Another Blues Jr. Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GearOnTheBrain, Sep 16, 2008.

1. I was at my local G.C. tonight and played one of these with a cheap ass Squire Strat(i had no choice, im a lefty and they didnt have any good lefty strats).
    Anyway, the guitar had brand new strings on it, so that helped somewhat, but wow, what a nice amp.
    I've read many of the threads about them, and really am a believer.
    I was getting some real smooth John Mayer type tones.....i kid you not. I can only imagine what it would sound like with my Menatone Red Snapper.
    I remember when i subscribed to ToneQuest and they did an article on how great the amp is as well.
    As for speakers...
    Has anyone tried a Celestion Gold in it?
    I'd be curious about that...........for a more voxy sound.
    Anyway.
    I had a blast playing it.
    May have to get one eventually.

2. mc2

mc2 Member

I see them on craigslist for around 250 used. Throw a G12H30 in there and you're on your way to a great little amp for cruising around. It's hard to be super critical for that price. Even one with the BillM mods goes pretty cheaply and they sound even better-a bit more open. From what I've tried, it takes OD pedals well (TS-style), and I'm sure the RS would be great with it.

I wish the reverb was a little better. I just keep it at about 2-3 for some ambiance, but I'll make no illusions about getting surf-styled reverb from it.

3. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

4. jmp

jmp Supporting Member

I'm a recent convert, as well. I was looking for something smaller than my Marshall 1974X for home and was really suprised at how nice the little Blues Jr. sounded. Like a lot of people, I get caught up in all the boutique stuff and forget that sometimes the name-brand mass produced stuff can be pretty decent. I'm having a hard time deciding if my next amp will be a Blues Jr. or a PRRI. For $250 used it's hard to say no to the Bjr.

There's a guy on YouTube who nails some pretty convicning SRV tones with one of the tweed Blues Jrs. and a few pedals.

5. Frankie, thanks for the heads up.
    Unfortunately, im not ready to buy one yet.
    Anyone ever play one with a Celestion Gold installed?

6. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I don't think there's much need to go too crazy on mods. I put a weber blue dog in mine with some decent tubes and it sounds great.

7. The Blue Dog is similiar to/Based on a Celestion Blue, right?

8. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

There's always a reason to mod your amps! :D