1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Another Delay questions thread

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Nathan, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Nathan

Nathan Member

Hi all, I KNOW there are a billion delay threads out there, but it's making my head spin so doing a search is too time-consuming for me. Maybe you can help?

I own a Blackbox Quicksilver which I bought because I figured it would be pretty well the ultimate boutique stompbox unit. It's good, but there are niggles. I want to ask what are my options for analog units. I am no totally against the digital ones that simulate analog, but I want true bypass if possible.

So throw them at me! Maxon AD-900 or -999? Boss DD-20? Memory Lane? I can't use 300 ms: too short for me. If I had to, I could use a bypass loop... Thanks for your help!

2. eknapier

eknapier Member

new deluxe memory man is true bypass, you can also have it modded by the designer, howard davis, for an extended range of flexibility. I was on a thread about this just a few days back.

3. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

You can get a nice sounding trippy tap tempo analog delay on a DD-20.

Sometimes clear delays are nice too. Hard to get on an analog pedal.

4. drolling

drolling Member

Nathan, I'm interested in the Blackbox Quicksilver. What are the issues with it?

5. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

6. mustangman

mustangman Member

i use a Ibanez AD-9 with a true bypass loop box, and i love it!

7. Nathan

Nathan Member

I'm more comfortable with the sound than I was when I wrote that first statement. It was a noisey connection somewhere which was repeated whenever the Quicksilver was on. THEN I saw the Memory Lane videos! Yikes -scary nice pedal! Anyway, I think the Quicksilver's features are about the same, but a little more useful to me.

The big niggle is the repeat gets "saved" when you switch from slow to fast (or vice-versa).Furthermore, it is saved when yuo turn the pedal off. That means that when you turn it on, it often has the tail end of your last played part. Same thing if you switch back to slow (or fast). It's fine if your sample is done repeating when you switch however, and it disappears quickly when it happens. Not such a big deal, but I wish it wasn't there. You would have to be aware of this if you were recording or else I could see people hating the Quicksilver big time!

8. drolling

drolling Member

So it's saving a 'sample' of your last note? That is bizzarre.. I wonder what, if any, was the reasoning behind this. I love wierd pedals, but I can't see a practical application for a feature like that. The Memory Lane isn't perfect either, but there's a 'Quirks' section in the manual that explains why.

The Memory Lane is a great pedal. Does rockabilly slap-back & insane oscilllation/modulation effects equally well, which is all I expect from an analog delay. Only goes to 550ms, tho', which is average for analog. I'm in line for an Echoczar as well for that extra delay time.

9. Nathan

Nathan Member

Not exactly your last note, it's just the repeats fading really. If it's not done fading when you switch, you hear it when you switch back. I won't be springing for an Echoczar -too pricey! I also like the small footprint of the Quicksilver. It would be useful to have a DD-6 or such for the sound-on-sound. BTW, the Qicksilver's modulation is wacked-out crazy fun. I also like the speed control from an expression pedal.

10. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah, I know. Good analog delay cost a fortune. Just look at the stupid money people are getting for their Way Huge Aqua Pusses on eBay! I tried one at a shop in Nashville when they'd just came out. My credit card couldn't take the $175 hit at the time...

Now that expression pedal for speed control is the kind of thing that interests me. I've got a pile of delay pedals, analog & digital, but none of them do that. Can you control the repeats with the expression pedal as well? This is one great feature of the Memory Lane. You can send the thing into self oscillation without taking your hands off the guitar (I had my old MemoryMan on a mic stand to do this) but if I could control the speed as well...ah..

11. Nathan

Nathan Member

Of course none of the units out there can do EVERYTHING, but It would really be great if I could control the repeats to get it to self-oscillate as well! As it is, the Quicksilver does everything I want of it except the sound-on-sound. Even the Echoczar wouldn't do that, so there you go! Buy one of each: Echoczar, Memory Lane, Quicksilver, and modded DD-6 and maybe a DD-20 for good measure. It will only take you out about $1800 or so...

12. drolling

drolling Member

And you know what? It'd be worth every penny...

I'm going thru' the same thing with loopers (phrase samplers, not A/B boxes) they each have their own bag of cool tricks, but none of them do it all..