Another Eastman

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by runningman, Jun 13, 2019.

1. runningman

runningman Member

Just scored an E8D off Craigslist. What a fantastic guitar. Loud and bold, but still responsive to fingerstyle.

Somehow I now own five Chinese guitars. Two Eastmans, two Recording Kings and a Yamaha. All are solid wood except the Yamaha, which has laminate back and sides, and other than the E8D which was $500, they all cost less than $200.

It seems insane that I have five very nice guitars for well under $1500 but there it is. I think this is the golden age of inexpensive guitars.

[​IMG]

Telechamp, RussB, Fret-O'File and 2 others like this.
  2. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

Now you need a Blueridge!
    ( I own an all solid 000-28 style one, it is a very Birthday gift from good friends)

3. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

They're very tempting, but when I think about why they are so inexpensive, I can't seem to get myself to buy one.

4. The dman

The dman Member

We carry Eatmans in our store and I always try to have a few 8 series in stock. Incredible guitars and the E8OM is just as good

Fret-O'File likes this.
  5. runningman

runningman Member

well, part of the reason the ones I own were so cheap is that I bought them used. And I think I got phenomenal deals on all of them. So there's that.

I also think that Eastman occupies a category which is distinct from the majority of Asian imports. Their history is unique, and AFAIK, they are actually hand-made. They use really high-quality wood, and nitro finishes on the better models.

I think if push came to shove, I'd might take a nice Gibson or Martin over the Eastmans, but definitely not Taylor. I've owned probably a dozen different Taylors over the years, and I'd take my Eastmans over any of the Taylors irrespective of price.

Eastmans aren't just good guitars for the money. They are good guitars period.

Scary Uncle G., Teleman and RussB like this.
  6. runningman

runningman Member

yeah, it's interesting how they designate their models. I don't think an E20D is necessarily a better guitar than an E8D. The only difference is the Adirondack top, which is a more expensive wood, but not necessarily superior IMHO.

7. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

I’m a Martin player myself but one of my old friends in Santa Fe owns probably 6 Eastmans and I’ve played them all. Wonderful guitars for the $$, and remarkably Martin like in their tones:) Are some of the models copies of D-18’s ect? It seems so

8. runningman

runningman Member

I think any dreadnaught on the market is a Martin copy to one degree or another. I find the Eastmans a bit less boomy in the lows and a touch more sparkly in the highs.

Overall Martin's fit and finish is going to be tighter, but not by much.

9. The dman

The dman Member

I agree the 8's are every bit as good as the 20 series. Absolutely nothing wrong with Sitka tops

The E10D is Eastman's Martin D18 ish guitar. One difference is the E10D has an Adirondack spruce top

10. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Nice!

11. Lminor222

Lminor222 Member

That is a nice looking guitar. Nice score. I've been hearing a lot about Eastman guitars lately. Can't wait to try one out.

Rod likes this.
  12. jklotz

jklotz Member

I keep reading these Martin/Eastman comparisons. To my ear, Eastman has it's own thing going on. There may be a hint of "Martin" hidden in the tone, but I think they are their own thing.

13. runningman

runningman Member

definitely agree. as I said, I think any guitar based on a Martin shape has some of that DNA in there. so, for example, rosewood Dreads are all going to have certain things in common even if the bracing or construction isn't identical.

to my ears the Eastman is more balanced and is easier to record because the bass isn't as pronounced.

14. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

Congratulations. Your approach is very different from mine. Since I can only play one guitar at a time, I gravitate towards holding a minimum number of the best instruments I can acquire. Thus, I have a '96 Collings - phenomenal modern build -- and a '36 Gibson, with outstanding ton e and volume due to its age. These two exceed my musical capacity as it is, so I have no need of more or other, regardless of the deal. I think Eastmans are excellent, and not just in terms of value for money, but honestly I find my two to be even more inspiring and fantastic sounding than even an excellent Eastman.

15. Fret-O'File

Fret-O'File Supporting Member

An Eastman E8D brand new isn't exactly inexpensive. Maybe compared to a similar Martin or Taylor they are but still they run about a grand new. Eastman has several factory tour videos to give you an idea of the working conditions for their luthiers if that's what you are worried about.

16. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Yes, Eastman is only inexpensive in comparison to instruments of similar quality made in the west. I've seen the factory tour videos. Although the working conditions look fine, I'm not sure how much things are being dressed up for the tours. Also, I doubt that the workers are paid well. For the guitars to be so much less expensive, they've gotta be saving money somewhere, and I suspect that most of it is labor cost. For me, there are also other considerations which are not to be discussed here.

17. Fret-O'File

Fair enough!

18. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

I love my Eastman OO. I didn't know I wanted a new acoustic until I played an Eastman. I was somewhat satisfied with a low end Martin, but just happened to try an E20OM, and compared it against some modern Taylor OM's, as well as some turn of the century guitars, and the Eastman was more fun to play. I've played some older Gibson's, and that's the closest comparison for me.

19. Fret-O'File

Which Eastman did you get?

20. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

Sorry I wasn't clear. I tried an E20OM in person, which was super nice. I wound up getting a nice deal on the emporium for an E10OO in sunburst. I prefer the smaller body size, and happily take the trade off of a little low end flabbiness when strumming.