Another first time buyer thread. . .

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by geoangus, May 31, 2015.

1. geoangus

geoangus Member

I'm another one of those long time electric players looking for an acoustic, or in my case, acoustic electric. I kind of have narrowed down my search, but have a question.

This will be used to complement my electric in a rock cover band. But I also intend to use it for informal "campfire" stuff too.

I'm budgeting around $1500-1650, eyeballing a Taylor 414CE. So the question, would you guys bring out such a guitar for the campfire?

2. jerryfan6

jerryfan6 Silver Supporting Member

Real easy-playing neck. Will be an easy transition from electric. But a campfire guitar, it is not.

3. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

I would look at a GS Mini or 100-series (114ce etc.), but I wouldn't take a solid body acoustic near a campfire.

4. geoangus

geoangus Member

Yeah, had that hunch. I don't want to sacrifice on the primary need. So the GS would be a more for around the campfire?

And one other question regarding woods - I have my eye on a 414CE with a cedar top, as opposed to spruce. From what I've read, cedar projects better at lower volumes, which sounds great for home practice. But if I start hitting the strings harder in a band setting, how does the tone holdup? I'm worried that it might start to breakup too much.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  5. jerryfan6

jerryfan6 Silver Supporting Member

Yes. Buy a used Yamaha FS720S. Killer tone in a small, cheap package.

6. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

I wouldn't worry about the cedar top since you will be playing amplified--I have two Taylors with cedar tops that do fine. If you grab the Taylor I would suggest getting something like a Yamaha FG700S for the campfire stuff...

7. s2y

s2y Member

I play a 12 fret. I think the 14 shape can be a good all around acoustic if you ditch the cutaway. I can't say I've been impressed with the tone of Taylors with cutaways that I have played, which isn't every single shape/wood combo on the planet.

8. Jon@Home

Jon@Home Member

9. terrapin

terrapin Member

This comment may not be real popular here, but.... I would decide if you want a traditional sounding acoustic such as a Martin or Larrivee or Gibson or do you like more modern voiced acoustics like Taylor. Taylor makes fine guitars, but to my ears they are voiced very modern and that is not my cup of tea. Add the Taylor Expression system and IMO they become very modern sounding which to me is a bit thin and quacky. To me Breedlove falls in the same vein of "modern" sounding guitars. The best sounding Taylor I ever heard was a Cedar topped GC. It was much more warm and woody sounding...just my 2 cents...

10. geoangus

geoangus Member

OP here. I understand the modem vs traditional argument. I'm thinking modern voicing is a better choice for my situation, rock covers in a 4 piece band. FWIW, I've also considered a piezo electric.

11. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Buy used. Should be able to score a Taylor 400 series for around $1000 that might not be as pristine as a new guitar.
    I gave $900 for my 2006 410e because it was worn a little at the sound hole. I spent $80 on a partial refret. It is a great workhorse and I am not shy about gigging it hard.
    The 414 is the most desirable shape, so it might be tougher to find a steal of a deal on one.

Another option is Guild GAD. I had a jumbo version and it was as loud as I ever wanted and articulate for intimate stuff. Bought it new for $700 and spend $200 on a Fishman pickup and Plek setup. Prices have increased I believe.

Breedlove Atlas is also a great stage guitar with comfortable ergonomics for an electric player at a competitive price point. I gigged an Atlas studio c250. Found one with Engleman spruce top and Ovagnol b/s for $700.

This pic is why my 410 was "cheap"
    [​IMG]

12. AcousticDude

AcousticDude Member

Ditto on the used 410CE. I got a 2002 model in 2007 for $1,000 and it is a workhorse. The big sound holds its own in a band setting. It's probably too nice for a campfire guitar, but with the money you save, you can pick up a nice beater. Another idea for the campfire is a Yamaha silent guitar and a portable street amp.