Another Driskill Pleked!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by robbph37, Jan 8, 2008.

1. robbph37

robbph37 Member

Just letting those who are interested know that I had my other Driskill Pleked and I could not be happier. The guitar feels much more balanced and even. This one had a few more fret issues than my last one so it is a noticable difference. Joe Glaser also did some work on the nut and bridge setup. He is a killer guitar tech. It was cool to see so many guys checking the guitar out while it was there. Joe stated that Marty Stuart stopped buy and loved the guitar. He liked the top and fretboard inlays. Being in Nashville Joe gets alot of musicians who make their living playing music stop by. I know some on this site dont like a macine doing their frets but I cant say enough good things about both guitars and the results. If you have any fret issues that are hurting your guitar you really should check it out. I dont know how many Plek machines are available but the last qoute I heard was 6 in the US.

2. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Um .. shouldn't a guitar for that price and wait time be close to perfect and not need a PLEK job? What do you mean by "a few more fret issues than my last one?" This could prove interesting :)

3. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

I just sent one of my Les Pauls down to Fret Tek in Los Angeles to get Plek't. I had a VOS that was plek't and it was perfect and better than any "hand" fret level I've ever had?? But...I do know there are guys that do outstanding fret work but...I've never met them???? lol!! ;)

4. robbph37

robbph37 Member

Ok before we go down a dark road I did not mean anything negative about the fret comment. I can see how it came across so Sorry for the poor choice of words. Regardless of public opinion about Driskills I stand firm on the fact that the 2 that I have are the finest guitars that I have ever owned. Period. I liked my Mcnaught, Huber and so many others that I have lost track but I would not trade the two Drsikills I have. Lord willing I will not have to. Many guitars have fret issues. They may be small or large but they are there. They must or guys like Joe would not spend $150,000 on a Plek machine just for giggles. Some players honestly do not notice because of their style of playing. I like my action very low so if the frets are not close to being perfectly leveled ( Kinda like a Plek Machine) I run into problems and dead spots at different places on the neck when I bend strings. This post was intended to help others who may have issues with their frets. Until I discovered this page I did not know about a Plek machine and its purpose. I play but I am not as knowledgeable about tech issues as most of you. It has taken me over a year to zero in on the tone that I have been searching for. I honestly did not realize the big difference in tube sound and solid state. When I look back on some of the amps that I played out with it is funny. I would not dream of using them now. If you knew what amp I have now as I wait for my Eganter M4 you would be surprised that I did not know better. If you play an average amp long enough it will sound fine until you hear something better. I hope the top part explains my poor choice of words. Sorry to all again.

5. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

What amp are you using now? [​IMG]

6. robbph37

robbph37 Member

Ok a Rocktron Prophesy. Even with a VHT 2502 I could not get a warm sound out of it. It has alot of gain and the solos had a decent sound but my rhythum sounds were sterile no matter what I tried. I loved it when I got it but again it has taken me awhile to become better educated as to the sound that I wanted.

7. robbph37

robbph37 Member

Oh Kurt I could not have said it better. The last time I shared my Plek experience I got alot of " Well my guy does it by hand and it is as good as a machine. " I have a hard time believing that. Can someone do a good job by hand? Sure but I dont believe for a second that it will be as good or better than the machine 9 times out of 10. The machine has accuracy that a human has a hard time matching. We often build machines to do things that we cant or do not want to do.

8. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Does your Driskill have stainless steel frets? Just wondering if Joe would Plek a SS-equipped guitar given how the harder metal can chew up tools.

9. robbph37

robbph37 Member

Yep SS frets. There was an upcharge but
    I understood why.

10. crosse79

crosse79 Member

OK - no worries - I was just wondering that's all. You're blessed to have so many fine guitars... I can only wish..sigh!

11. David Collins

David Collins Member

I know you have a hard time believing that it can be done by hand as good or better than with a Plek. Strangely, the people who won't have a hard time believing it are those who work in high precision machining. Talk to someone who levels laboratory surface plates to 25 millionths of an inch, and you're more likely to get a response like "well duh, of course." In that trade, an quarter million dollar CNC machine will be considered suitable to shape and prepare a bearing plate for final hand truing. I know because I worked and learned in those trades.

Certainly not everyone can do it. If you're talking to someone who hits frets with a file, then crowns and polishes them then no, their results probably are not as good as a machine. There are much more precision ways to do this. I'm actually going to start teaching an advanced class for builders on fine fret dressing techniques because I've been getting a lot of requests. Over the last two weeks I've had three builders (building in the $4-$6k range) send four of their new guitars in to me for fret work, and they've all been asking for classes. It's a difficult thing to teach in a weekend, but can at least be outlined in that time for troubleshooting and practice.

I would love to get a Plek machine to save time, but of course can't justify the space or expense. In any case, I would still charge premium for dressing by hand.

My main advice, trust the operator, not the tools. Just like hand tools, I've seen great work from Pleks, and horrible work from Pleks. If you really want to have your instrument Pleked, Send it to someone like Joe or Phil. Their work is excellent - I'm sure other shops may do great work with it as well, but those are two that I can personally attest to.

12. robbph37

robbph37 Member

David,
    Great info. Yes I was refering to the folks who know a guy that does it by hand with a file that claims it is just as good as the Plek machine. All I can speak to is my experience with 2 guitars. Both have been great.

13. ScottR

ScottR Member

Plek Jobs are alot like Dumble Amps, unless you have one, then commenting about it is like pissing in the wind. I love Plek personally My LEs Paul never felt so good

14. David Collins

David Collins Member

I know I always jump in when Plek's superiority over hand dressing comes up, but I should clarify. I agree with you Rob, in that a good Plek job is better than the vast majority of hand fret dresses, just being leveled with a file and then crowned. There are a lot of other tools and techniques involved if you want impeccable precision by hand, and quite frankly most folks don't do it. So I will have to admit that a good Plek job is better than the vast majority of conventional fret dresses - I just have to draw a line of separation between the conventional grind and polish and the more precise methods and tooling I prefer.

And Scott, that's exactly what customers say about my deluxe fret dress/setups. :D

Really though, the point I emphasize (which I think is pretty accepted by most) is to trust the technician as much or more than the tools. Even with the tool automated with excellent precision, it requires a good knowledgeable operator to inspect, evaluate, setup, and double check the work of the machine. I don't know that I've seen any of the work from Fret Tek in LA, but I've heard good things about them. I know Joe Glaser and Phil Jacoby know how to set that machine up and can get impeccable results. I've seen some fret work from some factories that use a Plek however, and found them to be terrible. The tech can make it great, or totally nullify the precision that the machine has to offer.

So no, I don't hate Pleks. Like I said, I would love to have one because a precision fret dress by hand takes a whole lot of time, but I'm quite confident in the precision. So Plek or hand, take your instrument to someone you trust.

15. morlll

morlll Supporting Member

I agree with most everything you said except that type of equipment de-skills the job, as well as making it much more repeatable.

The techician has to know how to keep the equipment set up running correctly. If they don't the can't run it correctly. You'll get junk out also if the person running can't check a guitar correctly.

This stuff should be used or the guy in charge of Q.C. should be able to do it by hand. At the very least Q.C. should check the measurements before it leaves. If you are seeing junk coming out of a Plek I'd bet it is operator error or lack of training. Not the equipment.

16. robbph37

robbph37 Member

I cant believe a shop would spend that kind of money on a Plek machine and neglect the training. I am sure it happens but what are those folks thinking. Why bother making that type of investment. David I honestly did not know that anyone took the time to do a great fret job by hand anymore. It seems as though it would be very time consuming. But hey looking at your loan statement on $150,000 each month is not a good feeling unless you stayed booked solid. I could open up another Dominos shop for that kind of cash.