Another Jim Kelley Line is coming

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
Fender deluxe reverb.
Hmmm. I can only guess you’ve never played a Kelley amp of any kind or been in the same room with one if you a “Deluxe reverb“ is even in the same realm. I mean it does use 6v6s. But, that’s where the similarities end. You might’ve been closer if you said a tweed bassman but still no.

but hey if you can post a clip of a deluxe sounding like a Kelley I’m all ears man. I anxiously await your clips. Until then. Please don’t clog up the thread for guys that know what they like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gentlebear

Silver Supporting Member
I've owned and played tons of deluxe reverbs. They are killer amps. They are not at all like my Kelley.

I have experience with these things and I really dig all of them. Do you think a Kelley sounds like a deluxe reverb?
No way you could tell the difference in a blind test.

Deluxe reverb and couple pedals and you’re right there.

How about a car on the side as well?

Or maybe food for a lot of needy people.

Last edited by a moderator:

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
I have to say I've tried quite a few amps out in my time, and I don't think I've found a reasonable alternative to Kelleys. I know I'm happy because I'm insane, but I'll take it. Very glad Jim is still building amps. Hope he does it for a long time.

The Kelley offering is the one that took the longest for me to pony up the price to play one of his designs. The clips I'd heard made me think of a Boogie MKI if I'm honest. I dig that sound and feel but I didn't really see the reason to spend more to get 'that' sound. Turns out that the Kelley is a fundamentally different experience. I'm very happy to have finally experienced what he built. He definitely deserves to be on the very short list with Fischer and Dumble.

beckstriad

I'm frosting a cake with a paper knife
Double Platinum Member
The Kelley offering is the one that took the longest for me to pony up the price to play one of his designs. The clips I'd heard made me think of a Boogie MKI if I'm honest. I dig that sound and feel but I didn't really see the reason to spend more to get 'that' sound. Turns out that the Kelley is a fundamentally different experience. I'm very happy to have finally experienced what he built. He definitely deserves to be on the very short list with Fischer and Dumble.

I can't say I've ever played a real dumble or Trainwreck, but I can say his work is among the finest I've seen. The circuit is unlike anything I've played and everything sounds good. I've played a few now, and there isn't one even in the realm of mediocre.

Gentlebear

Silver Supporting Member
Hmmm. I can only guess you’ve never played a Kelley amp of any kind or been in the same room with one if you a “Deluxe reverb“ is even in the same realm. I mean it does use 6v6s. But, that’s where the similarities end. You might’ve been closer if you said a tweed bassman but still no.

but hey if you can post a clip of a deluxe sounding like a Kelley I’m all ears man. I anxiously await your clips. Until then. Please don’t clog up the thread for guys that know what they like.
Ya…pretty wild guess about my amp experience but ok. If anyone random person would know it would have to be you.

I still stand by the deluxe reverb here for price vs performance.

Again, you can’t tell the difference in a blind test.

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
No way you could tell the difference in a blind test.

Deluxe reverb and couple pedals and you’re right there.

How about a car on the side as well?

Or maybe food for a lot of needy people.

Well...I've owned both. Recorded both...enjoy both.

Your response tells me that you've never been in a room with a Kelley...never played one. You should. There's no comparison to be made here.

But now you want to make it about "Feeding needy people..." You know, you could just play a basic solid state amp and give the rest that you spent on your deluxe reverb to those folks. 'Cause you seem to care.

Are you getting the full measure of attention you need? I want to make sure....

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
Ya…pretty wild guess about my amp experience but ok. If anyone random person would know it would have to be you.

I still stand by the deluxe reverb here for price vs performance.

Again, you can’t tell the difference in a blind test.
Not wild at all. There’s no way ANYONE that’s played a Kelley things they sound anything like a deluxe. I could explain to you why in technical terms just based on amp designs alone. But the proof is in the sound of the amp. So again, post your clips of your deluxe sounding like a Kelley. I’ll even make it easy. Post a clip Of your deluxe sounding like a Kelley. It doesn’t even have to sound like my “Angry Cello” clip. Just post something. Back up your claims. Until then, I dont see a point in responding to you further.

Gentlebear

Silver Supporting Member
In post 22 I said fender deluxe reverb with a couple pedals.

My point is that you can very close to that sound for literally a fraction of the price.

You wanna light fine me up fine. It’s not special sound, not by long shot.

Maybe it helps if you suck at guitar?

Gentlebear

Silver Supporting Member
Well...I've owned both. Recorded both...enjoy both.

Your response tells me that you've never been in a room with a Kelley...never played one. You should. There's no comparison to be made here.

But now you want to make it about "Feeding needy people..." You know, you could just play a basic solid state amp and give the rest that you spent on your deluxe reverb to those folks. 'Cause you seem to care.

Are you getting the full measure of attention you need? I want to make sure....
Ive got you riled up. Feels right.

You getting mad over there, love it.

Go tell on me.

Gentlebear

Silver Supporting Member
I still stand by my original assertion.

Deluxe reverb with pedals will get you there.

You don’t agree, fine. I wouldn’t want to either if I spent that kinda money on an amp.

There really aren’t any special sounds in amps, they can all be recreated fairly easily and inexpensively.

Ya wanna nit pick a .05% percent of difference in sound for an extra 13k…ok. That’s TGP.

I’ll say it again, none of you can tell the difference in a blind test.

Gentlebear

Silver Supporting Member
Actually, I'm just trying to understand where your opinion comes from. It's certainly not from experience....so, why post when you don't have the first clue as to what you're talking about?
Because I disagree with you I must have never played the amp in question?

That can’t actually be an example of your ethics?

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
Because I disagree with you I must have never played the amp in question?

That can’t actually be an example of your ethics?

My friend, you couldn’t be more obvious with your trolling. No, there is nothing to suggest you’ve ever played a Kelley…you wouldn’t be making this silly comparison if you had.

And, to be clear, I haven’t advocated for the Kelley to be superior to the deluxe reverb. I just know it’s completely different…because I’ve had both.

You’re the person arguing that they’re fundamentally the same.

And my response relate to ethics in what way?

Have you received enough attention now?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom