Another Fuzz inquiry?? No way, not from me

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by buzzp, May 2, 2016.

1. buzzp

buzzp Member

This intro guitar riff has such a great tone (IMO), what style fuzz would nail this?

2. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Fuzzrite-y, but any Fuzz with a bias (and tone control or bass cut) could probably do it. I'd use my SolidgoldFX Agent 13 for this. (Note there's a flanger on there, too.) -E

3. buzzp

buzzp Member

Is that flange or phase? I can't tell on recordings, unless it's really obvious... and this case it's not (to me)

4. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Actually, flanger may be later in the song--that's when I noticed it, and I'm pretty sure it's a flanger. -E

5. buzzp

buzzp Member

Thanks dude, you always give good advice on these pedal questions! Any particular fuzzrite clone that you like?

6. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

:)

The Catalinbread Fuzzrite clone nails this, but that's all it does. Like I said, I use a SolidgoldFX Agent 13 for this (use the bass cut setting, pull the fuzz and bais back). The JHS Pollinator might do this, ditto the EQD Dirt Transmitter. I bet there are a bunch of others, and hopefully other folks will chime in. If you've got any fuzz with a bias control, I'd try that first. -E

PS Listening again, the modulation on the intro is harder to parse; has elements of flange AND phase. Second pass sounds more like a straight flanger.

7. buzzp

buzzp Member

I know Kevin Parker had his hand on a few songs on that album, not sure if he played on this one or not. I'll look into those, the only fuzz I have right now, is a Woolly Mammoth that I'm building.

8. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

.. and, listening again, my Kryptone (a very versatile MKI) could do this, as could my Fix'd Fuzz. Probably any fuzz not a Muff could get you in the ballpark if (ab)used properly. -E

9. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

Ehh that sounds like the standard Kevin Parker DI fuzz sound to me.

buzzp likes this.
  10. buzzp

buzzp Member

I really like the sound of that fuzzrite.... I might have to get one.

Maybe @splatt will chime in, given his mighty fuzz knowledge and experience.

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  11. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

I would recommend the Hudson Broadcast for this.

12. buzzp

buzzp Member

Certainly looks like a cool pedal, will have to check out demos later today.

13. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

def a FuzzRite vibe! it almost sounds doubled w/another instrument --- either the non-fuzz guitar, neck-pickup or an upper-register bass, along w/what sounds like a TC-XIIs tage Phaser, to me, but..... i dunno!
    studios & computers can be tricky beasts.

def could get at that fuzz sound from a few directions, i think: BA Zippy (w/low gain, guitar almost all the way up), a BearFoot Candiru Ge, heck..... maybe even a Tonebender MkI gating (but w/volume & tone rolled-down on bridge pickup of gtr) but w/the gain up a bit on the pedal; could be, anyway!