• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Another company party everyone liked. But "The band was too loud." Again.

Stx

Silver Supporting Member
Just went to a company party with great food, and people happy to unwind together.
Oh, and the two-guys band played a good list, so loud everyone went to the far corner so they could shout at each other and be heard. One of the things they were saying was, "The band is too loud."
Another time that I wonder, why do performers make people hope that they don't see them again?

Last edited:

sleewell2

When you are playing places where people hate music and want to talk w sports on the tvs just go direct w in ears. The gear is so good these days, you have so many options. If you don't like modeling go tube amp into load box or an old Palmer speaker sim.

Most of the metal shows we play are loud and people are always shouting between songs to turn up.

Know your audience, read the room.

Last edited:

TheToneDig

It's having ridiculous expectations that you are Jimi Hendrix and patrons will go through the discomfort of fire engine decibel levels to hear your 'tone'.

I see bands setting up 100W Marshall's in a medium-sized pub and the only people who can stand near the band are the ones loaded so drunk they don't care about tone.

The problem is the bands read about those that have made it and how the bands played loud and that is what got the crowd going. What they don't see are all the bands that didn't make it playing that loud because it's also uncomfortable to be around. Unless you sound amazing, you will just annoy people.

Attenuation has saved ears.

Average Joe

For every thread about overzealous soundmen a thread could be posted along the lines of the OP. There are several problems:

First, a lot of bands flat don't know how to play at appropriate levels. I've been in a few.

Second, you may not be able to tell from the stage that you're too loud. You should be, but see point 1.

Third, a lot of event planners like the idea of a live band but not the actual execution. They like the theatre/spectacle of it, but not the loudness that even the best behaved band will bring - at least if using acoustic drum sets.

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
I get an awful lot of gigs by being the guitar player who has to be asked to turn up instead of down. The hard part is finding a drummer who can accommodate... and the guys who can get a lot of gigs for that reason.

Know your audience. You can be very musical without being loud and if you depend on volume to make your show, you're actually missing out on more fun than you think. Once you're in the mindset that your audience will treat you as audio wallpaper, you can have a ton of fun just interacting with the other musicians if they're good enough.

Last edited:

JK1965

Gold Supporting Member
Way too many bands these days sound lousy because they are playing at such low volume. It’s the other extreme. Thin tinny anemic sounding guitars with zero sustain over powered by the rest of the band. When it gets to that all the fun has been sucked out of it.

There is band here in NJ that is young 19-22 and they are absolutely incredible. Like something out of a time machine. They are not what I’d call loud but by today’s standards probably are. They sound great wherever they play so it’s not crappy loud and muddled. There have been gigs where they’ve been asked to turn down and their answer is you hired us to do what we do and we can only go lower to certain point or there’s no point. In talking to them after, the message was hey we’re not for everyone or every place and we’re finding out as we go but we will not compromise our product. These guys can be booked 7 days a week if they want 365. They have venues across the ocean begging them to come over and the same across the US.

Again they sound like a band should sound and are not what I’d call loud but some places today have taken the life out of live music.

Just a different side of this issue.

Way too many bands these days sound lousy because they are playing at such low volume. It’s the other extreme. Thin tinny anemic sounding guitars with zero sustain over powered by the rest of the band. When it gets to that all the fun has been sucked out of it.

There is band here in NJ that is young 19-22 and they are absolutely incredible. Like something out of a time machine. They are not what I’d call loud but by today’s standards probably are. They sound great wherever they play so it’s not crappy loud and muddled. There have been gigs where they’ve been asked to turn down and their answer is you hired us to do what we do and we can only go lower to certain point or there’s no point. In talking to them after, the message was hey we’re not for everyone or every place and we’re finding out as we go but we will not compromise our product. These guys can be booked 7 days a week if they want 365. They have venues across the ocean begging them to come over and the same across the US.

Again they sound like a band should sound and are not what I’d call loud but some places today have taken the life out of live music.

Just a different side of this issue.

Don't leave us hanging. What's the band? Sounds way more interesting than "office holiday party SNAFU"*

*no offense to OP, of course.

Strummerfan

Work parties are not the appropriate place to "crank it". Same with weddings and private parties. These are people who know each other well, and are there as much to socialize or network. As such, the band needs to know when to take a back seat.

Riffmaster227

Maybe I’m weird but I feel like people should not talk during the performance shut up and listen!
To me music should be treated like a movie!
Listen and experience it then discuss afterwards. Loud what is loud? These days a fender champ on 2 is loud it’s ridiculous! Where’s the fire! Where’s the heart the soul, the energy? Volume is important for dynamics which seem to be a lost art form these days!

and no I’m not an old get off my lawn man reliving my glory days!

Bozak

There are many reasons why any band that wants to sound great should have a sound person, but getting the volume right is a big one, and sometimes that means cranking it up a bit! not every gig should be low volume, but obviously gigs like this it should be and a point person to make the call when the band is oblivious is best.

It's worth the money every time IMO, hire a sound guy!

FPFL

Silver Supporting Member
being too loud is far more common than being too quiet. drums are the first issue, guitars second.
more drummers should set up behind plexiglas or play electric drums in the small to medium sized places and then the volume fight wouldn't have to start.

mge80

Maybe I’m weird but I feel like people should not talk during the performance shut up and listen!
Listen and experience it then discuss afterwards. Loud what is loud? These days a fender champ on 2 is loud it’s ridiculous! Where’s the fire! Where’s the heart the soul, the energy? Volume is important for dynamics which seem to be a lost art form these days!

WHAT?!?!?

There is no company party in the world where the people are there to "shut up and listen" to the band. The band and their "performance" are not the prime attraction. They are background music.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
Work parties are not the appropriate place to "crank it". Same with weddings and private parties. These are people who know each other well, and are there as much to socialize or network. As such, the band needs to know when to take a back seat.

Unfortunately there are many bands out there that couldn't care less if they are appropriate for the gig or not. They will take anything thrown their way, show up and do it their way.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member

WHAT?!?!?

There is no company party in the world where the people are there to "shut up and listen" to the band. The band and their "performance" are not the prime attraction. They are background music.

Totally agree with mge80 on this.
What company party would be held at a movie theater when a movie in being shown.

A company party should have an area right in front of the band where the band can be very clearly heard for people who want to dance or listen but when you step away from that area the band should be background noise.

JK1965

Gold Supporting Member
Don't leave us hanging. What's the band? Sounds way more interesting than "office holiday party SNAFU"*

*no offense to OP, of course.

Fat Mezz.

All former child prodigies.

Billy “the kid” Thoden on guitar. Played with the Band of Gypsys at 13. Was nicknamed by Billy Gibbons. Ridiculously great player in many styles including jazz.

Dom Levy on Bass. For old Stern fans, yes his dad is The Reverend Bob Levy. He’s the oldest at 22. If there’s a better bass player out there I haven’t seen them. He’s that good! He plays guitar on a few songs and is better than just about anyone you’ll see.

Curt Foster is the other guitar player. It’s almost like he takes a backseat to Billy and Dom but he’s a great player in his own right.

Corey Choades on drums. This kid is 19 and does things that defy logic. His timing and feel are sublime.

They all sing and harmonize really well, have stage presence for days and go off into places almost no bands could even imagine.

Check em out online and don’t miss them if they are anywhere near you. I promise you’ll be floored! Everyone is!
They have some good originals and are writing now. Covers? Hands down best cover band I’ve ever seen and pretty much everyone who sees them says the same thing…

Every now and then something special comes along and it’s infectious. These guys have IT in every way…

Strummerfan

Unfortunately there are many bands out there that couldn't care less if they are appropriate for the gig or not. They will take anything thrown their way, show up and do it their way.
It's the mark of a lack of professionalism. Not that I consider myself a professional, but we knew the difference between a backyard party and a busy bar.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom