Another guy needing help choosing a 2x12 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rjd1guitar, Aug 21, 2008.

1. rjd1guitar

rjd1guitar Member

I've searched and read just about everything on here that I can find on 2x12 cabs. My situation is this:

I have a Bogner O/S 2x12 cab with G12H-30's in it. I'm looking for something lighter and more portable for gigging. I will be playing my Shiva EL34 or Marshall 2266 heads through this cab. I'm chasing medium gain AC-DC type rhythm sounds and more liquid-y but in a rounder/vintage way leads. I use a BOR or Klon to boost and have a Murphy R0 LP as my gig axe. So far I've listened to:
    • Reinhardt (too big for the cab I want - almost same size as my Bogner) with an Alnico Blue and Heritage G12H in it) - good sounding cab though - similar to Bogner, but little lower register, smoother
    • THD 2x12 - nice cab, fairly big sounding --- a little overly flat (you might say too balanced or polite) for the Marshall-y thing I'm looking for
    • A Holland cab with 2 Greenbacks in it -- kind of ratty sounding -- cool, but fatiguing and a little two raspy
    • Genz Benz G Flex -- surprisingly very nice cab I wasnt at all familiar with - kind of sat in the middle of the above two - big sounding , not as polite and balanced as the THD but not as in your face as the Holland. Lots of bottom end fullness, but nice piano-like ring to higher end as well
    Others I'm researching:
    • Port City
    • Pure 64
    • Mojave
    • Freda
    • Building an Avatar or a Mojo with possibly the Blue and Heritage G12H speaker mix
    OK guys - what suggestions/insights can anyone offer? Thanks! :)

2. reddgeetarzan

reddgeetarzan Supporting Member

From my experience and for what its worth- you're going to sacrifice more than you'd probably want by going with anything other than the Bogner.....just my 2 cents. I carry around 4x12's when I can cause I'm spoiled by the tone- anything less than what I can get for maximum tone at a gig, and its a loooong night- I obsess about the "lack" of tone cause I know it just doesn't sound as good as it should.....go with the best you can- you'll never regret it.

BUT........if it was me- and I know how hard this stuff gets beat around at gigs, I'd go with an Avatar- load it with a pair of Scumback HP's and you're off to the races.......its cheap enough that you don't care how bad it gets beat. Mojo also makes a cab that is really close to the Bogner, but if you're wanting something lighter, you're going to sacrifice tone.

OH yeah- not sure if the Celestion blue will handle the wattage of that amp- wouldn't want to find out at a gig!

GOOD LUCK!!!

3. Ken

Ken Member

A 1X12 cab is all you will need...

Unless your planning to drown out the Drummer :crazy

4. rjd1guitar

rjd1guitar Member

That depends....is he buying a smaller snare??
    If not, I may just have to! :banana

5. Ken

Ken Member

That Bogner Shiva on top of a Pure 64 1X12 cab and your going to cover lots of tonal territory...And if that's not enough presence for some bigger gigs, pick up another 1x12 cab.

Hint: How long since you re-tubed your Shiva?

I have my eye on a Pure 64 Nitro equipped with EL34's at 30 watts. I need to get together with Mark and check these out :drool

http://www.puresixtyfour.com/nitro.html

6. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

THD with different speakers.

7. WarofGhosts

WarofGhosts Member

Port City OS 2x12. The biggest sounding 2x12 I have ever heard.

8. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Try a Mojave cab. Built like the Bogner but smaller and sounds great.

9. v75swd

v75swd Member

Orange 2-12PPC
    comes loaded w/ V30's

10. steevo124

steevo124 Member

Buy a Two rock 2x12 signature cab and be done with it. Load em up with some celestions and you'll have the best cab out there. Oh, TR has listened to their customers and the carrying handle is mounted on the side and not on top, since this is a vertical cab, it makes carrying much easier Also, its not that heavy,50lbs with speakers.

11. frisco

frisco Supporting Member

Port City Wave 2x12, w/Scumbacks. Huge tone from a very small box. I love mine.

12. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

I had Ben Fargen make me one to my specs, tuned to my amp, for the price of a production model.........something worth considering.

13. BraveUlysses

BraveUlysses Guest

+1000

Love mine, loaded with Celestion Heritage G12-65's, serious thump, balanced frequencies, very resonant, open (not boxy) sounding even at low volume, believe the forum hype on this one.

BTW: I have owned Mojave, Two Rock, Orange, and an Ear Candy Buzzbomb; all are well built and good sounding, but the PC Wave OS slays them all.

14. straticus

straticus Member

Nothing has topped my Top Hat 2x12 closed back cab so far. It's light, relatively small, sounds tight, punchy and big. It's the only thing in this picture that I still own. Really great cabs. :) It is a littler bigger than a THD cab I had for a while. But the Top Hat is in an entirely different league than the THD, IMHO.

[​IMG]
    Oh, wait a minute ............ I still have that same wha.

15. rastaman

rastaman Member

Did you put the G12H30s in it? Didn't it come stock with V30s? Mine did, I put Heritage 65s in it though.. PM me if you want to sell it, I love 2x12s.

16. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Not necessarily. Ive found that every amp I own sounds better thru multiple speakers whether its 2 -1x12's,2x12 4x12 etc. Its not the volume more than the dispersion of sound I guess. Bob

17. rjd1guitar

rjd1guitar Member

Wow, thanks for the replies guys -- keep 'em coming!

rastaman -- yes, I swapped out the orignal V30's for the G12H-30's --- the Shiva had a real honk to it with the V30's that I didnt care for -- these smoothed that out very nicely.

My "master plan" is to keep the Bogner O/S cab to cover that end of the spectrum and add a 2x12 and/or 1x12 to cover the more portable/gig-friendly requirements.