Another Distortion/OD Pedal Order Post

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GretschRock, Mar 12, 2015.

1. GretschRock

GretschRock Member

Sorry for yet another one of these, and I know that ultimately I will need to experiment to figure out what I like best -- just trying to shortcut the process and get a little feedback.

I've slowly been building a pedal board, and have acquired three dirt boxes, all of which I really like for different reasons. The first is a Rockbox Boiling Point, the second is a Fulltone Secret Freq., and the third is a Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker. The Big Muff obviously has a distinctive tone, but the other two, while different, are more versatile depending on how much gain/distortion you dial up, the various voicings on the Boiling Point, and how you use the "Freq" knob on the Secret Freq.

Long story short, anyone figured out what approach works best stacking any combination of these pedals? Due to its dedicated mid-boost bump (which I love), the Secret Freq. seems the hardest to stack without undermining what it does best. I have also found that when one uses the Tone Wicker and/or bypasses the Tone knob on the Big Muff, it can get a little unruly.

All of these pedals profess to be true-bypass, but run together (even off) there does appear to be a little tone degradation and some extra noise when using all three pedals in the chain rather than just two (the Big Muff is the newest addition, so it is probably the culprit there -- still figuring that out). After the dirt, I run a chorus pedal and an analog delay (also all true-bypass). All of this goes into a small tube amp (JTM 30) on the clean channel. I plan on adding a buffer to the front of the chain to see if that addresses the situation, but it hasn't come in the mail yet. : )

Sorry for the long-winded post (my first). Any thoughts on optimizing this setup?

2. ersrhead

ersrhead Member

I'm using different pedals, but I've recently settled on Muff > OD/Boost > Distortion. In my case it's Little Big Muff > Soul Food > Glove.

This is in part because I generally like the sound of a muff better when it gets a lower input signal, and in part to emulate that muff into overdriven marshall sound.

I'd try the Muff first, and then stack the other two by putting whichever you have set for higher gain last.

3. logang

logang Member

^ This is how I'd do it as well. If you go distortion then overdrive it tends to sound a little hairy for my tastes most of the time. It works with fuzzes though, because slamming a fuzz with two much gain on the input makes them go crazy, sometimes in a good way for some purposes, but mostly just inarticulate and noisy.

4. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

I have a musket fuzz ad its very versatile for dialing in tones due to the top row of knobs. But i like the fuzzy sounds. I feel like when I put my drive after it, the sounds smooth out too much. Adversely when I tweak the fuzz and hit its input w my light OD, it has a wonderful sound thats not too saturated but still has the grit

5. ncyankee

ncyankee Member

Agreed with what has been said. I like fuzz, distortion then OD, although I will throw a boost up front.