Another boost thread

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bluesymetal, May 5, 2020.

1. bluesymetal

bluesymetal Member

I’m sure this has been asked to death, but I’m looking for new OD to hit the drive channel of my Budda SuperDrive 30 for leads. I already have a cheap tubescreamer, looking for a different character. Something smoother with less high end sizzle then the TS. Thinking about a Soul Food, Full Boost or OCD. Any other suggestions? Trying to stay under $100 used.

2. vatore3rd

vatore3rd Gold Supporting Member

I suggest the Koko Boost Reloaded from Suhr. Just outstanding as a lead boost. You get a flexible mid boost and a clean boost for good measure. You can usually find them for ~$100 used.

bluesymetal likes this.
  3. bluesymetal

bluesymetal Member

Haven’t thought of that one yet, thanks!

4. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

I'll suggest a treble booster. I have a Budda SD18 and my Naga Viper is KILLER into it. In spite of the name treble booster you are not going to get more sizzle.

bluesymetal likes this.
  5. aynirar27

aynirar27 Notable Member Gold Supporting Member

Eqd speaker cranker

bluesymetal likes this.
  6. FOTM704

FOTM704 Member

Komet Mirasol, hands down

bluesymetal likes this.
  7. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

TC Spark is not sexy, but the tones are. I found a used one for $85, most versatile booster I have ever used. Does bright, middy, dark, Clean, dirty, whatever you want.

bluesymetal likes this.
  8. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I've been down th boost rabbit hole and been through too many to remember but I'm shocked at how good the humble MXR Micro Boost is. Very fat and full sounding. I just finished repairing one and I was expecting much less than what came out of the amp when I was done.

9. bluesymetal

bluesymetal Member

There’s so many options now I forgot this even existed lol! Always meant to try one.

How about an EP booster or echoplex boost?

10. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I had an EP for a long time. It wasn't bad by any stretch but I didn't think it was really anything magical or earth shattering the way some people talk(ed) about it. Haven't tried the echoplex boost. The ones I kept out of all of them were:
    Field Effects Graviton Boost - gives your amp that clean tone and presence I've only really got from a good ac30, just something a little cranked yet clean.
    BJFe Red Rooster Booster - gave up on clean boosts after playing this. So fat, full and flavorful. Like running your signal through a throbbing, juicy strawberry.
    Lumpy's Tone Shop SLPre - the only treble booster I've ever liked. All others just sound piercing and uneven after this one.
    ZVex Super Hard On - Hard, clean and sparkly! A Classic for a good reason.

There was a point where I was buying random homemade boosters off of ebay, looking for something cool and flavorful. Lots of neat ones but mostly based on Jack Orman's booster circuit, a classic DIY and the basis for the Bad Bob that Analogman sells. Also a very strong candidate for an awesome boost and one that I have shamefully not owned yet. Thinking back on it, I think Jack's booster was the first pedal I ever built and it was pretty cool but very gnarly boost. Ever since, I've wanted to try Analogman's build of it too.

bluesymetal likes this.
  11. bluesymetal

bluesymetal Member

Damn I might have to buy a couple and ab them.

12. stargazer747

stargazer747 Member

If you're asking used for under $100 then the following can be found on reverb.com:

MXR Micro Amp
    MXR GT-OD
    Way Huge Saucy Box
    Way Huge Angry Troll

bluesymetal likes this.
  13. J5jarod777

J5jarod777 Member

BOSS BD-2 or a FD2 in comp-cut mode would get the job done

14. bluesymetal

bluesymetal Member

The comp cut takes off some high end?
    I think I just want to keep the general tone and feel of the amp, it’s very easy to play without any boost as is, but thicken it slightly and trim the highest frequency. I have the treble pretty high for my rhythm tone.

15. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

MXR Sugar Drive. Available under 100 used. In the Centaur/KTR realm but eq'd more toward upper mids than low mids and probably flatter eq overall. Want a little more fat on the bottom? NUX Horseman is another Centaur derivative. But fatter to my ear. Also has a usable drive boost function for more gain and slightly more level. Both have a treble knob that lets you brighten or darken as needed. Well under $100. I use both. A lot of gigs on the Horseman. Just reconfigured my board to make a spot for the Sugar Drive. I was using it in front to pump up single coils but I found a better way.

Both these pedals are charge pump pedals and can be sensitive to daisy chained power. Depending on what else you are powering on the chain.

bluesymetal likes this.
  16. bluesymetal

bluesymetal Member

That Nux pedal looks really cool, I was leaning towards a klon type of OD as I’ve never had one. I like that it’s a mini pedal too. I use a voodoo labs pedal power so I should be good noise wise.

17. bigben55

bigben55 Member

Not talking about overdrives(OCD, Sugar Drive, others mentioned), my favorite pure boost is still the Fulltone Fat Boost 3. I've had a ton of boost pedals(10-20+) but keep coming back to that one.

bluesymetal likes this.
  18. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

tc electronic Mojo Mojo OD/boost.

bluesymetal likes this.
  19. PatrickE_FenderADV

PatrickE_FenderADV Supporting Member

Boss BD2 works excellent as a boost when you dial down the gain and raise the volume. Just spend a little extra time finding the sweet spot on the tone knob with our guitar and amp, star aroun 11 o'clock or so.

bluesymetal likes this.
  20. BlueFlameAmps

BlueFlameAmps Member

I picked up the Xotic Super Sweet boost last week and it's really nice - small form factor, with switches on the side to boost certain frequencies or cut high end. Enjoying it a lot.

bluesymetal likes this.