the gear up properly--than it is about having precisely the same equipment.

20. samhill

samhill Member

Thanks guys!!!

Mark