Another cool 12ax7 Score: 2 Telefunkens and a Bugle Boy!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JohnnyL, Nov 14, 2005.

1. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Member

Good Hunting at the flea market this weekend. I scored two Teles and a Bugle Boy manufactured in 1959. All look and test like new and could probably be sold on the net by dealers as white box NOS. I even got a package deal on them. They were included with the pristine (1959) TeleSonic reel to reel tape player I bought.

Full Package Price-$10.00 :cool: :dude

Once I looked in back and saw the first Tele I knew I would make an offer. Went out to the van and slipped the sleeves off and discovered the second Tele and then the Bugle Boy. Icing on the cake!

Does a 6AQ5 driven circuit make for a good practice amp?

Peace,

JohnnyL

2. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

I'll give you $20 for all three of them. You'll make a 100% profit in only two days! :AOK

3. Erik

Erik Member

I'll give you $21. :cool:

4. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Member

Thanks for the offers guys. However, I think these will have to remain in my personal stash. Just a few weeks ago I got two beautiful Valvo ECC83s with the 45 degree declined getters-TubeClassics.com says these are quite rare. I was at the right place and time on these too...Free! I really enjoy the hunt and don't mind checking out the places where I find the deals. I especially enjoy getting great tone 'tools' for cheap$$.

Peace,

JohnnyL

5. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Hey JohnnyL -

I'm still waiting to hear your sonic impressions of these gems you've been waving around. Plug 'em in, and let us know what you like (and why). Should be fun!

- T

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

6AQ5s are fairly similar to El84s, so yes, it should sound good as a small amp.

7. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Member

Hey Timbre Wolf. I'll post a more comprehensive report at a later time including the various tubes I've been fortunate enough to collect here of late. I can tell you that my Marshall 4210-yes with the 2205 circuit, responds really well to NOS tubes. I can tailor the sound of the amp quite well using NOS.

Here is a quick synopsis of what I have tried: All with a 60s Sylvania 12AT7 in the PI and Sylvania 12ax7s in V2 and V3.

I was using a Lorenz ECC83 (Siemans Halske) in V1. It sounds so very warm with great crunch and lead tone. It is a really good tube to seek out. I have a smooth plate Telefunken that sounds great and the Lorenz is very similar.
    I have an early 50s Tung Sol in V1 now. It is very robust in character. It has great crunch with lots of clarity and sparkle but very full, not thin at all. The Tung Sol's gain is rich and very classy.
    The 1961 Raytheon Black Plate is a real treat. I did not have it in there long but I can't wait to spend more time with it-It definately rocks.
    The NOS Sylvanias produce a lot of gain and I'm sure would work well for any high gainer. Can't wait to try them in my Rivera KHR. The tone from the Sylvania is great too. So far the Sylvania seems to be the most neutral. I mean they sound really good without being too dark or bright as some other tubes may be described. They too are very articulate with warm tones- which is good because I now have enough of them to last the rest of my life! To me these may be the best all around tube.

Prior to the Lorenz, I was using some 60s GEs. They had lots of gain and were bright sounding.

Keep in mind that all of my references are from using a strat. I haven't tried my Les Paul with any of them yet!

I have several more to try and am pretty anxious to hear the Valvos, GE Mullards and RCAs.

I still have to try some NOS GE, RCA and Sylvania 7025s and 5751s.

I can hear a huge difference in this amp when I switch from a modern Chinese or Russian tube to one of the NOS. The amp goes from sounding a bit thin to crunching, or roaring, like a Marshall should!

Take care guys and happy tone hunting to all.

JohnnyL

8. Timbre Wolf

Now that's what I want to hear - thanks!!

Your description of the TungSol sounds quite a bit like my impressions of RCA's long black-plate/square-getter 12AX7: I wonder if the TungSol was a rebrand? I'd definitely like to hear more on your experience with the Raytheon, as it is one of my absolute favorites.

By the way, I also play a "Strat" (okay, really a Warmoth parts "pseudocaster"), and tend toward the cleaner side of things in my preamp settings, with a special fondness of being able to control the breakup with my dynamics. Sounds like we're probably on the same page here.

- T

9. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Member

"drbob1 6AQ5s are fairly similar to El84s, so yes, it should sound good as a small amp."

I plan to give the recorder a chance. I'm not familiar with the circuit at all but was impressed to see three drivers in there. I wonder how hard I can drive a 6AQ5? I have some Jan NOS in case I need a replacement. I'll have to do some research on tape players sooner or later and report back about my findings.

Thanks.

JohnnyL

10. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Member

Timbre Wolf said:

By the way, I also play a "Strat" (okay, really a Warmoth parts "pseudocaster"), and tend toward the cleaner side of things in my preamp settings, with a special fondness of being able to control the breakup with my dynamics. Sounds like we're probably on the same page here.

I really like to crank the clean side of the amp. The tone is very fat with lots of crunch, even with the strat. :)

Take Care,

JL

11. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Member

Timbre Wolf
    "Your description of the TungSol sounds quite a bit like my impressions of RCA's long black-plate/square-getter 12AX7:"

I scored an RCA Black Long Plate 12ax7 last night. Can't wait to try it.

Peace,

JohnnyL

12. Timbre Wolf

Let me know how the RCA compares with the TungSol. I think that if I had a regular Strat, I may favor the RCA's fat and rich character. My pseudostrat has a chambered body and fatter-sounding Kinman Blues pickups, so I tend to favor the more lean and twangy early '60s Raytheon black-plate.

- T

13. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

JohnnyL,

You're killing me with all your excellent tube finds!:mad: :D Congrats!

BTW, I've tried most of the tubes you mentioned and pretty much agree with your findings. The old Tung Sols are probably my favorites. I like them even more than Mullards.:eek:

14. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Member

Its killing me too Argonaut.

I struck 'gold' about four weeks ago and have bought over 200 tubes since then. Most are military JAN, JHS, JTL, Sylvanias and GEs. There were some others including a couple of Mullard GEs, Amperex, TungSol and Raytheon.

I agree about the TungSol. I had a 50s TungSol in V1 and 67 GEs in V2, V3. This combination was made for my amp(Marshall 4210/2205) It was a real tone moment-so good I did not want to stop!

I also tried the RCA Black Plate. The tone is very much classic rock sounding with a raw edge. Not much sustain but a nice kind of attack and crunch.

I finally tried one of the Valvos in V1. It sounded great too. This tube provides exactly what to expect from EURO NOS. Not too compressed, but very lively and lots of power.

I was really surprised when I put a 61 GE in V1. The tone was very fat and the sustain was even better! With this tube single notes ring for a long time. A very nice tube.

I have to make notes as I change the tubes around. I know I'll spend some time with that GE or TungSOl in V1!

Peace,

JohnnyL