Another "do overdrives go well with fender princeton 65 reissues" thread .....

radicool

I’ve had a PRRI for several years and I think it does well with almost any OD I put into it. I buy clones mostly so that I can try a lot of pedals without going broke. Sometimes I’m not even sure what box the clone is cloning, but it doesn’t matter: it either sounds good or it doesn’t. Some that I like a lot: Caline Orange Buzzer; Joyo Sweet Baby; Donner Blues Drive; CNZ Fuzz; Caline Highway Man; EarthQuakerDevices Arrows; Little Bear (Rat clone). I use all of these, and others, regularly with the Princeton. They sound good.

Justinsimonin

I have a 65, originally with a 12” green back that I swapped for a 12” Gold. I think that swap had a more positive impact on my tone (clean and dirty) than any single pedal. I’ve tried dozens of drive pedals with the Princeton- most of them sounded good or at least fine (even if they didn’t work for me personally) None of them sounded particularly bad, only a few really stood out as great. I primarily play a Les Paul (with P90s) and have always preferred bridge pickups (so take this with a grain of salt) but I imagine a BB style pedal (or anything else with a bass cut- maybe a Timmy?) would work better on getting a clearer sound than just a pedal that has some top end sparkle- ie I don’t think a Klon clone (unless it has a dedicated bass control) would be the best choice, but again ymmv

trower

[geer/peyj] hubris, confuse, paralysis by analysis
Gold Supporting Member
Ive been thinking about a Princeton possibly myself. If I do get one, I'll likely grab a Wampler Pantheon again. It worked so well with my Freidman as well as my Blackface Deluxe so it's probably a very good start.

Big in Japan

Silver Supporting Member
Bluesbreaker types generally work great with my Princeton. My favorite was the Black Box 2. But the Prince of Tone was also really good. And the stock Bluesbreaker circuit is also very good. I hate klones, and generally don’t get along with Screamers.

I recently took a chance on a Kingsley Page. And holy smokes is it great. It’s just about everything that I could ask for in an overdrive for my Princeton. It’s dynamic. It’s neither congested nor lacking in any particular frequency. It takes a Rangemaster and a Fuzz Face really great. And it can generate its own tube grit. I was apprehensive about buying a boost pedal that cost half what I paid for the amp. But it turned out to be 100% worth it. It made my IC-based overdrive pedals sound like toys.

coltonius

Señor Member
Silver Supporting Member
I like my Menatone Fish Factory with my Princeton. It’s actually the amp that makes the most sense with the blue collar side, since it can be a bit dark. The red snapper just sounds good with everything.
+1 to this. I have a vertical Fish Factory from late 2019/early 2020, and the BC seems less dark than previous iterations. In any case, it’s a perfect pairing for the Princeton Reverb!

slowburn

Fd1
fd2 mosfet
fd2 pre-mosfet
ocd 1.7
ts808
ts mini
eternity
zendrive
BD2 keeley
double barrel
morning glory v3 / v4
snouse blackbox
timmy
amp11
Tumnus
suhr eclipse

all worked great with single coils and humbuckers into my 68custom PR. So sell the 65 reissue, buy the 68 and you will feel better.

my faves with that amp were any of the fulltones and this ts808 (sorry not sorry).

Demioblue

Sorry i know this seems to have been done to death but ive just picked up my first princeton after trying the helix for the last year.
So im back looking for an overdrive or two. Ive just sent back my first attempt, the gladio sc which wasnt great with the princeton. I did have it with my last amp the imperial mkii and it was fine.
Im looking at maybe the centura maybe as an always on pedal as i did with the imperial. Seems to add a sparkle but again will it work with princeton.
I have noticed the neck and middle pick up position together is pretty muddy without any effects which i was surprised at being a fender amp.
Im also looking at the gravity by nordvang instead of the centura if i go that route and the snouse black box and maybe the soloist.
So blues breaker, klon and tubescreamer types.
Any thoughts? A better speaker maybe in the future if that would improve effects.
I use a 65 PRRI. I have never found any issues with any ODs. I've never tried that Gladio, but a friend of mine who also owns a Princeton has, and didn't like it. Maybe that's a thing.

dcburn

Silver Supporting Member
I'm starting to think that I am missing something by not owning a Princeton?
Seems to be the most popular tube amp on the planet!

dcburn

Silver Supporting Member
I just received a Snouse Blackbox Pro Stage 2.Great pedal.
It can take a clean amp and make it a gain monster. Same with edge of breakup.
Many, many levels of overdriven tones.
Also has a clean boost setting.
Pedal just sounds great!

Seems like this pedal is a win for an amp such as this...

Overdriver18

I play single coils into a 65 PRRI, had very good results with the Silver Bee, Mad Professor Sweet Honey, Rat Clones, Prince of Tone/King of Tone, Hermida Tiki Drive. Before spending money though I'd also recommend testing different pickup heights if you're having issues with neck+middle.

Stratsmyboy

Treble on 4? Dark settings. I had treble on 9 for years and now it's 6.5
I did have it higher originally but brought it down as id brought the bass down. I'll have a play aroind with the settings again but the neck did seem bright enough and the bridge nearly blew my head off....

Im def looking at the blues breaker of some sort and either a klone and a tube screamer of some sort to start with. So im torn between a duellist if i can pick up a new 22 version, a nordvang gravity as theres a used one if i can get it for the price and a snouse although no stock anywhere at mo and i also want a low gain marshall jtm/plexi pedal

Stratsmyboy

What sort of tone are you after?
I suppose a pushed fender clean tone as well as a bluesy pushed strat sound. Im into landaus bluesier sound like burning water and raging honkee sounds, john mayers bluesier sounds and a strat into a bright low gain marshall sounds like hendrix

Stratsmyboy

Just looking at the gold speaker, online shop says 10" and 15 ohms but according to amp specs onling its 8 ohms. Is it the 15 ohms i get?

Muddy100

I have a Princeton '65RI...although I only have HB guitars.
My preferred OD on the Princeton is a modest Tubescreamer Mini with the overdrive set at it's lowest setting. Granted, a single coil will require a bit more, but it works very well for the tone I like YMMV.
If you want some options, go for the JHS Bonsai. You'd be covered.

Stratsmyboy

Just picked up a used nordvang gravity pedal for a decent price so im hoping that will be a good match. Any thoughts?

Stratsmyboy

Im also thinking about popping the gold speaker in after the comments but will it really ame a difference for the better with pedals?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom