Another Floyd question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by prkaye, Feb 13, 2012.

1. prkaye

prkaye Member

When I push the vibrato bar down on the (non-floating) floyd rose on my Wolfgang special, the tension on the lower strings relaxes much more than on the upper strings. For an extreme dive with the low strings relaxed to totally floppy spaghetti, the high E string still has tension and the pitch has only decreased by about 4 semitones.
    Is this normal? Should I adjust the relative tension between the two springs at the back?

*edit* Just looked at the bridge again, and i noticed that in the normal position (whammy bar not depressed) the high E side of the bridge sits higher on the guitar than the low E side. It appears that the "post" of the bridge on the high E side is screwed in further, so the bridge is sitting lower on that side. This probably accoutns for there being less release on that side when I dive. Is this a proper setup? Are these post heights adjustable?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  2. _pete_

_pete_ Supporting Member

It's perfectly normal.

3. jimshine

jimshine Member

The posts are totally adjustable. But think about this. The lower strings have less tension on them. So they will go floppy quicker because they start with less tension in the first place.

4. mikey

mikey Member

The intonation position of the saddles has an effect on this as well.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

you'll notice it's not just "lower vs. higher" strings.

your G and low E will go limp and floppy while your D and high E still have some tension.

it's entirely the different stretching "rates" of the different strings.

the only way to "fix" it is to hunt down a steinberger trans-trem guitar, which used very tricky mechanics to allow all 6 strings to de-tune by the same amount, so a chord stayed a chord even as the pitch dropped.

6. prkaye

prkaye Member

Ok thanks guys.
    So why would the bridge be set up so that it sits higher on the posts on the low E side? The strings seem to be at about the same hieght off the fingerboard, and presumeably the neck is level laterally with the body, so why would the bridge be tilted side-to-side like this? Is this a typical setup with this type of guitar? This is how it came from Sweetwater (and presumeably from the factory).
    Pic illustrates:

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  7. RCM78

RCM78 Member

The bridge sits higher on the bass side because those strings vibrate in a wider elipse then the G,B,& E strings. Therefore higher action is needed on that side.

8. prkaye

prkaye Member

Ah, makes sense. Thanks!
    Buying a new guitar and asking questions here has been a great learning experience!