Another "do overdrives go well with fender princeton 65 reissues" thread .....

Stratsmyboy

Sorry i know this seems to have been done to death but ive just picked up my first princeton after trying the helix for the last year.
So im back looking for an overdrive or two. Ive just sent back my first attempt, the gladio sc which wasnt great with the princeton. I did have it with my last amp the imperial mkii and it was fine.
Im looking at maybe the centura maybe as an always on pedal as i did with the imperial. Seems to add a sparkle but again will it work with princeton.
I have noticed the neck and middle pick up position together is pretty muddy without any effects which i was surprised at being a fender amp.
Im also looking at the gravity by nordvang instead of the centura if i go that route and the snouse black box and maybe the soloist.
So blues breaker, klon and tubescreamer types.
Any thoughts? A better speaker maybe in the future if that would improve effects.

I would get one dope overdrive (Greer Southland or Supa Cobra OR Timmy all sound great with a Princeton), and replace the stock Jensen. The difference between the Jensen and something like an Alnico Gold 10 inch will completely change the tone and feel of the amp, but only in positive ways.

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
Since you’re finding neck and middle positions muddy my first questions would be the overall rig: pickups? how much cabling & capacitance rating? amp settings? speaker?

I’ll also agree the Snapper is a nice one as is everything I’ve tried from Menatone.

Given the price range of the drives you’ve mentioned you could consider a tube pedal like the Tubesteader Lightkeeper or Kingsley Page. One of my favorite drives is the Fairfield Barbershop (with the sag set around 9:00-10:00). It uses discrete jfets which have a more similar response to a tube compared to the common diode-clipping drives listed above.

Yep - Red Snapper works great with a Princeton circuit. . When I had my FF the Blue Collar was great. Menatone Das Boost is awesome too and retains the feel of the amp.

Prince of Tone is really good. Sarno Earth Drive, TC Spark boost too... those are some I've liked a lot.

But the Snapper remains my favorite.
+1 on at least looking into the Earth Drive.

It has sounded great into all the smaller Fender combos I’ve used it with.

Stratsmyboy

Since you’re finding neck and middle positions muddy my first questions would be the overall rig: pickups? how much cabling & capacitance rating? amp settings? speaker?

I’ll also agree the Snapper is a nice one as is everything I’ve tried from Menatone.

Given the price range of the drives you’ve mentioned you could consider a tube pedal like the Tubesteader Lightkeeper or Kingsley Page. One of my favorite drives is the Fairfield Barbershop (with the sag set around 9:00-10:00). It uses discrete jfets which have a more similar response to a tube compared to the common diode-clipping drives listed above.
Hi thanks for all the replies, just working my way through them now.
I have a custom shop strat with bare knuckle pick ups that came with the strat from new, slab ones i think. Treble was on 6 and bass on 4 but i reduced it to treble 4 and bass at 2.5. The neck pick up is fine clean but together i was surprised how muddy it was. Im using the same gear i have for the last few years and had no problems with the imperial.

Stratsmyboy

Sorry forgot to mention its a mogami cable although at work at mo so cant remember which one

I suppose the bases i want covering are low gain boost type, low gain bright hendrix marshall type and possibly a tubescreamer

I enjoyed the lightspeed when i last had but i did find the feel not to my liking, a soft attack maybe ...

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
I suppose the bases i want covering are low gain boost type, low gain bright hendrix marshall type and possibly a tubescreamer

Hmm… certiatone Horsebreaker maybe? It’s a dual pedal with a klone and blues breaker in one. Certiatone makes great stuff. For the tubescreamer I’d just get an Ibanez mini.

Stratsmyboy

Also, was actually thinking about replacing the speaker with the gold after doing some online research but the thought of spending nearly another 200 for a speaker on a new amp makes me quake ...... would it improve the amp with overdrives or just the clean sound? Is it a myth the 65 reissue doesnt take pedals well or is it true? The one ive tried colours the sound so it may be as simple as it didnt like that pedal.

Stratsmyboy

I was looking at the horsebreaker as i can get one here in the uk pretty easily. Ive had the centura as a stand alone pedal and loves it for the imperial although i usaully just used it with gain just about off ..... how does the centura side compare? And how would the breaker side compare with something like the snouse which i had and liked?

vmeyer

Silver Supporting Member
The gold and a new speaker cable really improved the tone of my Princeton. Solid investments. I did not like the Lightspeed with the amp… sold it. Taks pedals well. Currently using a Catalinbread 5f1…. single coils and buckers work equally well. Great pedal by the way!

D.G.

I use a Jensen c10q in mine -- 30 watts. The cleans have just a smidge more mids, and smoother highs, which is most noticeable with gain pedals. Won't cost an arm and a leg either!

For a TS type, I like the Hardwire CM-2. Pretty much anything from Skreddy. Rats are good. I find most fuzzes are way too bright without running them into another overdrive, like the aforementioned CM-2.

As always, IMO, YMMV, etc.

Stratburst70

I use a Fender Princeton with a 12” Cannabis Rex speaker for church. I prefer the CR because it gives me more headroom and preserves the sound of my guitars.

With my EJ Strat, it’s TS types all the way. I use a Green Rhino for my solo boost and a Keeley Red Dirt if I want big power chords.

For humbucker style guitars, I replace the Red Dirt with my D&M Drive. The Mick (Klone) side is always on and the Dan side comes in when I want more distortion.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom