another eternity question - landgraff?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by burningwater, Mar 12, 2006.

1. burningwater

burningwater Member

Is the eternity considered to be in the 808 derivative category? Ive heard the landgraff is and Id like to depart a bit from there - especially in the compression department. Anyone have both? Does the eternity have less compression than the landgraff? Ive got a hotcake on my board which is the best 808 type pedal Ive found. Thanks

PS sorry if you see the same post at toyz, I put it up there first by mistake

2. jpagey

jpagey Member

no.
    yes.
    yes.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=119065&highlight=eternity
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=118071&highlight=eternity
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=127586&highlight=eternity
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=124616&highlight=eternity
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=130680&highlight=eternity
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=129034&highlight=eternity
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=131194&highlight=eternity

3. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

The Eternity is an OD... so is an 808. They both utilize OP amp chips. An uniformed listener may... may think they sound similar. But they are very different. Different type of circuit. The Eternity is more refined, less compressed (althought it has some compression) and it works better with other dirt pedals than any TS or 808 variant I've played. Also it has a treble boost in the circuit, the 808 has a passive tone control (as far as I understand). Also, the Eternity is fuller sounding than most 808 variants.

Sorry, I've never played through a Landgraff.

4. radcliff

radcliff Member

I never wear a uniform when i play

5. drolling

drolling Member

Well, I've got an MJM BluesDevil, widely considered to be the best 808 clone around, and it's NOTHING like an Eternity. Haven't tried a Landy, but the E's one of the most versatile, flexible stomps I've used - from an open, articulate treble boost, to full-bore distortion.. the interaction between the tone & clip controls lets me dial in musical sounds regardless of the amp/guitar I'm using. Really outstanding..

I understand that John includes a tone kit w/his Dynamic Overdrive so you can fine tune your pedal. That sounds like a really cool idea. The Eternity's a very simple circuit w/one socketed op-amp. When I got mine, Sean included an additional chip that COMPLETELY changed the way the pedal responded to my playing. If you do a search here, you'll find references to at least a half dozen other op-amps that will have an equally dramatic affect on the sound. Lots of fun...

6. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Go back to phishhook! ;)

7. lv

lv Supporting Member

I've owned both and a/b'd them. With the gain set all the way up, the eternity has as much compression as the Landgraff, though not as much gain or sustain. I find them both to feel similar depending on where the gain is set. Both very good in thsi regard. The biggest difference is the tone, the E sounds a bit more aggressive and more transistor like, though still a very good tone. If you are trying to get away from the Landgraff tone, I don't think the Eternity is the right pedal for you.

8. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

I've had both . .still have the Landy. I agree with what aaron and lou said in general. The Landgraff feels like it has a lot more gain to me, the Eternity never seemed to get more cranked past noon on the gain pot. If I was going to play light blues with a Strat exclusivley, I'd probably pick the Eternity, for anything ales I'd say the Landy would be more versitile. Both among the best pedals I've experienced.

9. burningwater

burningwater Member

Thanks guys, sounds like both these pedals are quite a departure from the 808 - landgraff being much higher gain and you can cut the compression with the toggle, and the eternity sounds to be thicker, smoother and has treble boost at the high end of the tone knob. Geezzz, guess Ill have to get em both. any other impressions?

10. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

Though the Landy is a "departure" from a TS . . . .. it can still do the mid-hump thing . .it's just a bit more clear if that makes sense.

11. blueprint

blueprint Member

I have both.
    The Eternity is more compressed, more amp like, has less gain.
    The Landgraff is actually three pedals in one with it's switch selector. One position is close to a regular TS with more gain. The two others are very dynamic (much more than the Eternity), hence the name.
    If you want something with a lot of dynamics, I mean with a big tonal difference when you pick softly or hardly, choose the Landgraff. Gain-wise, it's close to the distortion territory at some settings. The Eternity blends more to your amp ( with mine at least! ) and remain an overdrive even at high settings.
    The landgraff needs a very dynamic tube amp to shine. As an example, it's impressive in my Matchless, but very ordinary in my Classic 30 while the Eternity is very good in both...

You can't go wrong with either of those pedals.
    No offence, but these pedals are not for beginers. Especially the Landgraff: if you do not play with dynamics, it's useless and that's why so many people say that it has nothing spectacular.

To summarize: tought choice! :)

12. radcliff

radcliff Member

if only phook was what it once was....bah....gear whoring is funner anyway

13. Cobra

Cobra Supporting Member

This is the best description I've read to date on what really makes the Landy different, & a most useful post on deciding if a Landy is right for you. There are many pedals that are amplike & dynamic, & we all prolly think we use dynamics tastefully when we play, but the truth is that not everyone can take advantage of a dynamic & amplike pedal.