Another Budda Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lpaul626, Jul 25, 2008.

1. lpaul626

lpaul626 Silver Supporting Member

After spending some time with my Budda SD 30, it is clear that the amp offers great tones. However, the amp seems more noisy than my other amps.

So ...to all the Budda owners (past & present), do you find the amp considerably more "noisy" than others? I've AB'd the amp with my Shiva and the Shiva is much less noisy in comparison.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance-

2. jhumber

jhumber Member

What you could be hearing is the fan in the back of the amp?
    My SD18 has what looks like a computer motherboard fan attached to the back, blowing down cool air onto the valves. A great idea, but adds a little noise (not a problem for me at all).
    In operation, I find my SD18 to be quieter than my Rivera R55.

3. lpaul626

Thanks. Definitely not the fan. My Shiva has a fan and this is definitely coming from the amp itself when turned up. It starts when the MV is around 10:00 or so.

4. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Is it on the clean channel or drive channel ??

I consider my Budda to be pretty quiet, with high gain there's a bit of noise, but thats to be expected ( and is controllable with my volume knob ).

Also any effects ?? I find the input sensitivity much higher on the Budda ( thats what makes them great amps and helps just about any pedal sound good on them )....but if you have a noisy cord or effect it will be amplified a bit more because of the increased sensitivity....

5. lpaul626

It's both . . . obviously more on the dirty channel.

I'm also not running through any FX.

By "quiet" . . . I assume this would be at Gig volumes?

6. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Yes, I mean gig volumes, thats the only way I judge any of my equipment and gear :).....

maybe you have a noisy preamp or power tube ?? What kind of sounds/noise are you hearing ??

7. kselbee

kselbee Member

I personally have not found my SD18 to be noisey, but haven't had it real loud. But I've had the MV around 9:00 and didn't notice any noise at all.

8. reddog112

reddog112 Member

My SD30 is dead quiet. I had some hum in mine through the loop and a crappy cord was the problem. I also agree with Andre, check the preamp tubes.

9. lpaul626

Thanks all .... I will check the tubes as it sounds like this could be the cause.

10. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

My SD30 super quiet as well. I would also suspect a noisy tube.

11. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

I run a couple fx in the loop which adds a little noise to my sd18, but overall considering the gain this thing has - it's pretty dang quiet. Not as quiet as my Maz Jr....but close.

12. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Hey man, not to highjack the thread, but can you give a comparison of the Budda and Maz JR -

I know the budda has more gain in the drive channel, but which one gives you a punchier loud clean sound ?? Which one has more clean headroom ??

I'm close to picking up a Maz JR NR as a backup to my Budda, so I'm just wondering.

Which one do you like better and why ??

Thanks man ! I've been looking to ask someone that has both !!

13. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

I like them both but since I got the sd18 the maz has been sitting ... however that always happens with a new amp during the honeymoon phase. I love the Maz Cleans better than the sd18. Sparkly and fuller. The Maz has more low end, chime, and better mids...but a lot less gain. The NR will give you more gain. I'd say the Maz with the right pedal can give the sd18 a run for it's money. The Budda is louder though. Let me know if you need any specific info on the comparison.

That being said, both amps are very quiet.

14. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Very helpful info man I appreciate it. I'm almost certain I'll get one now.

When you say the Budda is louder, do you mean you can get a louder clean sound out of the Budda ?? I run my budda fairly clean for about 80% of each gig believe it or not and I get nice loud clean tone ( for my purposes anyway ). I use the drive channel for about the other 20 % and a few leads ( otherwise i'm using pedals )

Will the Maz give me the same clean volume do you think ?? \

PS - I'll never get rid of my Budda SD18 - fantastic amp and one of my favorites of all time...

I'm looking at the maz for backup and to change up at gigs once in a while for a different vibe...

Thanks again and I apologize to the original poster for highjacking the thread for a couple of minutes ;)

15. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Budda is overall louder but has less clean headroom I think. WIth the Maz you can crank the master and adjust the volume to taste, and have better control of the clean sound.

16. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Awesome :AOK Thanks again - you've been very helpful and I appreciate you answering my questions.

Now , back to the original post :drink:BEER .

17. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

You'll enjoy the Maz Jr. It's an amp I'm still getting to know, which I like.

To the OP - I did replace all tubes on my SD18 and it improved the quietness of the amp, got rid of some of the hiss I was getting before., fwiw.

18. lpaul626

What did you use for tubes?

19. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

I am trying 3 ruby preamp tubes (chinese from KCA) and JJs in the power section. So far, so good.