Another KLON Question...should I be trying others before I buy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TimH, Sep 21, 2006.

1. TimH

TimH Member

So The other KLON threads made me jump and put money down on one. After reading so many good things about the boostiest and cactus crunch I'm wondering if I should be trying these pedals first. I've never played a KLON but I'm looking for something to make my tone big and fat, without losing sparkle. I play an Anderson Classic through a DRRI (currently upgrading tubes to NOS and hopefully a speaker soon) and use an Eternity as my main OD sound. I'm a music director at a church and play with the DRRI around 3-4 most of the time.

I guess I'm just wonder if I should be looking at these pedals first before I drop some $450 on a KLON which I've never played but have just heard so much about?

2. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

If you want to use the Klon purely as an "enhancer" to what you've already got going on, it should be perfect...though expensive. If you are wanting to use it as an actual OD, be aware that it only does its thing if you have your amp running hot enough to get some natural tube overdrive on its own.

3. rabbit

rabbit Member

I´ve heard that the Red Snapper is/can be very Klon like and I have been using mine for a long time now how I would run a Klon - boosting the signal with a tad of od added from the pedal, that kind of od that melts with the amp´s od and does not "cover" it. Not one of the current hype pedals, I know :) , but just a thought...

4. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

I have a Klon & really really like it.
    If you just want use a pedal as a boost I liked the ZVex SHO, maybe a little on the bright side but still another excellent pedal.

5. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

There's a Burriss Boostier on eBay right now, only $100.
    Worth a try. (Not Mine)

6. mgrier1

mgrier1 Silver Supporting Member

Tim, Klon is only $344 shipped from Bill directly...

Send your check and when he cashes it sell whatever you bought before to offset expenditure. Best way to go, IMO...

Mike

7. Nathan

Nathan Member

You know, alot of people react to these online forums where one pedal gets praise and looks like the best "on paper". You can't know until you try it, but the Klon and some others are a HECK of alot of money, close to the price of a new amp. If you don't know what you want, BY ALL MEANS try some $100-200 before you decide you need the mighty Klon. I sold 2 Klons FYI because as good as it was at clean boosting, it did not work for me & my rig for overdrive. You probably know that already, but $344 for a clean boost is too much by far (it's also a huge pedal for no reason -if Finnegan wanted to, he could stuff all that in a mxr sized box). I've cheated myself out of alot of cash over the years because I bought into the hype (NOT saying the Klon is hype). I just want to advocate wise decision-making. My $0.02...

8. Craise

Craise Member

IMHO Put your $300+/new speaker$ into a new amp. Sell the RI fender and get something Point to Point...or vintage fender.... It will make your tone better than any pedal. Sorry I don't like DRRIs at all...to me they are cold and bright,brittle sounding amps....even more so when at low volume.
    As for the Klon it does sound good but mostly through a cranked amp...not so much at lower volumes...even the maker will tell you this.
    I'm surprised the E doesn't get you there? Maybe the CC or Timmy?
    Just another Opinion! :) Good luck!

9. TimH

TimH Member

the E gets me there but I want it for more of a drive type tone. I want the klon for my clean boost...something to make it fatter.

I'm working on new tubes and a new speaker already. Vintage DR's are more than I can spend right now...even if I ditched the KLON and the amp...

10. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

I'm on the list too, Tim...

In the meantime I'm using an RC Booster and a Carb - which together sold will fund the Klon if it's the "one"....
    The Carb (before the E) when set right does fatten the tone with just a little OD on top, and gives a treble boost to the Eternity and its adjustable in volume (unlike a COT50). It's just right for the little extra overdriven boost (E set low gain)

The RC booster at the end gives a boost that is completely transparent yet has some EQ shaping....

Really its pretty fat, easy to get the pedals and resell them.
    YMMV, but I'm pretty happy and feeling fairly 'fat'...

of course, I have to try the Klon to really see...

11. KRosser

KRosser Member

IMHO, it's never a bad idea to try lots of stuff, even after you get the KLON.

12. TimH

TimH Member

Yeah I sold my RC...something about it didn't feel right...the fattening wasn't in the right place. I want it in the lower mids...sort of like a TS in feel but without the boxyness. I want a softer smooth top end too...not at the loss of sparkle, just not spiky...

13. James Knox

James Knox Member

Hi Tim,

I'm also play every Thursday, Friday and Sunday at my church. Strats through Tweed Tube Amps - My main OD is a Lovepedal Eternity followed immediately by a Klon Centauer, which I use a lead boost. Also, the Klon is worth every penny for the top drawer buffer inside, even if you never kicked it on - but don't worry, you will want to kick it on!

The RC did not work for me either BTW...

Peace Bro,

James

14. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

FWIW, I have an RC Booster and a Klon. I've used both pedals primarily as clean boosts. I find the Klon to be a bit better than the RC in every way. (Haven't sold my RC, though. I use it sometimes at gigs to bring my Strat up to the level of my Les Paul + a bit of EQ.)

15. drolling

drolling Member

There is nothing - NOTHING - that sounds remotely like Klon, when used as a *clean* boost w/a good tube amp that's already workin hard. Many players also like the Klon's overdrive tones, but I'm not one of them.

Honestly, I'm w/Craise on this one - Klon's just a bit too much pedal for a DRRI, especially when considering you never run it hot. Retubing & a new speaker'll help, for sure, but if I was you, I'd take that money, plus whatever you can get for the Deluxe and get yourself a better amp.

I was lucky to have accumulated some very nice old PTP single channel nonmaster amps & some equally good guitars before I started hanging at TGP. Many of these hi-dollar pedals are designed to work their 'magic' w/vintage-style rigs - to take an already great guitar sound & squeeze just a little bit more out of it.. If you'e not happy w/your present tones a $400 pedal won't give you much more than a $40 pedal, IMO.

I see you're a fellow Canuck, so I appreciate the fact that there's probably no way for you to road test most of the gear we read about, but there are some stores up here that do stock some cheaper alternatives, like the Xotic RC Booster, for instance - I hauled one of my old blackface amps & my favorite tele to a local shop just to demo the pedal.. works very well as a gritty boost AND stacks well w/my Eternity (one of several pricey pedals I bought without being able to try).

Then there's Diamond pedals. Hard to find a better analogue delay than their MemoryLane, but their opto-comp can also be used to push your amp into powertube overdrive. This compressor's a great stacker w/OD pedals, as well. I use it to turn my mild-mannered HoneyBee into a fire-breathing monster. Another Diamond I picked up here at home is the new J-Drive TR. In addition to a thick, mid-heavy OD, it's got an independent boost circiut that can also be cascaded into the drive side. The boost's pretty neutral till you use the pull-pot to engage some NOS germanium transistors - Not a 'fat' sounding boost, the Ge trannies add a sizzling rangemaster-ish bite.. Really slices thru' the mix on stage.. It's a big pedal ('bout the same size as Klon) but very flexible & versatile. This one's not cheap (I paid $250 CDN) but it's loaded w/top-notch components and they could only get enough of those old transistors (15 bucks a pop, apparently) to produce a limited edition of 100. I've got #20:D

***EDIT*** Just noticed you've already been thru' the Xotic booster, but I'm w/KRosser..always a good idea to keep trying as much stuff as possible - also want to mention that, whenever possible, I try to hang onto pedals that don't seem to work for me.

They go into 'retiremt', only coming back out when I get a new amp or guitar.. Recent example; Got a Zendrive way back before Alf got swamped, but I couldn't dial it in to save my life. Picked up a cheap, used Epi Flying V on my last trip to TO, and blew the dust off ZD & plugged into an old Vibroverb - INSTANT Robben Ford/Dumble-type tones.. I was amazed at the huge difference that swapping out a single piece of the puzzle can make..

Another thing to consider.. Call Bill Finnegan and tell him what you're using & exactly what you're looking for. I've heard he's totally committed to what he's doing, and will discuss every aspect w/you in great detail.. I got mine 2nd hand, so never got to go thru' the "interview" process - but I've been meaning to give him a call anyway. If you haven't read any of his posts here yet, try diggin them up from the archives.. interesting stuff

16. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Member

Does Bill cash your check immediately upon receiving it or does he wait until he's ready to ship your pedal? Just curious. I didn't think to ask him that.

17. TimH

TimH Member

Thanks so much guys,

I'd like to say I'm not unhappy with the tone of my DRRI personally. I've tried alot of high end amps (SF Fender, Bad Cat, Germino etc) and I find this one to be ok for me. I'm definately a Fender guy. I'm not saying that the DRRI is as good as a vintage fender...but overall I'm not unhappy with the tone.

I've heard lots about the KLON and amps running hotter. I agree that all OD pedals sound best when running into a hot amp. I guess the question that I need to answer is whether the KLON is going to help me get that fat tone I'm looking for or whether indeed it would be best to get a cheaper pedal and a better amp...I'm figuring I could get about $700 CND for the DRRI and I've got $460 CND in for the KLON (plus whatever they charge me to get it across the border :rolleyes:...it was $50 for my E) so I don't know if I can get an old Deluxe for $1200 or not...I missed a '64 for that price about a month ago so maybe they can be found if I don't want reverb...which I don't use right now anyhow on the RI. Hrmmmm....I wish i could drop in and play a Deluxe with my E and possibly a light attenuator. It in my plans to build an ISO area for amps here at the church next year which might take care of the hot amp issue as well. So many variables to consider....arggg!

PS- I'm running an HBE comp right now which is good for helping the overall tone of my rig much as the diamond might be!

18. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I wouldn't get the Deluxe without the reverb. Even if you don't use reverb, I'm told it's a different and "inferior" amp, but check this out or yourself.

To those who know: How would you describe the difference between the Klon and the Z Vex SHO?

stratzrus

19. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

The Klon's a great pedal but there are many pedals that have unique personalities that are equally deserving of ownership. It is big but its built for warp speed and it's girth serves it well; great spacing of the knobs & angular platform make it very easy to manipulate with your boots on. The clean boost is really outstanding because it can actually overdrive the amp to a place the amp cannot go to on its own. Therefore creating the effect of the same tone but bigger. So, if you have a low wattage amp that you wish had extra kahunas then keep your amp and partner it with a Klon. The gain stage has multiple levels of grit and most have a smooth and dynamically gratifying aura. It’s not the best pedal ever created but it certainly is a pleasure to play. It’s very easy to get a big sound and the distortion is always milk shake rich. It needs volume to sound its best otherwise it will disappoint you. Many of my pro-playing friends sound much better than I do and they don’t use a Klon, so I find it hard to suggest that there is not a pedal that will satisfy you as well as the Klon. Sometimes I’ll never turn on anything other than my Hot Cake and I’m equally happy.

20. TimH

TimH Member

hrmmm...well I guess as with all things I'll just wait and see what happens with the KLON. Certainly for $350 I'll have to be floored by it to keep it. Until then I'll just keep on pickin'!