• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Another Bass Player Crisis?!?

2HBStrat

Our new bass player (new since early this year) in the cover band texted us that he had taken a new job that involved travel and that he would be unable to rehearse during the week, but that he would be home "most weekends" but unavailable to play on most Friday nights.

Tonight is our normal practice night, and I haven't heard from anyone in the band. I know that they enjoy the mid-week rehearsal, even just to get together and drink and smoke (cigarettes....they smoke....I don't) and I don't think a weekend (like Sunday) rehearsal would be the same. So, I don't know if we are getting together tonight to discuss our options, or not......I don't know if the other two guys in the band are talking (texting)......I suspect they are, but I don't know......Things are kind of up in the air.....

Thoughts?

ripgtr

y'all need to communicate, for one. Everyone today, even me, has a cell phone. And email.

You need a new bass player. If the guy can't do it, he can't do it.
Weekend rehearsals are probably not going to work, this sounds more like "boys night out" than a focused rehearsal and people who work day jobs are usually going to be doing family things on Sunday. "honey, I can't do family movie night, cause I am going drinking with the boys" isn't going to get to far, lol

rsm

Solutions abound if you can program MIDI ;)

IMO. One of the reasons I got my Roland AIRA rig: not finding bass and drums into similar music or creating a new trio; now I can do it all myself (almost). I have the first pic, Roland TB-3 - much better than the old school TB-03 for me.

Yer Blues

Call, text, or e-mail band members to see if practice is still on for tonight without bass player. You can use a phone or computer to do these things.

Call, text, e-mail, or discuss in person if band is happy with bass player only being available on Saturday nights. You can use a phone or computer to discuss and a vehicle, such as a car, truck or motorcycle, to travel and meet up in person.

You might be surprised at the amount of people who only want to gig once or twice a month because they want to play golf, fish, collect stamps, or just be lazy.

I hope this was both helpful and informative.

dansworld

Gold Supporting Member
I've said this on so many other posts....once I took up the bass and became proficient on it I could literally get a gig any time I wanted.

2HBStrat

I've said this on so many other posts....once I took up the bass and became proficient on it I could literally get a gig any time I wanted.
It's always been that way....

..... this sounds more like "boys night out" than a focused rehearsal and people who work day jobs are usually going to be doing family things on Sunday. "honey, I can't do family movie night, cause I am going drinking with the boys" isn't going to get to far, lol
Yes and no. It IS a boy's night out in the sense that we drink beer (and they smoke) and have fun, BUT.....we get stuff done, too. I actually think that all of us would still do it even if we didn't have any gigs, but.....you need a bass player....

Call, text, or e-mail band members to see if practice is still on for tonight without bass player.......I hope this was both helpful and informative.
It is.....thanks.

I may text out "Practice?" later today.......I usually do that every Wednesday anyway so I can plan my evening so it wouldn't be out of character........but if I do I will include the bass player, like always, and just see what happens......I don't know if he's started his new job yet or not.....

Neopolitian

Why does even matter if you practice if no one cares about your band and your band doesn't matter? (serious question)

Ubersooner

Are you seriously asking what we think is going to happen at rehearsal tonight? Because like, all of your questions are going to be answered in like 8 hours right? I think your cover of 24k Magic is going to be weak sauce without a bass, since you say don't have horns or keys in your band.

ripgtr

I just got an email from the pedal steel player on rehearsal for next Tuesday. We have 4 of what we want to be a 5 piece.
This is a week in advance. Ya gots to keep the lines open. Nothing would tick me off more than showing up and no one is there "Oh, we cancelled, didn't we tell you?" Ah, no and @#$$%, lol

2HBStrat

Are you seriously asking what we think is going to happen at rehearsal tonight? Because like, all of your questions are going to be answered in like 8 hours right? I think your cover of 24k Magic is going to be weak sauce without a bass, since you say don't have horns or keys in your band.
Well, I don't know if there will even BE a rehearsal tonight, but I will text them a little later in the day.....and as for 24K Magic, I agree.....the bass part is the most dominate musical part of the song.......

Why does even matter if you practice if no one cares about your band and your band doesn't matter? (serious question)
I'm not sure what you mean.....we all care about the band, and we have gigs booked for next year......

Trending Topics

Top Bottom