Another Bob Sweet's Mojovibe plug...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jzucker, Jan 10, 2006.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I wanted to put in another plug for Bob Sweet and his Mojovibe. Bob sent me a mojovibe while he was still recovering from hurricane Katrina.

I sent it in to Bob recently for a tuneup and to see if I could get a bit more headroom out of it. I got it back yesterday and it's just blowing me away. Sounds fabulous as a chorus pedal (in vibrato mode ironically) and of course the univibe sound (chorus mode) is awesome. One thing that makes this pedal stand out from other boutique clones I've owned is the clarity and ability to turn the intensity down and get the swirly fatness without it getting muddy and obscuring the guitar's basic sound. This is a *HUGE* plus for Bob's pedal over the other stuff on the market.

I found that in vibrato mode with the intensity on about 10 O'Clock and the speed about the same setting, I get the sweetest fat tone with just the slightest swirl that reminds me a little of Jimi's Little Wing from Hendrix in the West.

I'm just loving this thing.

Thanks Bob!

2. drolling

drolling Member

It feels like I will NEVER stop buying overdrives but my old UltraVibe's been on the board for ages. I even got rid of my other vibes, and I rarely flip my gear.

There's been a number of interesting, and probably very good sounding univibe clones, released in the intervening years, but the Sweetsound vibe cannot be improved upon, as far as I'm concerned.

Unfortunately, I've recently deleloped a taste for analog delay, and it comes in a wide variety of flavours - all expensive..

3. jzucker

I think I'm set for OD's. I'm using the Rc and Ac booster, the Zendrive and a keeley modded Ts9 pedal. I'd like to get Vaughn Cost to put his touch on the Ts9 and get a better (true bypass) switch put in it sometime but other than that, I'm done for OD pedals.

I actually love the Digitech digidelay. I wouldn't mind getting true bypass and having it made bullet proof but I have not heard any pedal that I like as much. The tape mode on it sounds great as far as I'm concerned.

I'm also using a DLS chorus/Vib and a Picture wah, both of which I'm pretty set on. Best in the business as far as I'm concerned.

4. drolling

drolling Member

I've got an RC & a Zen- great pedals. A new approach to overdrive, especially the Xotic stuff. I've seen Vaugn's mods- it's just insane how many knobs & switches he can cram on a TS. Really intruiging looking.

+1 on the DigiDelay, that's the one that goes into the gigbag on jam nights at local dive. But for a really massive sound, I'm using a Deluxe MemoryMan & a MemoryLane in stereo, while patiently waiting for an Echoczar.

5. jzucker

I don't think I'd opt for all the switches. The keeley mod sounds really great IMO. Much better than what I was using before. I'd like to have Vaughn go over it and then put the DPDT switch in since the stock switches in the TS9 always go bad.
    It's funny to say but I don't think I want my sound any bigger now. With the various pedals, my SRV guitar, my Allen or Pritchard amp, THD cab with Emi Legend speakers, I'm getting a huge sound. Any bigger and it'd rip my speakers apart.

I'd like to check out the memoryman/memorylane pedals. Any more info on those? I assume those are EH pedals? Any better quality than the holy grail reverb? Those seemed to fall apart pretty quickly.

Who makes the echoczar?

I had read rave reviews about the line6 delay pedal but was extremely disappointed with it.

6. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Toneczar makes the echoczar.

7. drolling

drolling Member

Yes, ElectroHarmonix does have quality control issues- that's the ONLY thing stopping me from getting a POG (love playing organ licks on my tele). I've had the MemoryMan RI since it was first released a few years back, and apparently, I've got a *good* one- no problems yet.. The design has evolved somewhat since I got mine. The original bucket-brigade chip became unavailable so they went to 2 chips in order to keep the delay time at 550ms. But the good news is that they're now true-bypass- absolutely impossible to determine unity gain w/the old design, and it really really messes w/your guitar's tone, too. They are now wall-wart powered instead of the internal transformer and heavy AC cord on the old ones. Very cool sounding delay w/ultra-sick modulation.

The MemoryLane's by a new Canadian company called Diamond. Similar in layout & function, but much cleaner sounding, more 'musical' modulation, way better build quality. An expression pedal to send the delays into oscillation was the 'must-have' feature for me. They also make an "opto" style compressor that's among the best I've heard. It stays on ALL the time.

8. jzucker

That memory lane looks pretty cool but pricey. I'll check out the clips. I wouldn't mind having better build quality than the digitech. I've had a couple of their pedals crap out on me though digitech did fix them under warranty.

I wish Bob Sweet would branch out into some other pedals.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

wow, jack

you're really gettin' down w/ the hendrix/SRV stuff. :AOK

can only imagine what that'll sound like w/ your sheets o' sound stuff
    ... :eek:

and can you teach me? ;)

10. jzucker

Haha - The hendrix stuff is just in my blood. I was born on his birthday!

I've always loved his music but only learned it at the surface level. Not that I'll ever really be able to play his or Stevie's music in depth but frankly I'm tired of the same-ole-archtop jazz stuff. I want to play power-jazz with elements of the soul of SRV and Jimi and not just polite, back-o-the-restaurant jazz. :rolleyes:

There's a local guitarist (Greg Sarley) who really has the whole jimi/srv thing down pretty well. We used to get together every once in a while and I'd show him some jazz licks and he'd show me some blues stuff. We're supposed to get together in the next couple weeks. I wouldn't mind doing some creative stuff with him and recording it but I'm not sure if we'll get around to it.

In the meantime, the Sheets of Sound stuff is still there but waiting patiently for an excuse to come out...As is SOS II...:JAM

11. drolling

drolling Member

For once I was at an advantage living in up here. Not only did I get the pedal for $409 Canadian, but I didn't have to get on a waiting list and I actually got to TRY IT before buying, which has become a very rare occurence these days.

One important feature of the ML I forgot to mention is the amount of clean headroom. Overloading has always been a problem w/the MemoryMan, but the Diamond can take a pretty hot signal before it starts to clip.

I have DigiTech pedals from the 80s that are still going strong. For sure the build quality's not what it was, but they're also much cheaper, comparatively. My 8 second delay pedal cost around $400. That was real money back in '85!

I also hope that Bob will continue to slowly branch out. I'm not really interested in the Mo'Fo, but I'd like to try his boost pedal. I did ask him once about doing an analog delay, and he was pretty noncommital - it's getting harder & harder to find the components.

12. jzucker

Bob seems pretty busy too and I'm sure the hurricane left him with a ton of home work to do...

Re: Echo pedals, I guess I have a hard time justifying paying $400 or more for an echo. It's like with the wah pedal. I have a Teese wah but I don't use wah a huge amount so anything more than what I paid for the Teese I just couldn't justify. I love the sound of a good echo but most of the time I don't want the echo on. Just for a little spice in a solo now and then. For that I can't justify paying $1000 for a tape delay or even $500 for a delay pedal.

I have my digitech at the end of my effect chain and don't seem to have any problem with headroom even with the RC Booster, an OD pedal going.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

good stuff, jack!

given your background, i can only imagine the killer stuff that'd come outta your speakers. hopefully, pre-rola greenbacks. ;)

14. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

I'm wondering why this wouldn't be a good candidate for modding by AM or Keeley for example. A lot of people like this pedal but it does have short comings.

+1 on the Mojo.

I think its design reflects how much the maker knows his stuff. I hope I never lose it though, cause it would cost about $500Aus to replace. :eek:

15. jzucker

I'm thinking the same thing...
    I was a little worried because I have owned the ultravibe and wondered if the smaller one would have the right tone. I shouldn't have worried. It does!

16. Bob Sweet

Bob Sweet Member

You guy's are WAY too kind!!! But thanks, I really do appreciate it.

I'm glad it's working out for you Jack, you had me a little worried there. If that problem creeps in again let me know.

Actually I am working on a few projects when I get the chances to.
    Already in the works is a Digital Delay, A half rack Vibe with ALL the features brought out front. And a couple others that I haven't decided to finish or not.

I've been trying to stay off the forums a little lately to try and catch up, and I've been doing a lot of driving between Ft Lauderdale and Orlando, and I finally got engaged after 20 years with the same gal. So I've been too busy lately.

El Jimbo...We have to do something about those Aussie prices :NUTS

17. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

It's a combination of our weaker currency, shipping and the taxes those bastards would lump on me if they got half the chance. No one's getting my Mojo though...it's attached to a pittbull.

Finally getting hitched eh? Thought you'd wait till the kids left home first?:D
    Hell, you're starting to remind me of Chris Kinman...he recently got married, except he decided to wait until after his quadruple bypass...very wise.