Another is this a real LP thread

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jimivaughnking, Mar 2, 2012.

1. jimivaughnking

jimivaughnking Member

2. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

Looks legit to me. The closeup shot of the board was the clincher. Tough to fake the look of real ebony. Fret edge binding is correct and the guitar's binding is appropriately yellowed after 32 years.

3. b2sc

b2sc Member

That's defintely legit.

I don't understand why every LP now has to be questioned publically.

4. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

Because in Iowa, no one can hear you scream. :rimshot

5. chubbywolf

chubbywolf Member

It boggles my mind that someone who is a real "guitar enthusiast" can't tell that this is a legit Gibson Les Paul. I long for the time when this forum goes back to what it used to be.....people who know what they are talking about....talking about it together.

6. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

Big time yes on this one.

7. Nurk2

Nurk2 "Ignore Everybody" ~Hugh MacLeod

Bad day?

8. Ashe

Ashe Senior Member

yes, its legit. someone did a re-wiring job though

9. chubbywolf

chubbywolf Member

You know....maybe....
    I will admit my response was a bit "strong", but come on, I'm not saying anything that a lot of people on here aren't thinking.

10. serial

serial Member

Not necessarily. This really isn't the post that you'd see in the past as much as you do now on TGP. I've been here since Day One (had to re-enroll years ago) and it seems that people tend to post questions as a matter of course without doing any self-educating whatsoever. It comes across as a bit lazy.

My point is not directed to the OP, but just generally as a noticeable trend (other forums as well), more explaining how I understand the poster above and his point.

11. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Its not a counterfeit, but it IS a 1980 Les Paul...

12. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

Only one thing I question in the seller's ad:
    Also curious that he didn't mention the worn finish in a weird spot on the neck. But it looks like a Gibson to these eyes.

13. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

His statement that the 70's and 80's Les Paul's Flat out have better tone is correct.

When they are compared to a broomstick with a piece of baling wire for a string.

14. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

Fakes have gotten so good, tho, and the price of getting burned so high, that it's no longer about being "a guitar enthusiast", it's about hoping someone can catch something you might not have. Spotting fakes sometimes takes a pretty specialized knowledge that not everyone has, and isn't indicative of someone's level of skill or experience. I have had a few Gibsons in my day (and currently own a pair of LPCs), and I still miss some of the telltale signs.

I think taking a few minutes to get a few "second opinions" from a place you trust when you're looking at spending a few grand makes perfect sense, even if you're 99% sure it's legit.

I don't know why you'd cop an attitude with this. I'd rather see these threads that a corresponding number of "well, looks like I just bought a Chinese fake for $4000" ones. I mean, we're supposed to be a community, right? And communities help each other. They don't slam people asking for help. These threads are a great resource - not only do they help the OP, but I read these threads to learn and get my own eye better.

Honestly, the fakes and scams have made me so paranoid, that I would verify ANY Gibson I was looking at purchasing.

15. zastruga

zastruga Member

Posts are cheap, often our time is not. Why not depend on our internet friends to help us out when we have a question?

16. DCAddy

DCAddy Member

How helpful are the Gibson folks at verifying a guitar by the serial#? I have a 335 with no inside label(previous owner thought it looked tacky-orange) and no paperwork (COA)-Looks and feels legit to me, but I considered calling them...

17. patentcad

patentcad Member

18. davess23

davess23 Member

The 70's-80's had better tone? Maybe, but...better than what?

The guitar in question looks like a real deal Gibson of the era advertised to me, and I had Gibsons like it back then.

I want to be respectful of the brother who seemed frustrated by the question because he feels that people here should know what they're looking at, but I've got to say that I also respect a guy who might be thinking about putting down fairly serious money for his willingness to ask for some opinions from those who may know more than he does. I don't claim to any particular expertise, but I've been playing guitar for a few decades, and along the way I've owned a whole bunch of pretty good ones, and I still appreciate the advice I get here when I realize I'm out of my comfort zone on a given subject.

19. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

well, except...

those guitars had 300k volumes and 100k tones, which served to choke off all the clarity and sparkle.

get yourself a maple-neck custom like this one (thanks to that wear spot, we see that the neck is maple), rip out the pots for some 500k audio tapers, re-fret it with some real jumbos, and maybe throw in a hot bridge pickup, and you'll have one of the best hard rock/metal guitars ever.

20. hardys

hardys Member

The easiest way to determime a real Les Pauls is to tune it. If the strings bind in the nut and you hear that plinking sound, it's genuine!