Another first world rant

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by BluesForDan, Apr 19, 2016.

1. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

Automated menus in lieu of actually speaking to a live human. WTF is it with american companies who make it impossible to get anything done via phone? Not every issue can be resolved by pressing 1 or by going online. Trying to peel the robot onion and drill down through the menu to get to a live human who just might be capable enough to actually perform the action you require has become a sisyphusian endeavor of late.

"I'm sorry, I didn't get that? Did you select 'instant death' or 'slow and agonizing'?

bender, shane8 and gigs like this.
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

When I get the menus, and I want to speak to a person, I just repeatedly press zero, until it faults out & connects me to a person.

KbD

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I hate that too, but I would assume that most calls can be handled automatically. As Killed said, just keep hitting 0 and you'll usually get a person.

cratz2 likes this.
  4. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

heh, I know that trick, too. Didn't work with the company I called. I had to choose completely irrelevant choices and kept drilling until I finally got a human, and then make the request I wanted.

5. headpond

headpond Member

Robot onion kind of has a nice ring to it.

bender, shane8 and Tom CT like this.
  6. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

7. Slackerprince

Slackerprince Member

Yeah, I have a few things that I've been wanting to take care of with Verizon, but, I'm not willing to climb the mountain.
    You win, Verizon!

S

8. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

:rimshot
    [​IMG]

sanrico and headpond like this.
  9. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

Every call costs money to the company. If they do not talk to the right person, every minute spent with the wrong operator costs the company additional money, hence the menu system.

It costs far less to have this type of menu in place as opposed to a receptionist who'd redirect the call.

Hell, some fast-food places are even replacing minimum wage workers with automated robotic systems. If they could replace every one of us with robots, they would.

Drew68 likes this.
  10. headpond

headpond Member

I'll fly if you buy. Starving.

11. Cal Webway

Cal Webway Member

Winner!!

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  12. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Supporting Member

At a former job, I was involved with the design and setup of such a system. Good ones can be helpful. Unfortunately, there are far too many bad ones out there.

Why? Because consumers won't tolerate prices rising at the same rate as a business' costs & said businesses have to fend off overseas competition that works even cheaper. They are forced to cut costs or charge more. One of the most popular ways to cut cost is to stand one of these systems up as tier 1 contact and setup the customer service departments as tier 2. In theory, people should be able self identify the help they need and get routed to the best place for it, which allows for less reps & more work by each rep since they are specialized. In theory! In practice, its proven to be a huge problem.

13. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

...and you're being recorded....and the menu items have changed. as if it weren't difficult enough as is.

14. DopeyJake

DopeyJake Member

This is what happens when base level workers demand $15/hr.

15. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali Member

I do that. Sometimes I get "Devon" in Mumbai.

There was a list I saw online of dozens of companies and the best method to get REAL LIVE HUMANS on the phone and explanations/maps of how their phone systems work. Don't remember where. But I thought that was probably the most excruciating thing someone could do in personally compiling that list. Above and beyond.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  16. Stev0Griffin

Stev0Griffin Trendsetter

I hate when you have to input account / card / SSN information on the touch pad, then as soon as you're patched to a human, you have to repeat it. WTF DO I HAVE TO GIVE YOU THIS INFORMATION TWICE? JUST F#%* OFF AUTOMATED SYSTEM.

84superchamp likes this.
  17. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Had to Google.

Found correct spelling and definition.

Thanks OP! :)

18. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

i kept getting the red wiggly line without the -ian, but couldn't make an adjective that didn't get treated as an error. I just googled it too. They drop the -us and tack on -ean. Still shows as a spelling error. Granted, it's a 35 cent word in a dime a dozen world. But I love my ancient mythology and use that fairly often IRL.

19. Wrmbrnr

Wrmbrnr Gold Supporting Member

Bellerophon(e) would be the proper mythological hero to tackle the robot onion.

20. Slackerprince

Slackerprince Member

I love it when you brace yourself for the hellish auto system, but get a real person instead.

S