Another D-style amp question (sorry)

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by fabiomayo, Jul 7, 2005.

1. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

Hi, everyone.
    Sorry to post threads about this amp since they usually and up bad but it's killing me here...
    I live in Brazil and will get my hands in a custom made Dumble style amp. The info I got from the builder is pretty consistent with all web info I gathered about this amp (if there is a way to call it one amp) except that he builds it with the regular external pots plus an external tone stack (three band eq for the od channel - I´ve heard about these external trimmers, but the builder puts it outside for easier tweaking) and the following switches: Deep, Mid, Bright, Jazz/Rock, Boost. I've seen pics of dumbles with everyone of these switches but never all of them in one amp...
    Do you have any idea what this might be and where this circuit might come from?
    Also I posted a thread a while ago about combos or head and cab with very good responses but here it goes again for the ones that might be interested in sharing:
    I´m really more of a combo kind of guy and still am wonderin' if a head would be the way to go here...
    Here is the Eminence speakers that the tech offered me (as my options for combos - and I've listed them from the ones I believe would work better):
    1x12" Texas Heat
    1x12" The Tonker (I'm not sure if this is an option)
    2x12" Screamin' Eagle
    2x12" Cannabis Rex

Sorry about the long thread and the risk to start bitter flavours to our discussions...
    Thanks you all...
    Fabio

Oh, to give these some context: I play a 335 type guitar w/ low output humbuckers, mostly blues, and clean to mild overdrive tones (though there are moments)...

2. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

Hi everyone...
    Now I've done a bit more research on the topic. The builder seems to use a certain circuit A as a reference. From what I understand it is almost the same as the hybrid_a available ('77 architecture, '97 components values), but with the OD tone stack. They both have all those aforementioned switches.
    Some Two Rock amps appear to have all those options too (plus an interesting switch to bypass the OD tone stack - I believe this will be one more request :D ). I also found some really nice info on the Glaswerk website, forum and by chamging emails with the guy. Very nice and helpful man. There are some suggested mods and tweaks on his clone project description...
    Now back to the speakers... The builder is pushing the 2x12" Screamin Eagle, but I am thinking the Tonker or Texas Heat would work better. What you guys think? BTW, it looks like its going to be 2x12" combo after all (probably not a completely closed back) ...

Thank you very much... Any help is highly appreciated...

3. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Assuming your tech can get other models of Eminence speakers, the Tonespotter seems to work extremely well with both Two Rock Custom Reverb and Fuchs ODS amps. It sounds like your amp will be similar to those amps. Some folks like the Wizard as well with these amps.

Personally, I'm real happy with the Tonespotter for a Dumble style amp and your style of playing. I like the Tonker and Cannabis Rex in Fender BF amps, especially the CR in a BFDR.

4. Tomo

Tomo Member

Me too. I highly recommend the Tonespotters.
    I like my Screaming Eagles, the Tonker. My Fuchs 50
    loves my Tonespotters.

I have Governors in one of my BF Fenders,
    RW&B in other. Screaming Eagles, The Tonkers...

Again, all depend on amp's voicing. For instance, the Tonker
    has great fat tone from 2' voice coil and 59 oz. magnet,but
    if the amp got fat, big tone... then both too good?
    Just like building guitar.... balance is very important. not
    just great parts.

Tomo

5. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

Hi... Thanks for your input. They're as usual really helpful. I haven't been able to contact the tech yet, but I never heard of tonespotters being imported... Hope they do...
    There are so many details to work out with the tech and the speaker is probably the last thing to discuss. I am hoping to be able to place an order this week (just waiting to sell a Regal resonator...).
    Thanks again. Any other thoughts will be highly apprecciated...

6. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

Hey guys. I'd just like to thank you all for your input. I see many threads where people get their help and don't report back.

My Dumble style amp arrived this weekend made by an one-man company called Eduas. It turned out as a 2x12" open back combo. Later on I'll take some pics.
    It sounds incredible. It has the traditional Dumble Overdrive Special knobs plus a few switches and features. Deep, Mid, Bright, Jazz/Rock, Boost (for bypassing the tone stack) and a Drive Boost (to bypass the drive tonestack). The mode switching and the two boosts are available as a 3-button footswitch. It also features a Pentode/Triode, impedance (4 or 8 ohms), and rectifier (silicon diode or tube) switches. Tubes are 3 JJ's ECC83, 1 EH 5U4 and two JJ's 6L6GC. It also features a bias selector between 6L6s and EL-34s with separate internal trimpots for each kind of power.
    The amp layout is Bassman style, with controls on top.

The clean channel is a beautiful, full sound. Very easy to adjust to taste. The OD section is more difficult to get the sound but still very versatile and incredible tone. A little tweaking is needed. It has the OD tone stack on the outside (which is very handy IMO).

I really believe it should have a more closed out back - it has a 18 cm wide space between chassis and the rest of the cabinet (certainly for heat control). Anyway it sounds incredible and the two 12" really make up for this. I find myself always tilting the amp a little bit (perhaps one of those sound enhancer would be the key?). It weights about 60 pounds but it is not that difficult to carry. Besides the handle above it has two side handles (very very handy).

Speakers are Eminence. One Patriot Cannabis Rex and one Red Coat Private Jack. These were the builders recommendation without having to charge more and I still don't know if he could have got the Tonespotter (I believe not). Maybe he could have the Tonker but I liked his suggestions and the reviews all around. This speakers are hardly broken in and yet sound so good. They really move some air and tone is incredible. Pretty smooth or hard edged (but not harsh) according to your needs, amp settings and playing. One of them seems brighter while the other one is fuller (can't remember which is which :D ). I guess they balance well together.

So these are my first impressions about the results of my research here and throughout. Even though I didin't followed exactly what you suggested, it turned real good since I made informed decisions based on all inputs.

So I truthly thank you all...

7. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

:AOK

Congratulations and thanks for the report. That's one speaker combination I haven't heard....glad it works for you!

8. VacuumVoodoo

VacuumVoodoo Member

Fabio,

I too found the Private Jack / Cannabis Rex combination a great fit, they complement each other well in all repects. Private Jack is the bright one, Cannabis Rex a little more midrangy.

9. It will take some more time/etc. then just following the online schematics imho, I've helped a a couple of customers to build such amps, also helping with a couple of tweaks/etc.

Best speaker ioho... a nice EV...