Another Fuzz Face Question (Humbuckers)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by phil esposito, Jan 28, 2012.

1. phil esposito

phil esposito Member

I'm looking for a Fuzzface....but I play Les Paul....and I want to spend about $100 for a used one....

I've used the search function but I still need some help.

Is the Dunlop Hendrix my best bet here?

2. Dale

Dale Member

I am interested to hear this one as well.

3. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

Bonamassa one is specifically voiced for JB's Les Pauls.

Also, consider a Tonebender.

4. phil esposito

phil esposito Member

I'm really keen on a Fuzzface....I've done the Tonebender journey and it's not for me.

5. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

I've struggled with fuzz faces and humbuckers of my Les Paul. I've tried a handful: MJM London I, MJM London II, MXR Classic 108, Deep Trip BOG, Fulltone '70, and a BC108 clone. The only one I have right now if the Fulltone '70. But that just got kicked off the board for a Skreddy Screwdriver.

Basically, I get frustrated with fuzz faces sometimes...some days they work better than others for me. I don't like how the only good tones I get from it are when the fuzz knob is cranked or near full...because they don't seem to react that great with humbuckers when I tweak my volume knob...compared to how I see/hear single coil clips w/fuzz faces work.

6. SixStringInMyHand

SixStringInMyHand Member

The Screwdriver is pretty good, the pre-gain mosfet is designed to make the circuit react more like you are using singles.

7. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

I have many Fuzz faces and play almost exclusively humbuckers. I have no problems with any of them.

If you want clean-up with humbuckers and a Fuzz Face, it's not going to happen. At least not like with single coils. You will get a cleaner, OD type sound, but not glassy clean.

But I, unlike the poster above, me likes to cranks the Fuzz knob.

Honestly, I never understood the whole "It cleans up with the volume knob!" excitement people get. You want clean? Turn the pedal off. Then you get pristine cleans. IDK, like I said when I want clean, I want clean. Not clean-ish. When I want fuzz, I want FUZZ. When I want a slight break-up, I use a boost, an OD or maybe then roll my volume back some. But I digress...

But as for good Fuzz Faces that work with humbuckers, these are my favorites:

FoxRox Hot Silicon- My all time favorite Fuzz.

MXR Classic 108 Fuzz- Same as the blue Dunlop Hendrix fuzz but with the option of a switchable booster which comes in handy. A really good fuzz for like $120 new.

Fulltone 70's BC-108C (Small Box)- Again, a great fuzz. The Mids knob really helps with humbuckers and especially playing into a clean Fender amp. I generally like less Mids over all, but as we all know, sometimes a fuzz with too little Mids can get lost in the mix. This helps.

Analogman TI/UK Sunface- I generally do not like germanium Fuzz Faces (there are a few I like but many do not cut it for me) but this one is insane. The TI/UK transistors have like the best of both world- a nice high gain and brighter tone like silicon, but a better clean-up and tonal character like most germanium (but again, a little brighter). These work really well with humbuckers. You can actually get pretty close to glass y clean-up with these and humbuckers, even with the Fuzz set pretty high (not maxed, obviously). A good choice. But get the Sundial knob.

8. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

The 70 is a popular pedal, I had one for a day and it was nice. The mid knob helps, but I was hoping it would be more like a TS hump and it wasn't. I have used the Lunar Module with a handful of pups and it worked great, but I agree with the above, singles will always clean up better and that I tend to crank the fuzz knob, but I disagree about not needing to clean it up - I don't look for pristine clean when I have a fuzz on, but rather a range of distortion that I can control with my volume knob. I didn't personally find the SD to work better or worse with buckers than the LM did though.

9. elcidd

elcidd Member

The JB Fuzzface sounds excellent with humbuckers. Absolutely great pedal IMO.

10. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I liked the Fulltone '70 a lot with humbuckers. For really good volume knob clean up, I found that lowering my pickups a bit helped. It also really helps if you back off the fuzz knob by a notch or so, this way it still sounds completely fuzzy, but responds to dynamics better.

11. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

The one fuzz that cleaned up regardless with humbuckers is the PTD Mini Bone. Sparkly clean regardless of where your at on the fuzz.

12. MadFrank

MadFrank Supporting Member

I agree. The PT Mini-Bone is the only fuzz I have ever played that reacts to humbuckers like most fuzz's do to single coils. Something that Paul builds into the circuit makes this an awsome fuzz that just sits with hb and sc really well, without being overpowered. Loads of great fuzz-to-od-sparkly cleans available too, and don't be put off by the 'horn' thing, it can be added or subtracted if you don't need it. Tonally, it's very much in the fuzz face ballpark too, perhaps with a slightly quicker pick attack, but with the girth, gain structure and sag of a good FF.

13. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

if you want true FF tones and you use a crunchin' amp you'll have to dial with some ultra-smoothing of tone (attack on power chords is almost always washed out) and muddy neck pickup, if you are thinking that getting a 2tranny fuzz instead of a 3 one (tonebender) will solve the above let me tell you it is not while if you like a fuzz that way you can go out and pick one there are plenty which are very good, I liked a lot the Analogman Sunface but the best is the Basic Audio Scarab Deluxe (tonebender based but with lots of tweaks) is the best fuzz with humbuckers... unbelievable tone, Ive bought loads of fuzzes and in the end sold 'em all the SD is the only one Im keepin' (along with AM Beano)

14. empty71

empty71 Member

15. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I haven't played a good Fuzz Face yet that I didn't like with Buckers...it just requires a little extra control, FWIW I don't don't use any hot buckers just PAF type stuff but I get on with my FF's just fine.

AS for a $100 Fuzz Face the Dunlop/Hendrix is your best bet by a landslide in that price range.

16. 66Park

66Park Member

This is my experience as well. I have no problem whatsoever with humbuckers and a Fuzz Face. I love the way my Les Paul sounds with my Fulltone '69. I really don't know what used ones are going for, but perhaps you could find one close to your price range. I do find the extra controls on the Fulltone very useful for dialing in the sound I like with humbuckers.

17. tinkercity

:agreeQuicker pick attack is a perfect description.

18. charmboy

charmboy Member

Both the Bonamassa and the Hendrix are great with humbuckers. The JB will have MUCH more cleanup available, but go with the JH if you want more shades of higher gain.

19. tinkercity

FWIW - I've found that humbuckers will not clean up with much of anything without a treble bleed mod of some sort. I can't remember the details of the mod but it essentially allows treble to get pumped in once the volume is rolled down. Without it, not much of anything will clean up.

20. Dale

Dale Member

<sigh> I hate this place in ways. I have a ScrewDriver, Lunar Module, Fuzz Head, Huckleberry (v1), SUF CW, LBM and some others. In reading this thread I listened to several clips of the Fulltone 69 MKII with buckers and now have one on the way. Thankfully there are not many clips of the JB FuzzFace or I would probably have one of those as well!