Another durn overdrive suggestion thread - sorry in advance...

TravisE

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a few great ODs but they're not really doing it for me. Not exactly, anyway.

I'm using a Clark 5E3, a '65 SG Special, and a Rice tele. The current overdrives are a Tortenmann TA-100 (used with the SG mostly) and a Rimrock Mythical OD (used mainly with the tele).

I suppose my issues with these are that I even NEED two separate ODs depending on guitar. Both pedals have a ton of their own character and I don't really care for either pedal with the opposite guitar.

The MO is sometimes too thick, which obviously a Klone is expected to have that extra low-mid but with a 5E3, there are already a lot of mids present.

The TA-100 is a germanium OD...which sounds AMAZING but I think for a lot of things has too much squish. Again, going back to the amp, a 5E3 isn't lacking in its own squishiness so I tend to lose definition and punch.

I play mostly an Americana/Alt Country kinda thing and mostly need lower gain...though I tend to hit the pedals and amp with an EP Booster and I also have FF and Muff fuzz varieties. I don't run the Deluxe like you'd typically use a deluxe, I guess. I don't just dime it. I've got a really efficient speaker, jump the channels, and run each side on approx 3 (9:00). We're dynamic but not terribly loud. This gives a nice barely broken up sound but I generally don't play it without an OD unless I'm playing steel...which I also use the same rig for.

Fulldrive-1

Not sure what the issue(s) are here. IF you play two different guitars that need two different OD pedals to sound good, then you need two different ODs.

I don't know what your existing OD pedals sound like (sound like rare booteek stuff) but try something simple like FD2, 808 or Boss SD-1. Maybe a Rat just barely on for an edgier, tighter OD if that's what you need.

Just try out different stuff.

Rumors of War

Durham Sex Drive would be an excellent choice as a booster for a 5e3; added top end sparkle and what-not.

I think the Kingsley stuff absolutely can't be beat. The Page would be a good starting point.

urQuill

g.f.a.
Silver Supporting Member
I took my 5E3 and my humbucker-loaded guitar to a shop and spent an afternoon trying every OD pedal they had. This was years ago, had never heard of this place, nor had I even dreamed of buying anything over the internet, that was just crazy. If getting to such a place is an option for you, do it! It's a fun day, believe me. At that time, if you are interested, a Timmy worked best for me. Kept it for many years.

For those guitars, something by Barber Electronics with a good midrange control (like the GCX that is due out soon) might be great - roll up the mids for the Tele and down for the other guitar.

Another thing to consider - this came up in another thread recently, sort of - is to have the amp lightly modified with a switchable negative feedback loop. Switch the loop in for more headroom with the SG and the steel, and switch it out for the Tele, maybe. Might do just what you are looking for.

DaveKS

TS (I use a VFE Pale Horse)>Kingsley Page. Just a superb open driving OD. Between those 2 pedal+amp you have all kinds of stacking options.

I'd also like to try that new Kingsley Maiden pedal.

I wonder about a Rangemaster type treble booster with that. 5e3 amps can be very muddy and farty almost to a dealbreaker extent for me, unless avoiding low notes and chords entirely. The treble booster circuit will counter that. It will bypass low mids and bass, and yet still boost. Some of them now also have onboard distortion too, and other options.

TravisE

Silver Supporting Member
I've had several treble boosters. I don't think that'd be the ticket for me for a main OD

71strat

Roger Mayer Voodoo Blues.

It will work with both guitars. HBs/SCs. They also aren't picky about the amp.

This is Roger Mayers Version of a Rat, but is way more versatile.

Roger Mayer Voodoo Boost is Mayers version of the TS, but doesn't have mid hump, or skinny lows.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom