1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Another can-o-worms: Gear Demos

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Andygee, May 17, 2011.

1. Andygee

Andygee Silver Supporting Member

Anybody but me notice that some of the gear, pedals for instance, have some of the crappiest sounding demo clips. I'm talking about great quality boxes we all know sound great. It's like the guys that hand wire this stuff don't listen to the end product. Let me know what you think. Here's an example of the opposite....this demo make me want to sell some stuff and buy whatever this guy is playing through...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe0m4Pwa8lk&feature=feedu

2. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

It's strange, I would apply your complaints about gear demos to the demo you like!:omg

Now Greg V? He makes me want to buy EVERYTHING he plays!

We're strange beasts and there's no way to make us all happy with any one offering. I do appreciate people trying to share what they're hearing even if it doesn't click with me. :)

3. Triangle

Triangle Member

Gearmanndude makes me never want to buy a pedal. Love the guy, but his tone is wayyyyy more treble oriented than mine. I love warm, dark, muddy tone.

4. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

To me, the best demos are the ones that seem to be approached from the perspective of making recording sound like it could almost be a finished product.

The demo you linked to is a good example. He isn't just playing through a boxy little combo and a dry signal. It sounds like he has a nice cabinet and has either incorporated some reverb or maybe mic'ed up to provide some reverb from the room. His "demo" could be the finished track on a fully recorded song for as good as it sounds.

5. KCWM

KCWM Supporting Member

The demo in the OP sounds great, but it doesn't make me want the pedal.

6. RockManDan

RockManDan Member

this is a huge pet peeve of mine as well. It baffles me that people will sniff corks all day long pondering over the differences in overdrives and the like, obsessing over minute details that i probably can't even detect, but they're basing their opinions off of (and producing!) the most awful quality videos ive ever seen, made with terrible webcam mics picking up all kinds of room verb and most importantly, compressing the signal. Turn your amp up loud enough and you'll make even the crappiest guitar sounds like it has big sustain when played back through an over compressed mic. So unrealistic.

Then there are people who try to demo pickups via online clips, which unless you know what that guitar sounds like through your amp/speakers, you really have no way of knowing its tonal qualities unless you have that exact guitar, or they provide clips of the same guitar with stock picksup or something, which they never do.

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I think it goes both ways. Definitely many crap demos abound. Frustrating too, because they seem to avoid doing the EXACT thing you are most interested in hearing...like:

if an OD, how does it react to "touch", I want them to hit a note softly, then hard. But often they only play chords...but I also want both solos, and chords. I want to hear the E9 chord to hear how well it articulates or if it just smushes all of it together...

If a fuzz, how does it clean up ?

Etc, etc.

But it goes the other way too. I have heard demos that sounded fantastic, and gotten the pedal and can't get anything NEAR what they were getting out of it...and not because "tone is in the fingers" but it's clear right off the bat, that pedal is not getting that sound with just a guitar, it, and an amp. Sometimes they use the studio, to add a little "magic" or they play it through an unobtanium amp.

8. Nielsnielsniels

Nielsnielsniels Member

Same, he is playing through all this fantastic gear but the sound quality is really terrible in comparison to Pro Guitar Shop demos, which are excellent IMO.

9. jerrycampbell

jerrycampbell Silver Supporting Member

Nice tone, but the player is way too fumbly for my taste. I don't like that Greg guy's playing either. Neither of them play complete phrases.

10. TheReverendCommon

TheReverendCommon Member

most of the dirt demos i see are of people trying to hard to be srv it's disgusting...

i get so into demos of people making the most godawful noise with what they are doing because it sounds so inspired....

oh, and gearmanndude also makes me never want to buy another pedal EVER

the guy has no concept of clean tone

11. shg

shg Senior Member

Any video on youtube that is recorded through a camera mic/laptop condenser mic is not worth listening to.

12. Andygee

Andygee Silver Supporting Member

Right....just the conditions at a NAMM booth.

13. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

I think the other thing that is terribly misleading, esp on pedal demos, is that the demoer is usually running a single pedal straight into the amp...tough to really get an idea of what it will sound like when it's on a board with your own particular pedals.

14. Fred Farkus

Fred Farkus Member

Demos will never replicate what YOUR setup will sound like with the said product. They can only show the potential of what it MIGHT do. It's just a taste, and that's all it will ever be.

Many people's expectations are way too high...

15. randelli

randelli Member

I always like the PhilX demos.

I would buy just from his enthusiasm alone!

16. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

17. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

True, very true.

Still, there are a number of folks that constistently provide excellent demos that tell me (as much as any demo can) what I might expect to be able to do with it.

There are others that seem more like an afterthought...which is a shame since some of them are for pedals I know to be much better than the demo would make you think...

18. 6Tones

6Tones Member

I think the best youtube demos are ones with the guitar tuned a quarter tone off on the E or B string .

19. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

If we're talking about guys just doing demos and putting them on youtube, you get what you pay for I guess. Stores and manufacturers should do a good job of it, and when they don't, I can see the complaint.

That plus he's usually demoing really nice vintage guitars of course, that store doesn't sell much else, that and and he plays real good. Since he never demos anything I can afford, it doesn't matter I guess. I still enjoy watching them though.

20. sksmith66

sksmith66 Supporting Member

I like seeing people demoing multiple $10k guitars that they own using nothing more than the internal mic and camera on their laptop.