Another evh wolfgang question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by monty, Mar 28, 2015.

1. monty

monty Member

For anyone who has a newer Fender EVH Wolfgang- This is my first Floyd so I don't want to mess it up. I want to lower the action a bit, manual says just lower the bridge posts but reading online I'm getting other conflicting info. Is it as easy as just screwing in the posts a bit? Thanks.

2. mixn4him

mixn4him Supporting Member

Yes its the only way to lower a Floyd BUT do not do it under string tension you can ruin the knife edge. Loosen the strings a good bit then lower the bridge posts...

3. monty

monty Member

Thanks, good tip about the string tension.
    I did it but ran into another problem, lowering it doesn't allow room for the D-tuna to pull out so looks like I may be stuck unless I get into shims.

4. monty

monty Member

Bump for more experienced opinions.

5. RCM78

RCM78 Member

Theres no need for shims... Something else is wrong.
    You may need to adjust your truss rod. If theres too much relief in the neck the action will raise up. There no way you should have to slam that bridge down so far that the d-Tuna hits the body.

I have D-Tuna's on three guitars, two of them are fully recessed Floyd's and I still have no issue switching from Standard to Drop D tuning...

6. monty

monty Member

You are correct, ends up the low e fine tuner wasn't letting the Dtuna all the way in so it was sticking out. Really wish these things came with a manual.
    I think I'm just going to bring it to the shop for a setup. I was hoping to do it myself so I can learn more about how the bridge works but I don't want to mess things up and want to enjoy the axe for now. I'll learn more as I do string changes, lol.
    Thanks for the advice.

7. ixnay

ixnay Member

8. monty

monty Member

Thanks, read that like 3 times and just caught the part about the fine tuner. I need some patience!

9. mikeymoves

mikeymoves Member

Hmmm, maybe THIS is part of my problem. Just got a Peavey Wolfgang and I can't pull the D-Tuna out without diving the bridge because it's hitting the body...Time to let a pro set this up!