Another delay search (clarity, self oscillation ...)

Jet Age Eric

I've gotten great mileage out of my Brigadier, but I'm curious about other options that offer:

1. Articulate repeats even with overdrive and frenetic rhythm playing on the neck pup.
2. Self oscillation via tap switch. (I love the Avalanche Run but the oscillation ramps up too slowly; El Capistan "saturates" and compresses rather than oscillates.)
3. Uh, has tap. :p
4. A boost to compensate for perceived vol. loss would be great.

Thanks! -E

ry-guy

Timeline?

Most analog delays have been the ones that had the truest oscillation to my ears. Haven’t kept up with what’s out there but maybe a RE-20 or new Boss dd-200

S. F. Sorrow

I've gotten great mileage out of my Brigadier, but I'm curious about other options that offer:

1. Articulate repeats even with overdrive and frenetic rhythm playing on the neck pup.
2. Self oscillation via tap switch. (I love the Avalanche Run but the oscillation ramps up too slowly; El Capistan "saturates" and compresses rather than oscillates.)

Thanks! -E
Have you tried the El Cap's repeats secondary knob? It's tape bias. Gives the repeats more headroom.

Jet Age Eric

I've thought about both of these, but the footprint might be insurmountable. :( That said, these endorsements are telling me I need to look more closely. Thx! -E

I absolutely adore the Volante for oscillations.
Timeline?

Most analog delays have been the ones that had the truest oscillation to my ears. Haven’t kept up with what’s out there but maybe a RE-20 or new Boss dd-200

Zooey

I used an Echo Park with one those propeller knobs on the feedback control so I could turn it with my foot. It sounded better to me for some purposes than the Brigadier, which I also own. Unfortunately the shafts for those pots are plastic and it got snapped off while in my pedalboard case.

Blue Bee

Echo park come to mind, I used to put a big MXR knob with the rubber cap on the feedback pot to adjust it on the fly. The El Cap oscillating can be adjusted using the secondary controls, but takes a while to figure out... took me years. El Cap and Rubberneck keep me oscillating in happiness.

JesterR

You can make it less compressed, by putting secondary bias control to minimum. I found that feature really useful, because I can adjust, how present feedback would be.
But yeah, you are right, it's not that aggressive as from BBD delays, and Brigadier, which models BBD delay.

PSQRCL

Currently use the Chase Bliss Audio Tonal Recall RKM live and use all those features above (except for boost - I can't think of too many with this feature apart from the EAE Sending and Moog 104 series delays).

My current setup sees a Menatone Fish Factory into the RKM - loads of volume and what's amazing is the amount of headroom available. I don't believe I've ever managed to get it to clip. Delays have great clarity if you want them - the mix knob is very powerful. Normally leave it at around 8-9 o'clock and it will cut through the mix for dotted eight palm mutes and fade into an ambient wash for twinkly chordage.

Perhaps add a Zvex Channel 2 after the delay if you're concerned with volume loss? I've never perceived this with the RKM by the way.
Would still be a really small footprint setup :D

jawajt

Thanks! -E
My absolute favorite delay for what you describe is the EHX Deluxe Memory Man Tap Tempo 1100. The repeats cut through a mix. It has tap. It has a gain knob, to adjust the volume. And the oscillation is the best I’ve heard. It gets nice and washy, without getting too “thumpy” or “squealy”. It ramps up nice and steady, but that can be adjusted too. Most importantly, it ramps down gradually, after you let the switch go. Most of the delays that allow you to send them into oscillation via the footswitch, get this wrong IMHO. Instead of them ramping down, they end abruptly.
I have one of the original ones. But from what I’ve heard, the new ones sound just as good.